The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

4/24/23
e368b28be0abbf0d38660fd9dfc04de63eb5fdb5

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I celebrate their entire catalogue.

This album is my third or fourth favorite SD album. I tend to prefer Aja and Gaucho but this and Pretzel Logic are both phenomenal within their own way. The earlier albums were closer to straight ahead 70s AM rock. I get people don’t enjoy their later jazz-rock fusion albums but their earlier albums only flirt with that sound.

How many SD albums made the list? I’ve seen Aja and Can’t Buy A Thrill but I would assume Pretzel Logic made it and wouldn’t be surprised if maybe another one or two were included as well?

4/24/23

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

The guitarists on this record are Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter and Elliott Randall.

Another musician out there really dug Elliott's playing...

"Jimmy Page called Reelin’s solo his favourite in Classic Rock in 1999, and in 2016 he rated the solo 12/10 to YouTuber Oliver Patrick Loughnan."

An interesting read...

I also wanna say I feel like critics sometimes miss how funny the band is. They took their name from a brand of vibrators and write songs about partying in LA over innocuous soft rock. They are singing about prostitutes and blow and lots of folks don’t even realize it.
Their name is a dildo in Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs.

I love Steely Dan. I don't know that I wanted to know that they were named after a dildo or that their songs are about prostitutes and blow. Although, all my love of the band till the last year or so has been devoted to Aja (which has its fair share of that as well).

tldr; I'm a prude.

Oh, Steely Dan! Another one of those huge 70s rock bands that I'm only vaguely familiar with and that I really can't name a single song by, but when I hear them I usually realize "oh, they made THAT one?".
This sounds very soft and totally without any friction whatsoever (totally congenial with name perhaps...sorry bout that).
Oh, I know this one, "Dirty Work"! Was that one in a movie?
Guitar solo. Again. *yawn*
This also sound vaguely familiar, but most of the songs kinda blend in with each other. *yawn*
Is there's nothing at all on this record that I can actually react to? Everything is just....I dunno....it just is.
Zzzzzz....oh, another one I've heard!....zzzzz....2 stars.

So reeling in the years is the theme tune to a half hour show RTÉ runs every day before the news. Each episode goes through the main news and culture of a year since the broadcaster began.

I always thought it must have been some boring tune by so no mark native band that never made it to keep the royalties down. It’s really very very bad.

4/24/23

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

This is what I had to say when it came up as my first record in my abandoned solo listen project:

I already recognize the first track, funny when that happens when you listen to a band you don't really think you've listened to that much. Decent record, nice songs, definitely a toe tapper.

And I gave it 3 stars.

I'll have another listen later today, but for now I stand by those 3 stars!

Back