The Needles & Grooves May 2024 Omniversal Spin Challenge Arkestra

Gonna try to play more records, so joining in this month...

May 1 - The Beginning Of

May. Happy May Day.

Paul Giovanni, Gary Carpenter, Magnet – The Wicker Man (The Original Soundtrack Album)
Music On Vinyl – MOVLP063, 1998/2010

Pressed at Record Industry

e9jDC9f.jpg

wL217pc.jpg

One of my all-time favourite films! I've got a Silva Screen version of the soundtrack, but this one's been on my wantlist for a while now.

I have no idea how this relates to today's theme, but I'll have to try it!

Avecigrec's theme about beginnings -> me playing Life's Rich Pageant because it contains Begin The Begin -> me booting up the X-box and playing Fallout 4 while R.E.M is spinning loudly -> last track Superman starts playing -> at the time, I'm attacking a bunch of robots and raiders with Grognak's axe while in my Sugarbombs power armor -> the music and action was gelling -> "I am, I am Superman, and I can do anything" -> me satisfied

fd438739-1ccf-475b-8da2-9b46480945d9_text.gif

Day 1
IMG_7285.jpeg
Shabaka and the Ancestors - Wisdom of the Elders

This was the first thing I heard from the London scene. I’m fairly certain is was during the time I was using tidal and something about the cover just stuck out to me.

I kind of forgot about it for a minute and then I got the We Out Here comp and I discovered this was still available on vinyl and I picked it up.

So there’s a beginning there with Shabaka and an interest from me into current jazz beyond Kamasi and the WCGD. I’d also use Shabaka and that scene as a route to the Chicago scene.

I also believe that Sun Ra would very much approve of the work of Mr Hutchings and Washington.

Finally, I remember that the interesting percussion on this album was one of the things that really intrigued me (of course when I discovered Sons of Kemet shortly after THEY BLEW MY MIND)

I also believe that Sun Ra would very much approve of the work of Mr Hutchings and Washington.

Added bonus:

1000004155.jpg

Shabaka Hutchings joined the Sun Ra Arkestra 10 years ago for BBC Radio 3's Sun Ra Centenary Session.

[Edit to add:] Sunny may have been 21 years gone at the time but Marshall Allen clearly approved – and it's fair to say he's the closest we have to Sun Ra's thinking anymore!

Last edited:
May 2 - The Second Stop Is Jupiter

Giorgio Moroder – Scarface (Original Motion Picture Score - 40th Anniversary Edition)
La-La Land Records – LLLLP 2008, 2022/2024

White w/ Red Splatter "Chainsaw" variant limited to 750.

Cut by Adam Gonsalves at Telegraph Mastering
Pressed at Waxwork Records

wQ5kV52.jpg

aj6G9yV.jpg

They used a few different synths on this soundtrack, but the Jupiter-8 was the main one.

Long time listener, first time caller. I shall use my skills of deduction and take the prompts as literally as I do the clues in the AOTM threads :)

May 1 - The Beginning Of
IsisOceanic
Track 1: The Beginning And The End

20240502_173612.jpg

Attila CsiharVoid Ov Voices : Baalbek
Side A: Night Of 29th March (On My 41st Birthday) In Hotel Jupiter In Baalbek While Looking At The Thrilitons Of The Jupiter Temple.

20240502_173811.jpg

Long time listener, first time caller. I shall use my skills of deduction and take the prompts as literally as I do the clues in the AOTM threads :)

May 1 - The Beginning Of
IsisOceanic
Track 1: The Beginning And The End

View attachment 201772

Attila CsiharVoid Ov Voices : Baalbek
Side A: Night Of 29th March (On My 41st Birthday) In Hotel Jupiter In Baalbek While Looking At The Thrilitons Of The Jupiter Temple.

View attachment 201773
How does that Csihar sound on vinyl? It's one of those records that I think any pops or crackle would ruin my listening experience.

Back