The NBA Thread

NBA experts. Someone fill me in on the Ben Simmons thing. Is the market for him basically non-existent or is it just that Philly wants too much for a player with psychological question marks?

Anyone - watch that malice in the palace thing on Netflix? I was never a Pacers guy but those teams were fun. I miss the defense and Ron Artest.

NBA experts. Someone fill me in on the Ben Simmons thing. Is the market for him basically non-existent or is it just that Philly wants too much for a player with psychological question marks?
Little bit of both. The markets really slim for a tall point guard who cant shoot at all and has shown hesitancy at attacking the basket. Combine that with his big ass contract and its slim pickins. Doesn't help that Philly is looking for a big name player, and are trying to hold out for Lillard (don't think that will happen).

It's both.

Morey is playing hardball and asking other teams to give up too much. Philly is in a tough situation because they're ready to win now (with Embiid in his prime), so they need a proven star in return (instead of something abstract like 6 first-round picks, even though that would be a great haul for a rebuilding team).

And, of course, Simmons is a limited player. He can do some stuff incredibly well, but so far has come woefully short in the playoffs. I get that many players are labeled failures/frauds until they finally win and their reputation magically changes, but the holes in Simmons' game are about as glaring as they could be. The guy literally does not shoot! It's probably possible to build a winning team with him as the third wheel (the Butler version of the Sixers definitely could've won the title that year), but it would take a lot of work.

I do love that a few days ago Draymond was trending on Twitter because people realized he's a better player than Simmons.

Does Simmons still have growth potential? or are his skills and talents maxxed-out?

I heart the sixers but from my non-expert view I don't think they're one piece away with or without Simmons.

Last edited:
Does Simmons still have growth potential? or are his skills and talents maxxed-out?

I heart the sixers but from my non-expert view I don't think they're one piece away with or without Simmons.
I’m not a Sixers fan but I think I disagree here. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Sixers nearly won the title on the Jimmy Butler year (losing to the eventual champions Raptors in Game 7 after Kawhi’s miraculous four-bounce shot).

If the Sixers added someone like Dame (or even if they replaced Simmons with him), they would absolutely be on the short list of teams that could win it all. Embiid is a superstar and they have solid role players. They just need a high-level perimeter creator/scorer (don’t we all) to be taken seriously.

I’m not a Sixers fan but I think I disagree here. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Sixers nearly won the title on the Jimmy Butler year (losing to the eventual champions Raptors in Game 7 after Kawhi’s miraculous four-bounce shot).

If the Sixers added someone like Dame (or even if they replaced Simmons with him), they would absolutely be on the short list of teams that could win it all. Embiid is a superstar and they have solid role players. They just need a high-level perimeter creator/scorer (don’t we all) to be taken seriously.

I personally don't think the supporting cast around Embiid is enough and I think there is reason enough to be concerned about Embiid's long-term health given his injury history. If they are all healthy and added Dame - y maybe but Portland would be crazy to do that.

You understand. We are in the same win-now mode.

As a Blazers supporter I actually think Simmons would be a good get for the Blazers but only in a draft picks scenario. Simmons can defend the 4 right? A starting 5 of Dame, CJ, Snell or Covington, Ben, and Nurkic is pretty appealing but obviously the money doesn't work and the sixers would need to accept a bag of chips and some draft picks. Dame is going to get old quick particularly if he has to keep carrying so much of the load. He's been in the league 8 years and I think he was a 4 year college guy when drafted.

Anyone - watch that malice in the palace thing on Netflix? I was never a Pacers guy but those teams were fun. I miss the defense and Ron Artest.

As someone who has been a witness to what the Kardashian/Jenner curse does to their exes that are athletes. I would say yes. He may have one more big outlier year.....but he done peaked.

Pray for Mr. Booker now. If they (DevxKendall) don't tie the knot soon, the Suns may never be the same

I honestly hope they let Simmons rot away on the bench this year until they can get a decent return for him. Players want out all the time, if Dame or Beal or whoever start asking out then teams will look more kindly at getting a player like Simmons in return. Or at least I hope so

Last edited:
As a Blazers supporter I actually think Simmons would be a good get for the Blazers but only in a draft picks scenario. Simmons can defend the 4 right? A starting 5 of Dame, CJ, Snell or Covington, Ben, and Nurkic is pretty appealing but obviously the money doesn't work and the sixers would need to accept a bag of chips and some draft picks. Dame is going to get old quick particularly if he has to keep carrying so much of the load. He's been in the league 8 years and I think he was a 4 year college guy
Out there just running around
Ea1qXYBXkAArt6J.jpg

Honestly a CJ McCollum package is probably the best Philly could do, and would be pretty good for both sides. Portland moves away from the undersized backcourt and gives Dame another playmaker. Philly gets an elite shooter to run the pick and roll with Embiid and take JJ Reddick's old spot up role. Just seems like Morey wants to push for Lillard.

If im the Blazers I probably still say no though.

Honestly a CJ McCollum package is probably the best Philly could do, and would be pretty good for both sides. Portland moves away from the undersized backcourt and gives dame another playmaker. Philly gets an elite shooter to run the pick and roll with Embiid and take JJ Reddicks old spot up role. Just seems like Morey wants to push for Lillard.

If im the Blazers I probably still say no though.
I would happily do a Ben for CJ deal at this point

I would happily do a Ben for CJ deal at this point

y - that would make sense for Philly and maybe Portland would bite if some bench guard shooting was included (Curry?)

Out there just running around
View attachment 113443
I admittedly don't follow closely enough but he seems like someone that can provide some shooting and 6th man minutes. Seems weird to cite one awful night from 2017.🤷‍♂️

Back