The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Reading up on her is a great idea. She was the first African Musician to win a grammy for the 1965 album An Evening with Belafonte/Makeba. She was an activist against apartheid and was eventually exiled from her home country. She was married to Hugh Masekela. She is also a featured musician on Paul Simon's Graceland (which is incidentally my personal project ROTD)

An Evening with Belafonte/Makeba is also a great album. It was my introduction to her just a couple of years ago when a friend gifted me a copy!

If you're newer to hip hop or of a different era and want to dig deeper into some quality late 80s early 90s stuff, Q-Tip provides an excellent checklist in "Verses From the Abstract" - everyone mentioned is worth checking out.

This is also an excellent hip-hop compilation from a couple of years ago

The Daisy Age by Various.
Various - The Daisy Age1674537909390.png

list 1
1. 1/20/2023 Artic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
RIYL Playlist
2. 1/23/2023 A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
RIYL Playlist
3. 1/24/2023 Miriam Makeba - Mariam Makeba
RIYL Playlist

Aggregate scores will be added the friday following the end of that week (For Example, AM was the the pick on 1/20, it's score will be added on 1/27). Aggregate score will only include ratings posted on the group site.

All playlists are collaborative, feel free to add music you think would be liked by those that like the album.
Added some general information re: aggregate scores and the playlists being collaborative.

That’s mental. Say what you will about the Gallaghers but regardless of the dwindling quality of their albums they were always a really good live act. Was only ever once disappointed by them live and that was the tour when Noel walked because Liam questioned his daughters paternity and he only came back for the UK gigs and spent the whole time with a face like thunder staring daggers at his brother. Every other time they put on a really top show.
Saw them in 2009. Liam’s voice was broken. Felt like a band that was on its last legs. Seen all of the “Britpop” bands that I wanted to, and they were one of the poorest. Saw them in Osaka, which was fun, though!

Saw them in 2009. Liam’s voice was broken. Felt like a band that was on its last legs. Seen all of the “Britpop” bands that I wanted to, and they were one of the poorest. Saw them in Osaka, which was fun, though!

Mad I saw them in Manchester on that tour and thought they were great! Unless it was just because it was the big hometown show. Blur were my disappointment, it was the tour after Graham Coxon left and it wasn’t bad per se but it was just a bit off. I really would love to see them again with the full band at some stage!

here's a great article on today's artist:
Excellent read, looking forward to listening to the record now!

I saw Oasis at Knebworth in 1996 and they were excellent.

Mad I saw them in Manchester on that tour and thought they were great! Unless it was just because it was the big hometown show. Blur were my disappointment, it was the tour after Graham Coxon left and it wasn’t bad per se but it was just a bit off. I really would love to see them again with the full band at some stage!
Saw reformed Blur twice - Hyde Park for the Olympics and at the Barras for the Magic Whip. Both excellent. Best Britpop live? Supergrass, I think.

I saw Oasis at Earls Court, Maine Road and Knebworth (kind of declining scale for me) and Blur at Mile End and Wembley Arena (latter complete with Ken Livingstone performing in person even). Loved them all. Supergrass great as well, but my personal favourites were the Charlatans, around 94 (might not be Britpop though). I have to say I preferred them at Knebworth to Oasis too (but that was also emotion after Rob Collins had just died). Glad we're all different though!

I'm going to give Miriam Makeba a go again. I had Pata Pata for a long time but got rid of it recently. I've got a couple of tracks from her time in Guinea in the early 70s, which are decent enough. Can't say I know this album though.

(BTW - quick Q on this 1001 thing - when I signed up for the group, it made my personal album a day disappear. So I signed out of the group as I knew I would see the album here each time. Anybody know what I did wrong?)

I'm going to give Miriam Makeba a go again. I had Pata Pata for a long time but got rid of it recently. I've got a couple of tracks from her time in Guinea in the early 70s, which are decent enough. Can't say I know this album though.

(BTW - quick Q on this 1001 thing - when I signed up for the group, it made my personal album a day disappear. So I signed out of the group as I knew I would see the album here each time. Anybody know what I did wrong?)
No clue. Did you go back to the link they sent you for your personal?

No clue. Did you go back to the link they sent you for your personal?
Hmm, may have deleted that one. The album I was given that day (Count Basie) has completely disappeared though. I am now back on my personal track but it seems overwhelmingly to give me albums I know so far...

Hmm, may have deleted that one. The album I was given that day (Count Basie) has completely disappeared though. I am now back on my personal track but it seems overwhelmingly to give me albums I know so far...
Your damn encyclopedic knowledge of music.

Your damn encyclopedic knowledge of music.
Ha! I don't think so, just bad luck so far. I did get one album/band I've never even heard of - Elephant Mountain by The Youngbloods. Plenty of other choices people have got that I've never heard. I was actually feeling it was more like how dull my tastes were!

Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba
I’ve pretty much approached international music the same as instrumental music. Saves me all the worry.

I am always slightly concerned that I’m listening to some neonazi rhetoric but I’m hoping you guys will save me if I ever stumble upon such a thing.

1/24/2023
View attachment 164945
Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba

Allmusic Review:

RIYL will come shortly.

This is a completely new discovery for me and that opening note of her incredible voice on The Retreat Song just blew my socks off. Three tracks in and this is exactly what I was hoping to get out of this project. Amazing voice, rhythm, and beats.

I find the Makeba a little too naive, I like something with a bit more bite. There are tracks and moments that grab me, but could really do without the Naughty Little Flea. I prefer the pure African stuff, parts of this feel diluted for a 60s American audience. 2.5 stars

Back