The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

This seems either incredibly up my alley or like the most off-putting thing I'd ever read. I love a good, big book, but stream-of-consciousness can really smack me down on my butt.
Whereas this seems like something I would loathe. Lol. It gives me too much anxiety to not have a stopping place.
Yeah I don’t have much experience reading this kind of stream of consciousness writing, so it’s a learning curve. And I bet it’ll annoy a ton of people with how it’s written. But I’m finding it kind of accessible, more than I thought it would be.

Yeah I don’t have much experience reading this kind of stream of consciousness writing, so it’s a learning curve. And I bet it’ll annoy a ton of people with how it’s written. But I’m finding it kind of accessible, more than I thought it would be.

It does sound eccentric and different enough for me to attempt it. I just also know myself. I would start reading, not really like it but not want to admit defeat. So I would set it aside for a day. And the day would turn into a week. And I wouldn't have picked up another book so I would just not be reading.

It does sound eccentric and different enough for me to attempt it. I just also know myself. I would start reading, not really like it but not want to admit defeat. So I would set it aside for a day. And the day would turn into a week. And I wouldn't have picked up another book so I would just not be reading.
Haha I totally get that. I'm committing myself to finishing it even if it gets unbearable. I've only been able to read a little bit right now, and I have so much more to go. I hope I can do it.

Haha I totally get that. I'm committing myself to finishing it even if it gets unbearable. I've only been able to read a little bit right now, and I have so much more to go. I hope I can do it.

I just looked at a sample on Amazon. You are so right. Wall to wall text. Wow! But it is getting great reviews. I'm going to let you finish and give your thoughts before I decide if I want to attempt it.

And I have confidence that you will finish it.

This seems either incredibly up my alley or like the most off-putting thing I'd ever read. I love a good, big book, but stream-of-consciousness can really smack me down on my butt.
Whereas this seems like something I would loathe. Lol. It gives me too much anxiety to not have a stopping place.
No punctuation? I don't even like it when authors don't use quotation marks for dialogue.

Finished Invisible Women by Caroline Criado-Peres (sp?). Very good, especially if you’re in the mood for giving the patriarchy a kicking.

just starting I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. It got great reviews last year, so thought it was worth a shot.

Finished Invisible Women by Caroline Criado-Peres (sp?). Very good, especially if you’re in the mood for giving the patriarchy a kicking.

just starting I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. It got great reviews last year, so thought it was worth a shot.
I just finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark. Let me know when you finish, I am curious your thoughts!

Reactions: Tyr

I’ll Be Gone In The Dark is fantastic. It’s one of my favorite true crime books ever I think. I got really caught up in that case when I was reading it, and then kept following it after I finished.

Finishing up Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill on Audible. Farrow's a great narrator, and I really appreciated hearing the story of the footwork behind the investigation into Harvey Weinstein as well as other prominent men whose vile behavior finally made its way into the public discourse.

Next up on Audible is The Testaments. I've been hearing mixed-to-positive reviews across the board so I'm hoping it's an enjoyable listen.

Oh, in in terms of eye-reading, I've been humming through Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. It's pretty cracking (though a bit adult and definitely holds some trigger warnings), based on the premise that secret societies at Yale such as Skull N Bones are indeed occult cabals which use dark magic to gain wealth and power. The magic is cruddy and grimy though, which I like; the author does a good job of depicting magic as chaotic and way beyond our understanding.

@Max Sterling - Thanks for the recommendation on The First Law trilogy, I really enjoyed it. Glotka was such an amazing character and written so well. So many great but flawed characters throughout...it was a really fun read.

At the end...
I half expected one more "Still alive" from Logen

As per usual for me, I am on to non-fiction after I finish a fiction novel or series.
Started this yesterday
20191127_142616.jpg

@Max Sterling - Thanks for the recommendation on The First Law trilogy, I really enjoyed it. Glotka was such an amazing character and written so well. So many great but flawed characters throughout...it was a really fun read.

At the end...
I half expected one more "Still alive" from Logen

Sounds like you need to read The Great Leveller Trilogy next ;)

I'm on The Age of Madness Trilogy, now. A Little Hatred just came out this year and is set 25+ years after the events of Last Argument of Kings. It follows Glokta's daughter, the Dogmans daughter, and Jezal's son among other characters. I'm enjoying it.

I recently read the post apocalyptic Silo series by Hugh Howey. The first book Wool was pretty great, the following books Shift and Dust were... fine, I guess. The ending was a little flat. Felt like they ran out of ideas.

I started A Brief History of Seven Killings last night. Before I realized what I have gotten myself into. Man, the reviews of this book are stellar but also frightening. This book might kill every single bit of my momentum to read 52 books in a year. Anyone else read it?

@Bennnnn - how are you progressing on that stream of consciousness book? Still enjoying it?

I started A Brief History of Seven Killings last night. Before I realized what I have gotten myself into. Man, the reviews of this book are stellar but also frightening. This book might kill every single bit of my momentum to read 52 books in a year. Anyone else read it?

@Bennnnn - how are you progressing on that stream of consciousness book? Still enjoying it?
I really enjoyed The Book of Night Women. Black Leopard, Red Wolf, on the other hand, I did not enjoy and simply do not understand the praise for.

It's actually kinda nice; with BOTM this year I've made a concerted effort to read more contemporary books as they've come out, so now end-of-year lists are coming out and I have actual opinions about some of the books! I'm also baffled by the praise for Sally Rooney's Normal People, to be honest. Other than that, I've been agreeing with most takes, though I haven't read anything published in 2019 that truly wowed me.

I haven’t had the chance to read so much lately but yeah I like it more now for sure. I got used to the style pretty quickly, though I still have hundreds of pages to go...so we’ll see what happens.

by the way, I’ve had A Brief History Of Seven Killings on my to-read list for a while now. I don’t know much about it but what I read intrigued me.

I haven’t had the chance to read so much lately but yeah I like it more now for sure. I got used to the style pretty quickly, though I still have hundreds of pages to go...so we’ll see what happens.

by the way, I’ve had A Brief History Of Seven Killings on my to-read list for a while now. I don’t know much about it but what I read intrigued me.
A Brief History seems like it is a very big undertaking that will require patience and careful reading comprehension. I hope it isn't as challenging as Infinite Jest because that book got the better of me. I never finished it. I just honestly didn't know that A Brief History was also as challenging.

Anybody is welcome to add me on Goodreads. I'm falling far short of my reading goal for this year, unfortunately. Been too sad to focus on reading recently, but I'm sure I'll make my way back to it in the new year.
Haha, I just got your username. 🍻

Back