The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
I scored another record down previously in the list for being too polished and too well constructed, and I think I shall have to do the same here.

I initially scored this a 3 when I listened to it (for the first time ever) in my solo listen through, but I think it is only fair and consistent that I score it a 2 on a re-listen. It is all a bit boring at the end of the day.

2 / 5 stars.

This contains perhaps my favourite Steely Dan song in "Brooklyn (Owes The Charmer Under Me) so it is an album that I have a big soft spot for. Still remember buying the CD boxset as a 14yo and one of my first ever solo purchases. I'm not doing the project any more but it would have to be a 4.5 for me

4/24/23
e368b28be0abbf0d38660fd9dfc04de63eb5fdb5

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

This one even has a Steely Dan song I like on it. 1/5

4/24/23
e368b28be0abbf0d38660fd9dfc04de63eb5fdb5

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

So, if these dildos are named after a sex toy, is "Dirty Work" about a sex toy going on strike?

I don't know yet if this is a 1 or 2 for me but it's definitely not something I plan to listen to again other than when it comes up in my personal project - and even then, begrudgingly.

Yeah, 1/5 for me.

I listened to T Rex and Steely Dan today, since I own both of them on vinyl. I give them a 4 and 3 respectively.

I'm honestly surprised by all the Steely Dan hate here.
As a former Steely Dan hater myself, I get it. They are an easy band to rag on. Once I allowed myself to give them an honest listen I finally understood the appeal and embraced there clinically pristine production of easy listening jazz-rock fusion cut against biting sardonic witty lyrics. It works for me.

I like Steely Dan, this album is weak, but Steely Dan is good. Aja is an all time classic. I have slowly been checking out their other albums and they are all better than Can't Buy a Thrill and I gave it a 3, so I don't hate it. It just is (mostly) not as inspired as their later albums.

I don't really hate Steely Dan either. It just isn't my genre, I guess.

Now Psycho Candy: This i probably an easy five for me, but I realized I haven't listened to it in a long time, so I'll do that first, and will probably write something about it låter.

Back