The Needles & Grooves May 2024 Omniversal Spin Challenge Arkestra

Day 3

IMG_7300.jpegJimbo Mathus & Andrew Bird - These 13

The prompt today sounded as if it came from a victrola being broadcast from the past and its genre shifted several times. Of course, this made me think of old timey music which is fully on display in this album. Bird and Mathis both are known to be chameleons when it comes to genre. They are also a little left of center, if you catch my drift. Which I am fairly certain is an apt description of this month’s featured artist.

Last edited:
May 4 - Great Balls Of Fire

Dark Star was a staple for the Dead and I was recently reading about how scientists now think that supermassive dark stars, far larger than the largest stars known in existence today and which would have had the luminosity of billions of suns, existed in the early universe. Literally the greatest balls of fire to ever have existed.

IMG20240504154943.jpg

May 4 - Great Balls of Fire

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

An immediate leap from the prompt. Not sure why though. Just happens to be my favourite scene from one of my favourite movies. Think I might watch it again this weekend.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die.
IMG_0293.jpg

May 4 - Great Balls Of Fire

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard "Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava" (2022 KGWL)
Wizards are known for throwing fireballs. Also, the album features the tracks Magma and Lava, which are pretty fiery. Finally, there is a track called Gliese 710, which is a star, and is therefore literally a great ball of fire.

IMG_1167.JPG

May 3 - Sun Song

Mastodon – Once More 'Round The Sun
Reprise Records – 543259-1, 2014

Limited quad gatefold edition

Cut by Ray Janos at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Record Industry

JMaFFCF.jpg

R4u7Uli.jpg

Back