The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

David Fricke sure liked it:

Seems pretty spot on.

Beck is an interesting musician. He seems to be in a pop phase right now but most of the rest of his career switches between these modern folk things that recall other eras/scenes and his hipster collage of sound thing. Even when he’s not at the top of his game, he’s interesting. Hell he even managed to get the Black Krys to make an interesting album

David Fricke sure liked it:

Seems pretty spot on.

Beck is an interesting musician. He seems to be in a pop phase right now but most of the rest of his career switches between these modern folk things that recall other eras/scenes and his hipster collage of sound thing. Even when he’s not at the top of his game, he’s interesting. Hell he even managed to get the Black Krys to make an interesting album

There’s no byline in the pitchfork review, but they um didn’t like it.

As much as I hate reviews, at some point or another, we all become critics, especially if there's a record we ridiculously love and want to spread that love to others or there's an LP we can't get behind at all and want to save our friends from a heinous aural fate.

I'm a dumb guy so I roll with that simpleton methodology - if it's music you dig, it's great. If it's music you don't dig, it's great for someone else out there.

I'm not a Beck head but I really like this record.

Last edited:
As much as I hate reviews, at some point or another, we all become critics, especially if there's a record we ridiculously love and want to spread that love to others or there's an LP we can't get behind at all and want to save our friends from a heinous aural fate.

I'm a dumb guy so I roll with that simpleton methodology - if it's music you dig, it's great. If it's music you don't dig, it's great for someone else out there.

I'm not a Beck head but I really like this record.
Preach on brother!

So ok, that was pretty great. I had heard a few of the songs before but this was still surprisingly earnest and sad, no tongue-in-cheek ironic ennui anywhere.
I'd also recommend Morning Phase, which is kind of the musical counterpart to Sea Change, but from a few years later. I actually prefer MP as, for some reason, I was never a huge Sea Change fan.

I figured you would like Beck does sad slow Radiohead.

I think often personality, or more accurately artistic personality, can be an issue. I find that Beck in a lot of ways rubs me up the wrong way. Being sad and slow doesn’t change that. I gave a few a go that were highly rated because people I respect loved him. Wasn’t for me, this was probably the closest.

Beck is an interesting musician.

I don’t really enjoy beck at all. This album is the one of the few of his I got that I could listen to more than once. Still not enough to stop it going in the sale pile.

I think often personality, or more accurately artistic personality, can be an issue. I find that Beck in a lot of ways rubs me up the wrong way.
100% agree with Joe here. I think of Beck as an utterly forgettable, uninteresting musician, who makes some occasionally interesting music. What is Beck's persona/narrative/defining characteristic? No clue.

I respect when artists try to remove ego from the equation and let the work speak for itself, but I also see this particular artist as a quasi-anonymous blank. I think of him as someone whose albums get attention specifically because everyone thinks that everyone else thinks that you're supposed to give Beck albums attention.

And to quote the late, great @gouis, IMO that's a whole lot of attention to devote to someone whose work is for the most part unremarkably pleasant and is generally just "fine."

Back