The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

So I finished Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood novelisation a while ago, but its taken this long to put how I felt about it into words.

I've been obsessed with his movies for over half my life now, which is probably why I found this book so disappointing and unnecessary.
I realise its meant to be cheap and trashy in order to be a genuine 60s drugstore paperback novelisation; but "The proposal Murdock Lancer proposed his sons was simple" is horrendous, and the book is full of these. The whole thing just has the tone of those gross monologues he sometimes writes himself into a movie for, it seriously sounds like a bedtime story read by stuntman Mike. You can clearly still shoot a movie roughly in the style of Golden Era Hollywood and still make it great, the same should be able to work for a book.

Speaking of Death Proof, that is an excellent adaption of a cheap, tacky style that stays genuine in being all about sex without having to resort to any self-gratifying nudity or sex scenes. This book on the other hand seems straight up transparent, with way too much plot regarding Hollywood's horrible, manipulative sexual power dynamics. Maybe this is throwing his best friend Harvey Weinstein under the bus, but its just way too uncomfortable and personal. Obviously it was (or is) truly the culture, but I don't know, it feels more like he's revelling in it than exposing it.

I love the movie this is based on, and rank it among his best. What I was hoping to get out of this book was an expansion, and hopefully some extra plot details to flesh out the setting. It does deliver on some of this, but to a minimum with how much the other aspects mentioned detract.
If writing is his retirement plan, I hope straight up novels suit him better. Or at least that he gets a better editor than Harvey was as a producer (who he clearly doesn't need).

So I finished Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood novelisation a while ago, but its taken this long to put how I felt about it into words.

I've been obsessed with his movies for over half my life now, which is probably why I found this book so disappointing and unnecessary.
I realise its meant to be cheap and trashy in order to be a genuine 60s drugstore paperback novelisation; but "The proposal Murdock Lancer proposed his sons was simple" is horrendous, and the book is full of these. The whole thing just has the tone of those gross monologues he sometimes writes himself into a movie for, it seriously sounds like a bedtime story read by stuntman Mike. You can clearly still shoot a movie roughly in the style of Golden Era Hollywood and still make it great, the same should be able to work for a book.

Speaking of Death Proof, that is an excellent adaption of a cheap, tacky style that stays genuine in being all about sex without having to resort to any self-gratifying nudity or sex scenes. This book on the other hand seems straight up transparent, with way too much plot regarding Hollywood's horrible, manipulative sexual power dynamics. Maybe this is throwing his best friend Harvey Weinstein under the bus, but its just way too uncomfortable and personal. Obviously it was (or is) truly the culture, but I don't know, it feels more like he's revelling in it than exposing it.

I love the movie this is based on, and rank it among his best. What I was hoping to get out of this book was an expansion, and hopefully some extra plot details to flesh out the setting. It does deliver on some of this, but to a minimum with how much the other aspects mentioned detract.
If writing is his retirement plan, I hope straight up novels suit him better. Or at least that he gets a better editor than Harvey was as a producer (who he clearly doesn't need).
Have you ever read the film scripts? I remember reading the Django Unchained script a few years ago and couldn't put it down. The story differs quite a bit from the film at parts and it was really gripping from what I remember.

Funny thing is, you’re basically describing why I rejected Death Proof the first time I saw it. I came back around on it on rewatches; maybe the same’s the case with this book.

He's made movie that I absolutely love (including OUaTiH). Couldn't finish this book.

I read She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan over the last couple of weeks and I think it's great. It's a war epic set in Ancient China and the main character is a girl who disguises herself as a boy so she can become a monk and escape famine. Her foil is a eunuch general in the Mongol army. The narrative voice switches back and forth between the two over a number of years. It was a good mix of characters and action, really enjoyed it.

Have you ever read the film scripts? I remember reading the Django Unchained script a few years ago and couldn't put it down. The story differs quite a bit from the film at parts and it was really gripping from what I remember.

Tbh I wasn't aware they are available, good to know though. There are definite bits I would like to check out in screenplay form.

Funny thing is, you’re basically describing why I rejected Death Proof the first time I saw it. I came back around on it on rewatches; maybe the same’s the case with this book.

To be fair, Death Proof made me uncomfortable for the first time when I watched it again after the Harvey story. I still find it way more forgiving than this novelisation though, and it has more to offer outside of that, and Mike gets way more of what was coming to him than anyone in OUaTiH.

Just finished Lost & Found: A Memoir by Kathryn Schulz. She masterfully combines storytelling with introspective thoughts on loss and death in society. I really really enjoyed it.

Time to actually get around to finishing The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

Just finished Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel. It's a nifty little bit of speculative fiction about time travel, pandemics and metaphysics. It's very lyrical. One of the best books I've read in some time. Might have even brought a tear to my eye.
Has been on my list for a few months, happy to hear it’s worth it!

Very excited to be the first check-out from my local library for this!

20220822_162247.jpg
20220822_162258.jpg20220822_162710.jpg

...so crisp and shiny!

I don't know that I've ever been the first person to check-out a novel from the library before. And perfect timing too, we're flying across the country on Wednesday to spend a week with the wife's family - should provide ample time for reading.

Very excited to be the first check-out from my local library for this!

View attachment 149388
View attachment 149389View attachment 149390

...so crisp and shiny!

I don't know that I've ever been the first person to check-out a novel from the library before. And perfect timing too, we're flying across the country on Wednesday to spend a week with the wife's family - should provide ample time for reading.
Let us know how it is! I’ve only seen Heat once, so I’m less attached to the movie. But I enjoy Mann increasingly (Thief, Manhunter) and am curious about it as a pop-cultural artifact.

Let us know how it is! I’ve only seen Heat once, so I’m less attached to the movie. But I enjoy Mann increasingly (Thief, Manhunter) and am curious about it as a pop-cultural artifact.

Manhunter is absolute brilliance!

I was hoping to watch Heat again before reading this but don't forsee that happening, sadly. I love it and have seen it about a dozen times, but none of those have been within the last 20 years.

Manhunter is absolute brilliance!

I was hoping to watch Heat again before reading this but don't forsee that happening, sadly. I love it and have seen it about a dozen times, but none of those have been within the last 20 years.
you may find this youtube short about it interesting

Loved it. Felt like I couldn't get enough time to read the psst few days. I wanted to devour it even quicker than I did! Great pacing and super engrossing, even in it's more predictable moments.

Loved it. Felt like I couldn't get enough time to read the psst few days. I wanted to devour it even quicker than I did! Great pacing and super engrossing, even in it's more predictable moments.
My copy is sitting on my desk. I love being the first person to take out a library book, before all you filthy animals get your grubby paws on it.

My copy is sitting on my desk. I love being the first person to take out a library book, before all you filthy animals get your grubby paws on it.
My mom worked the circulation desk of the local branch of the public library for about 20 years. Her main insight was that people do unspeakably gross things to library books (and IN the after hours book drop).

With the movie coming out soonish, I decided to re-read Delillo's "White Noise". Read it in college so it's been a while. Forgot how much of a trip it is....
Loved this too at a similar time in life to you. Didn’t realise a movie was coming, will have to give it to a re-read also.

Back