The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I find the Makeba a little too naive, I like something with a bit more bite. There are tracks and moments that grab me, but could really do without the Naughty Little Flea. I prefer the pure African stuff, parts of this feel diluted for a 60s American audience. 2.5 stars
Getting that a few more tracks in. The opening song was a strong highlight so far and was very exciting to my ears. The Naughty Little Flea song absolutely doesn't do it. But there are some strong highlights despite the several songs that do feel like nightclub songs for rich whiteys. Doesn't take away from her crazy talented voice though. I'd guess, following on @Lee Newman's comment, that she probably had to do a fair amount of this to get the contracts and find an audience and support then. But you get to something like Nomeva and she just takes the brakes off and it hits the veins like fire. The English standards are all more subdued. Plenty of gems between those though.

I had never heard of Miriam Makeba before today, and I was really enjoying the first half of this album, but I think the tracks in Xhosa are a lot better than the ones in English. I'd probably put this one as a 3 but I'll have to dig deeper on her as I was really liking a few of the tracks.

This Miriam Makeba is great. I really enjoyed The Click Song and Mbube (the basis for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight") as well as her cover of "House Of The Rising Sun" and "The Naughty Little Flea". 3.5 stars.

Also, I can't find a way to rate this album on the group yet and I don't know why.

#3 - Miriam Makeba - S/T

So this is a change of pace. I've never heard of this artist or album, unlike the first two which I know really well. Funnily enough, the first two were VMP Essentials and after listening to this, I'm surprised this hasn't been a VMP Classics pick. It seems right up their alley.

With that being said, if it was a Classics pick, it would be more along the lines of those I listen to once and never reach for again. As others have commented, the material is a little all over the map between African and more Western Jazz standards. The strongest material is the more African material that is unique and shows off her chops, but there's just not enough of it. Some of the other tunes on this like The Naughty Little Flea and One More Dance are dated and I don't need to ever hear again. She's a talented artist for sure, but I just don't find this album all that strong.

Rating 2.0/5

I mean this is a punk album. I wish I could give it more time than just a couple of listens before the next record. Something tells me the lyrics are the thing here.

It could very well be very innovative, but I have a feeling that my affinity for Rollins Band and Fugazi is overriding anything that was new here.

It does groove. Like I said above, think I should probably give the group some more of my time at some point. I do dig the groovier songs, but then there is stuff that doesn't sound indistinguishable from the Sex Pistols to me. And there is nothing as catchy as The Ramones here.

My thoughts on "Miriam Makeba":
There's still a number of non-English musical genres I'm still unaccustomed to, including African music & the work of Miriam Makeba, so this was a really insightful listen and Miriam herself is a great singer, even if the music itself didn't really hold my interest outside of a few songs. 3/5
fav: The Click Song
worst: One More Dance

Back