The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Finally got around to reading The Forever War. I enjoyed it. Definitely some cringey sex parts and attitudes about homosexuality that seemed clumsy at best which is what I'd heard, but other than that I thought it was a great read.

I haven't read anything published in 2019 that truly wowed me.
I started checking books out at the library on my kindle so I've been catching up on 2019 books as well. And I have to agree with you. I've read some good books. But I can not recall reading a great 2019 book.

Do you all have a favorite book of 2019 yet? I honestly don't know if I do.

I started checking books out at the library on my kindle so I've been catching up on 2019 books as well. And I have to agree with you. I've read some good books. But I can not recall reading a great 2019 book.

The Wagers by Sean Michaels was awesome. I also found Sally Rooney's Normal People very moving.

Looking back at GoodReads I actually got through ten 2019 releases. Lemme break them all down and see where we land:

Maid - A pretty good memoir and a look at the life of a young single mother. This book really showed how expensive being poor can actually be, though I felt the author would often depict people as not giving her much latitude or benefit-of-doubt while then casting similar judgement on others.

On The Come Up - I liked this book a lot, actually. The story doesn't necessarily take any truly surprising turns, but it concerns itself with some very contemporary (and mature) themes.

Miracle Creek - This one was fine. A pretty down-the-middle courtroom drama / mystery; I was intrigued enough to keep going with the whole thing, but it didn't really stay with me once I was finished with it.

Normal People - I've griped enough about this one. I wasn't really interested in the characters, I didn't understand why they kept breaking up, and I didn't really want to know if they'd make it as a couple.

Catch and Kill - Loved this one; listened to it as an audiobook. It was engaging, as well as interesting to learn more about the investigation behind Harvey Weinstein, though I wouldn't say I learned a ton that one didn't already learn from the resulting reporting.

Recursion - The first 2/3 of this book were pretty fun, Crichton-esque sci-fi thriller, but the last 1/3 was sloppy, silly, and involved one of the more gag-inducing romantic subplots I've read. Very surprised the Book Concierge picked this one.

Exhalation - I think I skipped the last story, or had to return the ebook before I got to it, but I loved this one. Ted Chiang is brilliant, and it's nice to read some sci-fi what-if with a little more humanity and hope than we attribute to "meaningful" sci-fi.

The Whisper Man - Another straight-down-the-middle thriller. Kinda creepy, but mostly not.

Ninth House - I enjoyed the worldbuilding and the characters, for the most part. I'm still around 30 pages from the ending, as the actual mystery at the heart of the story hasn't really pulled me in as much as I'd expected. But it was good, there's some interesting dark/mature magic to be found in this one.

The Testaments - This one I've been listening to on audiobook since earlier this week and I'm only an hour in. I like it better than I'd expected. It's certainly just filling in detail and new perspectives of Gilead so far, but I don't find it as pointless as some are saying.

So, looking over that list, I'd say On the Come Up or Exhalation were my favorite books to come out this year. Of the above, the only one's I'd outright steer folks away from are Normal People (I'm in the minority on this) and maybe Recursion.

Even when they describe it on year-end best-of lists, it doesn't actually sound like anyone read more than forty pages of Black Leopard Red Wolf.

Even when they describe it on year-end best-of lists, it doesn't actually sound like anyone read more than forty pages of Black Leopard Red Wolf.
What were your issues with it? My feelings on it are still pretty mixed after reading it earlier this year

I just finished Niccolo Rising by Dorothy Dunnett, the first book in the House of Niccolo series set in mid-15th century Europe (it seems there are African and Eurasian adventures too later in the series). Has anyone else read this series? She also has another series, The Lymond Chronicles, which I haven't read.

It was everything I'd want out of historical fiction and I think I may tear through the rest of the series even though there's other books laying around the house I should get to. IMO it was the perfect mix of characters, prose quality, intrigue, and plot hooks with pay-off.

What were your issues with it? My feelings on it are still pretty mixed after reading it earlier this year

I just tried really hard to get into it, but found it mostly confounding, bleak, and heavy-handed. The narrative is very fractured, and not just in the sense that it’s being told by the narrator post-facto; there are a lot of moments where a person turns out to be a beast or vice-versa (and we’re meant to understand the significance of the person or beast without being told what that is), there are mentions of people and places I don’t have any understanding of, everyone is an enigma. It was just doing so much, and I had nothing to actually hold onto in terms of plot, place or character. It feels like James was trying to replicate oral mythology in doing so, but I just felt like there was a lot that the author understood which I did not.

I know these are all traits of the best fantasy writing, but I don’t think it worked here. And, based on my gripes, the fact that all reviews (and now descriptions in year-end lists) simply cover the back-cover description of “tracker sent to find boy” tells me that the book was just as slippery for other readers. I haven’t seen anyone dig deeper into the plot/characters, and nobody can even explain what they liked about it, or why they liked it.

@Tyr and I talked about it a while ago. Whole series is on my to-read shelf. Someday. Someday.
Indeed we did! I shall share my thoughts below.

Starting this...recommended by a friend. Has anyone here read this?

I have read books 1-5. I purchased book 6 recently but am re-reading the series again over the holiday season prior to jumping into the last one, which I hear is a doozy. I am currently on book 2 again.

Karl Ove Knausgaard is a deeply introspective person and it comes across in a very vivid manner in his writing. He constantly analyzes the thoughts and reasons behind words and events almost as intricately as an anthropologist would. He also subscribes to the free-form thought association writing style that has been popularized by the autofiction genre (though I would contend that his writing falls more on the auto side). His writing will start by describing a specific event and devolve into a recollection of a previous event that has some anecdotal tie to the one he is initially describing. In some cases, he will jump to a third, and separate, event in his retelling of the first and second.

