The NBA Thread

Yeah I don’t believe the Shelburne tweet (I mean I believe that “sources said” it, I just think it’s typical MSG disinformation). And Randle is a nice player but that’s a bad contract, and a repudiation of the (correct) approach they had previewed last week...don’t give big multi-year deals to anyone but the top free agents.

Four months ago I was arguing that the Knicks signing Boogie would be a good thing (under certain circumstances). Two months ago I thought it would be a terrible idea. This evening I found myself hoping for it (at least on a one-year deal for who gives a fuck how much). Life comes at ya fast.

Yeah I don’t believe the Shelburne tweet (I mean I believe that “sources said” it, I just think it’s typical MSG disinformation). And Randle is a nice player but that’s a bad contract, and a repudiation of the (correct) approach they had previewed last week...don’t give big multi-year deals to anyone but the top free agents.

Four months ago I was arguing that the Knicks signing Boogie would be a good thing (under certain circumstances). Two months ago I thought it would be a terrible idea. This evening I found myself hoping for it (at least on a one-year deal for who gives a fuck how much). Life comes at ya fast.
Word is the last year is a team option which makes it a lot better, but your point still stands. And now that they did this, I honestly don't think something like a 1+1 max for Boogie is the worst idea.

On the very slightest bright side. No team with the actual cap space has been rumored for Butler, so at the very least they would need to sign and trade.
...and off he goes to the Heat as expected. Sign and trade for Richardson.

As a sixers fan I don't know how to feel yet. I'm mostly just amazed they somehow managed to get bigger than last year.

WHAT A DAY. honestly it's too much and i am overwhelmed. as a pacers fan i love gettin Brogdon. As a mnpls resident I'm really hoping the rumors are true and the wolves can somehow/some way move off the wiggins contract and get DLo though like how in the fuck would that be real life I do not know. I will pray to woj

re: 76ers went from thinking they took a huge hit to believing they just might be favored over the bucks in the east now in the matter of like 20 mins. again: it's too much

As a sixers fan I don't know how to feel yet. I'm mostly just amazed they somehow managed to get bigger than last year.
I fell asleep on the couch and now I'm trying to process this all while half awake at 4am. They are going to be huge and should be one of the better defensive teams this year. J Rich is a nice piece, but that cant be the only part of that trade, right? Hopefully Kawhi leaves Toronto now and the Sixers can steal away Danny Green because they need shooters.

I’m not sure about this. At the very least, I’m not sure that the image of Durant that people have in their minds when they argue that he can defy the odds with this injury - the image of him easily rising up over whomever to pop a three - is by itself a top-10 player. People underrate his pre-injury explosiveness and ability/tendency to take dudes off the dribble.
Everybody is saying that “even KD at 90% is worth the max!” But that’s crazy talk. Nobody knows how he will come back. And yes, he can still probably shoot over some people but like you said, playing like a guard was one of his best skills and he likely will lose that. People clowning the Knicks for supposedly not wanting to offer a max to a guy coming off the worst injury a basketball player can have but it’s a somewhat prudent move...

Last edited:

This is actually a good signing with the last year being a team option. Last week people were saying Randle would get a max deal. He was a beast last year in NO. We aren’t doing shit for the next two years anyway now. May as well sign a young guy in a position of need for us who has improved every year on a 2+1 deal.

I don’t like the Bobby Portis signing for us. And Taj is whatever...he’s a good vet to have but I think we overpaid. Maybe he makes a nice trade chip though next season.

What an insane FA. Heat Butler sign and trade desperately needs to find a new partner. Mavs shit the bed...they spent so much time trying to get Kelly Olynyk in the Heat sign and trade for Butler and missed their meeting with Patrick Beverly who resigned with the Clippers. The good players are all drying up now and Mavs will be left with the dregs in a year that they had $30 mil in cap space. They are almost as bad as my Knicks at attracting FA.

Rubio to the Suns is.....interesting. DLo to the Warriors is crazy. I figured Horford would go to Philly (was hoping for the Kings though) but now Embiid doesn’t have to worry about Horford owning him on defense in the playoffs. Sixers losing Redick and Butler will hurt and they desperately need more shooting. Maybe they get some vet min guys now...

I’m guessing Nets get knocked out in the 1st round again next year. We’ll see how KD comes back from that brutal injury.

Knicks signed too many bigs now...but at least for now we have a little more balance in our roster...preparing to tank until 2021 at least now...

Everybody is saying that “even KD at 90% is worth the max!” But that’s crazy talk. Nobody knows how he will come back. And yes, he can still probably shoot over some people but like you said, playing like a guard was one of his best skills and he likely will lose that. People clowning the Knicks for supposedly not wanting to offer a max to a guy coming off the worst injury a basketball player can have but it’s a somewhat prudent move...

Sorry, you take that shot. The point is winning not “being prudent”. What other chances do the Knicks have to improve in the next two years? They’re going to continue to be irrelevant.

