The NBA Thread

The over/under and favorites in series are set by people who know sports waaaaay better than any of us. So the sixers winning a dozen more games than expected of them isnt an underachievement. Vegas said the Raptors and Celtics the year before were better than the Sixers and that was the truth, also not an underachievement. I know Simmons and Embiid are superstars in this league but they are still pups and werent anywhere near the usual 6 year time period where guys truly start competing for championships
The Raps had the best player but the Sixers had what, 4 all stars? Sixers starting 5 on paper was better than the Raptors. Jo not being in shape or healthy to play every minute didn't help. Maybe that's an unrealistic expectation, but when you read about his diet last year and how out of shape he was combined with how injury-prone he has been, you really have to wonder who wins that series if Jo is actually in shape...especially when you look at the on/off stats...

When I say underachieve, I'm of the Ricky Bobby mindset--if you're not 1st, you're last. Especially in the case of last year's Sixers team. The year before, they overachieved in the regular season and made progress in the finals. Their goal last year was to win the championship. They made a lot of big moves last season. They traded some nice pieces for Jimmy Butler to try to put them over the top and they traded for Tobi. I don't think any player on that team was happy with how their season ended last year. Ultimately, the regular season doesn't mean a ton to me as long as you get into the playoffs. The Warriors lost 9 games all season in 2016 and lost in the Finals. I'm sure they don't care about the regular season record.

That depleted Boston team was better than their full strength version last year.
Because guys knew their roles and guys were buying into the team instead of all trying to one up each other. That team's locker room was a mess last year and forcing Hayward into a starting role was a really poor choice by Stevens. This is why I don't think the Nets will be better in the regular season than they were last season. Kyrie will get his this year but it won't lead to a surplus of wins compared to last season.

The Raps had the best player but the Sixers had what, 4 all stars? Sixers starting 5 on paper was better than the Raptors. Jo not being in shape or healthy to play every minute didn't help. Maybe that's an unrealistic expectation, but when you read about his diet last year and how out of shape he was combined with how injury-prone he has been, you really have to wonder who wins that series if Jo is actually in shape...especially when you look at the on/off stats...

When I say underachieve, I'm of the Ricky Bobby mindset--if you're not 1st, you're last. Especially in the case of last year's Sixers team. The year before, they overachieved in the regular season and made progress in the finals. Their goal last year was to win the championship. They made a lot of big moves last season. They traded some nice pieces for Jimmy Butler to try to put them over the top and they traded for Tobi. I don't think any player on that team was happy with how their season ended last year. Ultimately, the regular season doesn't mean a ton to me as long as you get into the playoffs. The Warriors lost 9 games all season in 2016 and lost in the Finals. I'm sure they don't care about the regular season record.
Both teams had 2 all stars last year.

Yes in the in the Ricky Bobby mindset it was a disappointment, and I can guarantee none of the guys on that team/fans were happy with when they went out, but disappointment and underachieving are different. Underachieving is being the favorite and losing, while disappointment comes every season you dont win the chip. In the long run that Raptors series is great for the growth of guys like Simmons and Embiid, both guys were shown their biggest weakness and theyve been working on them. Embiid is in the best shape of his career because of that series, now hopefully Simmons can show that jump shot he claims hes been working on

Both teams had 2 all stars last year.

Yes in the in the Ricky Bobby mindset it was a disappointment, and I can guarantee none of the guys on that team/fans were happy with when they went out, but disappointment and underachieving are different. Underachieving is being the favorite and losing, while disappointment comes every season you dont win the chip. In the long run that Raptors series is great for the growth of guys like Simmons and Embiid, both guys were shown their biggest weakness and theyve been working on them. Embiid is in the best shape of his career because of that series, now hopefully Simmons can show that jump shot he claims hes been working on
I was counting Jimmy Buckets as an all-star (forgot Tobi has never made it). But agree with you on the other stuff. Last year was the first year the TTP Sixers had a realistic shot at the championship or going to the finals so it was more disappointing than the season before. If I'm the Sixers, I would load manage Embiid a bit during the regular season since regular season doesn't matter much and hopefully Al can hold the fort down on off nights. Even with him being in the best shape of his career, the guy still needs rest days and to stay healthy in the playoffs.

I was counting Jimmy Buckets as an all-star (forgot Tobi has never made it). But agree with you on the other stuff. Last year was the first year the TTP Sixers had a realistic shot at the championship or going to the finals so it was more disappointing than the season before. If I'm the Sixers, I would load manage Embiid a bit during the regular season since regular season doesn't matter much and hopefully Al can hold the fort down on off nights. Even with him being in the best shape of his career, the guy still needs rest days and to stay healthy in the playoffs.
Well if Jimmy counts then Gasol counts and both teams had 3 all stars. And then Siakam and Harris cancel each other out as borderline all stars

Embiid is already helping them with that load management with this soon to be suspension

Well if Jimmy counts then Gasol counts and both teams had 3 all stars. And then Siakam and Harris cancel each other out as borderline all stars

Embiid is already helping them with that load management with this soon to be suspension
Hahah if this is true, Embiid really is a clown...

I4uciqI.png

2 games for both Embiid and KAT, and none for Simmons, so slightly better than I'd thought

Shocked that Simmons got nothing.
The game officials called him a peacemaker, although the Wolves came out today and disagreed with it. I know I'm a homer here, but I thought he was clearly trying to break up the fight not just put KAT in a headlock to continue the fight.

The game officials called him a peacemaker, although the Wolves came out today and disagreed with it. I know I'm a homer here, but I thought he was clearly trying to break up the fight not just put KAT in a headlock to continue the fight.
I just can't think of any NBA fights in which somebody put anybody in a headlock and got away with no repercussions regardless of intent. Thought for sure he would get 1 game.

Two games are about the standard for these type of shenanigans but there's no way THIS LEAGUE was missing out on Embiid vs Gobert or Embiid vs Jokic if they could avoid it

Two games are about the standard for these type of shenanigans but there's no way THIS LEAGUE was missing out on Embiid vs Gobert or Embiid vs Jokic if they could avoid it
It’s entirely why they only did 2 haha. Had this been Mike Scott or some role player, they would have gotten 4 games to send a message.

Brandon Ingram got 4 games for actually sucker punching someone. 2 games seems about right for a tussle.
The post-game comments + IG posts etc also weighed in, so essentially the guys got 1 game for the fight and 1 game for talking shit afterwards including Jo's little cute Rocky impression and amping up the crowd before he got ejected.

The post-game comments + IG posts etc also weighed in, so essentially the guys got 1 game for the fight and 1 game for talking shit afterwards including Jo's little cute Rocky impression and amping up the crowd before he got ejected.
Frankly, I bet the NBA likes all the free engagement that comes with that stuff

Back