The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Wire - Pink Flag
The epic(ish) post-punk opener descends into generic garage-punk strumming.

ELASTICA!

Really not sure about his voice.

The longer songs are definitely better than the < 2 minute ones.

Pink Flag is a good song, like this one a lot.

Is this an R.E.M. song or is this a Wire song or is it someone else's entirely?! I know it as a song R.E.M. have done, possibly a cover. Like the guitar tone, though. Vocals are terrible.

I already have Mannequin "hearted" in Spotify, so I must have heard this one before. Yeah, this one is alright, like the bass playing.

Strange one, feels like a greatest hit album padded out with rarities and b-sides because they realized there weren't enough hits.

2 stars.

Wire - Pink Flag

So I really like this one. It’s right in my comfort zone almost being within an album the point where punk mutated into post punk. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of it it’s hard to be a fan of post punk without acknowledging that its sticky fingers are showing on all your favourite acts and albums. It’s very much the art school kids take on punk.

But sometimes with these highly influential albums they maybe aren’t as across the board brilliant as some of the people who took them as influences and built upon the template. Love it. Love some of what it influenced more. A score is difficult, 3.5 feels mean but 4 feels generous. Always be generous.

Score 4/5

Last edited:
Wire - Pink Flag

So I really like this one. It’s right in my comfort zone almost being within an album the point where punk mutated into post punk. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of it it’s hard to be a fan of post punk without acknowledging that its sticky fingers are showing on all your favourite acts and albums. It’s very much the art school kids take on punk.

But sometimes worry these highly influential albums they maybe aren’t as across the board brilliant as some of the people who took them as influences and built upon the template. Love it. Love some of what it influenced more. A score is difficult, 3.5 feels mean but 4 feels generous. Always be generous.

Score 4/5
Yeah it’s one of those milestone records that feels like it. If I had heard it out of context, I’d probably think it was some kids aping on a bunch of stuff and making it punk. Very much plays like a all the cool bands you listen to listened to this type of album.

Back