Sorry, you take that shot. The point is winning not “being prudent”. What other chances do the Knicks have to improve in the next two years? They’re going to continue to be irrelevant.
The big issue is this: the moment KD for injured, FA changed for the whole NBA. If KD was healthy, he would have dictated where him and Kyrie were going. Instead, Kyrie got all the leverage and he wanted to go to the Nets. I firmly believe KD was never coming here alone to come back from an Achilles tear and have to carry the load. The extremely long shot was hoping Kawhi and KD talked about wanting to team up, Kawhi would take a 1+1 with Toronto and come here next season.

It was damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I have no doubt in my mind that if the Knicks signed KD, all the media talk would be about how dangerous Achilles injuries are and that the Knicks did a classic Knicks move signing an injured player. We tried the sign an injured player thing with Amare. It failed miserably and made us a laughing stock. The Knicks just got their first top 3 pick since Ewing. We have a lot of young guys and lots of 1st rounders in the next few years. I’m fine to build slowly. There are no other good UFA until 2021.

Its malpractice to not offer KD a max contract. I dont care if he comes back as a shell of himself, hes still 1000% worth the risk. The Knicks are having a more hilarious FA than I could have hoped for.

The big issue is this: the moment KD for injured, FA changed for the whole NBA. If KD was healthy, he would have dictated where him and Kyrie were going. Instead, Kyrie got all the leverage and he wanted to go to the Nets. I firmly believe KD was never coming here alone to come back from an Achilles tear and have to carry the load. The extremely long shot was hoping Kawhi and KD talked about wanting to team up, Kawhi would take a 1+1 with Toronto and come here next season.

It was damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I have no doubt in my mind that if the Knicks signed KD, all the media talk would be about how dangerous Achilles injuries are and that the Knicks did a classic Knicks move signing an injured player. We tried the sign an injured player thing with Amare. It failed miserably and made us a laughing stock. The Knicks just got their first top 3 pick since Ewing. We have a lot of young guys and lots of 1st rounders in the next few years. I’m fine to build slowly. There are no other good UFA until 2021.

The problem with that build slowly approach is the Knicks just got slightly better in the short term without realistically being a playoff team. Trying to be like the 4th or 5th worst team in the East instead of the worst team in the East is low-key terrible.

Its malpractice to not offer KD a max contract. I dont care if he comes back as a shell of himself, hes still 1000% worth the risk. The Knicks are having a more hilarious FA than I could have hoped for.
Giving achilles-torn KD a max contract with no other max FA coming here is a terrible move too though. It will be at least 2 years before he comes back as a shell of himself and you tie up 35% of the cap with him. It has potential to be Amar'e 2.0. It's so bizarre to me that reports came out the other day that the Knicks wanted to see KD's medical records and people said lolknicks about it. Any team signing KD to a 4 year max should look at his medical records after he suffered the worst injury a basketball player can have. If the Nets or anybody else had asked to see his records, it would have been smart and due dilligence. Instead, it's just an lolknicks circle jerk at this point. The team deserves some of it after the past 20 years but I do think we have turned a corner and not done a lot of the mistakes we have done in the past (not giving up picks to trade for guys entering FA, not signing injured or old guys to long-term max deals, etc.).

There were only 4 FA worth maxing this summer. Kawhi, KD (pre-injury), Kyrie and Klay. Kawhi coming here was the longest of long shots. I, along with most Knicks fans, didn't want Kyrie alone after his disastrous season with a young team. Klay was never leaving. If KD came and he wanted someone like Kemba, then you go for both. As soon as Kyrie zeroed in on Brooklyn, it was over for the Knicks. The last thing you want is KD coming back from achilles injury with no other max player to lessen his load on offense and defense.

Dominique Wilkins is the only NBA player to come back and be himself (actually was slightly better) after an achilles tear. People saying that KD is going to come back 90% of what he was don't know what they are talking about. Everyone has declined pretty substantially after an achilles tear. I would have gone after KD if one of those other 4 players I mentioned wanted to come here. Otherwise, it's a huge gamble that we have seen before with the Knicks. Had the Knicks only signed KD, the entire narrative would have been "haven't the Knicks learned from signing injured superstars to max contracts??" It was always going to be a lose-lose situation for the Knicks.

Our offseason is whatever. There are way worse contracts going around than what we have signed so far. Randle's is a good contract. Nothing we signed is over 2 years yet we still get all their bird rights. They are also all likely very tradeable contracts if we decide to go that route. For once we have flexibility and didn't offer Terry Rozier $60 million on a 3 year fully guaranteed deal. Jamal Murray getting 170 mil/5 years is bonkers. Rubio even at 3/51 is bad. We accomplished what I was hoping for this summer: if we struck out on big names, I didn't want us to max any mid tier guys on a long-term deal. We are finally rebuilding. Whether or not it works out, we'll find out in a few years. I'm just glad that we aren't deciding to try to cut corners this time.

Back