The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

4/20/23
2731ab5abe0510ef27fde730fd0c24c8c191a8ad

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Allmusic Review:

RIYL playlist:

Another artist(s) going forward in time to steal a song to go back and record it first!

Who does it best (Suggs!!)

I feel like I should be in some kind of medieval court dancing round a pole waving a hankie or some shit.

Lie la lie, lie la lie la lie la lie
Lie la lie, lie la lie la lie la lie, la la lie la lie

Did this song inspire the film, 'Baby Driver'?

It is a toe-tapper though!

Thematically, this record feels all over the place.

Yeah, it's alright, but massively overrated, I feel.

3 / 5 stars.

Behind CSNY, lots of Simon & Garfunkel got played in young ImTheOceans house and the 70's socal hippie church we attended. That being said, I find most of their albums have great singles and some overpretentious filler. While the same can be said here, even the weaker tracks have great moments.

The horn section on Keep The Customer Satisfied, Garfunkels vocals on the title track, The Boxer all make this 5/5.

4/20/23
2731ab5abe0510ef27fde730fd0c24c8c191a8ad

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Allmusic Review:

RIYL playlist:

Obviously I know some songs from this but never listened to the full album. It's pretty good. Not sure if I'll go 3 or 4 for rating.

Does it seem kind of odd that there's just a live track thrown in the middle of the album?

Last edited:
My wife and I talked about it recently but Art Garfunkel's is similar to Ben Folds, especially on Bridge Over Troubled Water and So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright. I'd never listened to this album before but it's good. A 3 or 4 for me.

Also, Kishi Bashi did a cover of Only Living Boy a few years ago that I enjoy...

This is a tough one, I only recently (in the last two years) started listening to it and have never really spent a lot of time with it. I like it but I don't love it, I guess I could eventually give it a 5, but now its around a 3. I also feel like context would be helpful. Has anyone ever listened to the albums before the name got shortened and they were an acoustic duo? (may see if that stuff is on youtube somewhere since it deosn't seem to be on apple or spotify.) Reading up on it, I'm having a hard time reconciling the two. I'm also conflicted because things like Monolith are absolutely brilliant but then Jeepster feels kitschy and like it belongs to a lesser band. I'm gonna spend some time with it this weekend and report back sunday night.

I am 100000% sure you've heard Get It On.

Everyone has heard that song. And liked it. If not, there's something very, very wrong with them.

My wife (fiancée at the time) and I had a running joke about Bang A Gong. After our wedding ceremony, we hopped in the car to make our getaway and T. Rex 'Bang A Gong' was playing on whatever station we were tuned to when we started the car. I could barely steer as we were laughing so hard.

That day was this day 39 years ago. We're still cognizant enough to laugh at the T. Rex wedding joke.

20220420_022603.jpg

Both the album and the wedding rate a strong 5/5.

I am 100000% sure you've heard Get It On.
Listening to Jeepster now, and I've heard that one too. I'm sure I've heard plenty before, but I tend to mix up T-Rex with stuff like Mott the Hoople and other glam stuff. Yes, even Bowie. This is not a genre I'm that well oriented in. But I'm really digging this so far!

4/21/23
ab67616d0000b27361a23657edb5d80fa18a630d

T. Rex - Electric Warrior

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

My Spotify played Mambo Sun yesterday and then it immediately followed it up with Art Deco Halos, the PM Dawn song that samples it.. it's weird when that happens

Everyone has heard that song. And liked it. If not, there's something very, very wrong with them.

My wife (fiancée at the time) and I had a running joke about Bang A Gong. After our wedding ceremony, we hopped in the car to make our getaway and T. Rex 'Bang A Gong' was playing on whatever station we were tuned to when we started the car. I could barely steer as we were laughing so hard.

That day was this day 39 years ago. We're still cognizant enough to laugh at the T. Rex wedding joke.

View attachment 172588

Both the album and the wedding rate a strong 5/5.
I love you so much you are a treasure (work on the other hand, I am becoming increasingly concerned that I am actually working with a bunch of circus clowns.)

Back