I say all that above to warn you about what you are about to undertake. The points above can either be positives or negatives depending on how you view writing. I have a strong affinity for the way he writes, even if he is wordy at times. Why take 15 words to say what could be said in 15 paragraphs? This seems to be the way he approaches not only environment building, but also character and dialogue structure. By the end of Book 1, you will know exactly how he makes his coffee (there is a lot of caffeine brewed in book 1), his thoughts on almost his entire family, how he ties his shoes, and what the lamp posts in Bergen look like in minute detail. LOL

In theory, his writing style shouldn't work. I've heard a couple people describe it as banal. But I COULD NOT STOP reading his books. His prose is both stylistic and heartbreakingly vulnerable. I initially tore through the first 3 books at lightning speed.

In short, I love these books. I talk about them regularly. But I only recommend them to certain types of people. I hope you enjoy it!

Same, except I’ve only bought the first book. Interested in hearing your thoughts on it @ranbalam !

I definitely will, I have barely cracked it open at this point...but even in the 15 pages I've read, I found that I wanted to get back to it soon.

Indeed we did! I shall share my thoughts below.

I have read books 1-5. I purchased book 6 recently but am re-reading the series again over the holiday season prior to jumping into the last one, which I hear is a doozy. I am currently on book 2 again.

Karl Ove Knausgaard is a deeply introspective person and it comes across in a very vivid manner in his writing. He constantly analyzes the thoughts and reasons behind words and events almost as intricately as an anthropologist would. He also subscribes to the free-form thought association writing style that has been popularized by the autofiction genre (though I would contend that his writing falls more on the auto side). His writing will start by describing a specific event and devolve into a recollection of a previous event that has some anecdotal tie to the one he is initially describing. In some cases, he will jump to a third, and separate, event in his retelling of the first and second.

I say all that above to warn you about what you are about to undertake. The points above can either be positives or negatives depending on how you view writing. I have a strong affinity for the way he writes, even if he is wordy at times. Why take 15 words to say what could be said in 15 paragraphs? This seems to be the way he approaches not only environment building, but also character and dialogue structure. By the end of Book 1, you will know exactly how he makes his coffee (there is a lot of caffeine brewed in book 1), his thoughts on almost his entire family, how he ties his shoes, and what the lamp posts in Bergen look like in minute detail. LOL

In theory, his writing style shouldn't work. I've heard a couple people describe it as banal. But I COULD NOT STOP reading his books. His prose is both stylistic and heartbreakingly vulnerable. I initially tore through the first 3 books at lightning speed.

In short, I love these books. I talk about them regularly. But I only recommend them to certain types of people. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing...I'm going to give it a go!

Finishing up the latest book in the sci fi book club I have with my friends (which has shockingly been going for 2 years???). But it's called The Sparrow and it's by Mary Doria Russell, and it's v good.

Closing out 2019 with How to Do Nothing by Jenny Odell. Didn't read nearly as much in 2019 as I would have liked, so this feels like a nice reset, and another goal to have for 2020.

I started A Brief History of Seven Killings last night. Before I realized what I have gotten myself into. Man, the reviews of this book are stellar but also frightening. This book might kill every single bit of my momentum to read 52 books in a year. Anyone else read it?

@Bennnnn - how are you progressing on that stream of consciousness book? Still enjoying it?
A Brief History of Seven Killings is one of the best books I've ever read. It was not as challenging as some of the reviews led me to believe it would be. The reviews said 75% of the book is in patois and very hard to follow. Um, not even a little bit of truth to that. Patois is just a dialect, it isn't a foreign language. And just a tiny bit of reading comprehension skills make it not difficult.

I will say this - I am happy that I read a little bit about the lay out of the book. Each chapter is from a different person's point of view and we aren't told who that person is. You have to intuit or figure it out. And one of the characters is a ghost, which I could see being confusing if you didn't know. But the skill that Marlon James possesses to give each of these characters a distinct voice is stunning. Marlon does not treat the readers with kid gloves. He throws you into the middle of the story, trusting that you are intelligent enough to pick it up as it goes. And the reader has to trust that Marlon is leading us somewhere, even if you don't really know where you are or where you are going. But there is a point, there is a fantastic story contained in this book.

I highly recommend this. It is very long. But I devoured it. I couldn't wait to get a break at work to pick this up and read more.

Finally finished reading this, which took me an embarrassingly long time (like a year and a half).... mostly because it’s not the best written book I’ve ever read. Also because it would send me on musical journeys.
FCB65D06-1219-4CA3-86D5-1CE4E4FE8A0B.jpeg

on to this Christmas present from my dear wife:
B6DA5EF6-F851-4CC9-8896-B912D2B86E5E.jpeg

I finished The Testaments.

I should not have read it right after A Brief History of Seven Killings, which was brilliant and dense. The Testaments felt really easy and light and like a YA book, which I know it isn't. It was good enough. It was great to get an update on several of the characters from The Handmaid's Tale. There was some backstory to some other characters. I don't know. Not my favorite book ever but not bad. It will probably get lost in the shuffle and I won't think about it again.

I started Space Opera which is about a Eurovision type talent show for the entire galaxy. The loser gets annihilated. It's hysterical, not for everyone at all. @Waitressboy - I think you told me about this book. Have you read it?

Back