The NBA Thread

As a Knicks fan having to deal with cocky Nets fans lately, my ideal scenario would be for Kyrie and KD to go elsewhere (not even necessarily the Knicks) and for Brooklyn to lose DLo because they didn't prioritize him at all. Then have to overspend on mid tier free agents because they have gone through all of the motions to think that they have two max players lined up and ready to sign. A boy can dream though...I know there's a decent shot at KD and Kyrie both going there although I don't see the reasoning behind KD wanting to go to Brooklyn.

New Woj Bomb saying Kemba might end up in Boston
I'd be on board with that as much as I hate Boston. I want to see Kemba on a good team instead of wasting away in Charlotte. And for Boston, you get similar production with a guy who isn't a headcase.

I'd be on board with that as much as I hate Boston. I want to see Kemba on a good team instead of wasting away in Charlotte. And for Boston, you get similar production with a guy who isn't a headcase.
That's about the last place I want Kemba to end up, but that's probably because there are few franchises in sports that I hate more than the Celtics.

Yeah D'Lo to the Lakers might be way off base, but my thinking is that Magic is gone now, he's definitely matured since he left LA, and just in general... it's LA and the Lakers. They're going to push hard for one more big name and I don't think they're getting anyone else on that list. Maybe outside shot for the Suns or Timberwolves if they can manage their cap space, since he's apparently such good friends with Booker and KAT. Heard rumors of the Pacers too but that seems like a weird fit to me.

I just saw an article saying the Knicks might max out DeMarcus Cousins and that feels like the most Knicks possible move.

That's about the last place I want Kemba to end up, but that's probably because there are few franchises in sports that I hate more than the Celtics.
Yea--I hate the Celtics too and am conflicted because I like Kemba a lot. I just want him to get out of Charlotte and go somewhere that he can compete. There are a number of other teams I'd rather see him on (I'd kinda love a combo of KD and Kemba in NY) but I think it's time he breaks up with Charlotte.

I just saw an article saying the Knicks might max out DeMarcus Cousins and that feels like the most Knicks possible move.
Nah...the actual news there is that if we strike out on KD/Kyrie/Kawhi, we're looking to give guys a one year big contract. We have the cap space and need to use it either way so I'm indifferent about signing Boogie if that is the case. We have two max slots...I'd use one to sign a big one year deal for somebody like Randle and then use the rest to absorb a bad expiring from another team and a promising young player or picks.

If the Hornets weren't going to pay Kemba significantly more than other teams what the fuck were they doing by not trading him the last two years?
He somewhat unexpectedly won an all-nba spot so I believe his supermax jumped up quite a bit. It's also possible that the offers weren't that great for Kemba. Also, their FO sucks haha. I will say, sometimes it's better to let a guy like Kemba walk away. Love him as a person and player but the Hornets supermaxing him right now would be a move the make with their heart and not their brain. Kemba would prevent them from tanking and rebuilding but also not let them win enough games to make the playoffs. There is something to be said about being competitive but not a contender in a smaller market...but Kemba doesn't do either with the rest of that roster.

edit: I'll also say, they better put his number up in the rafters. He deserves at least that much.

Last edited:
He somewhat unexpectedly won an all-nba spot so I believe his supermax jumped up quite a bit. It's also possible that the offers weren't that great for Kemba. Also, their FO sucks haha. I will say, sometimes it's better to let a guy like Kemba walk away. Love him as a person and player but the Hornets supermaxing him right now would be a move the make with their heart and not their brain. Kemba would prevent them from tanking and rebuilding but also not let them win enough games to make the playoffs. There is something to be said about being competitive but not a contender in a smaller market...but Kemba doesn't do either with the rest of that roster.
Supermax should be an extra advantage for them in this case. "Sizeable gap" sounds to me like they aren't offering much more than the non-bird max he can get elsewhere. I don't think he's untradeable at or near supermax to a desperate team, and for a small market team I think it'd be advantageous to announce that you'll be compensated if you perform.

I'm all for tanking but getting to the point where him being able to walk shouldn't be an option. You're either prepared to pay him or you're not. And if you're not, you should have traded him when you had the chance to get some picks back or offload one of your many terrible contracts (Batum/Biyombo/Zeller/MKG!!!!!) for expirings.

Supermax should be an extra advantage for them in this case. "Sizeable gap" sounds to me like they aren't offering much more than the non-bird max he can get elsewhere. I don't think he's untradeable at or near supermax to a desperate team, and for a small market team I think it'd be advantageous to announce that you'll be compensated if you perform.

I'm all for tanking but getting to the point where him being able to walk shouldn't be an option. You're either prepared to pay him or you're not. And if you're not, you should have traded him when you had the chance to get some picks back or offload one of your many terrible contracts (Batum/Biyombo/Zeller/MKG!!!!!) for expirings.
It should be an advantage but they have managed their team so poorly in an attempt to win now that maxing Kemba will kick the can down the road for 5 years. And with Kemba becoming a FA after this season, it's not entirely smart for another small market team to trade for him unless he agrees to re-sign and those teams aren't going to take on Batum's monster contract for a FA who might bolt soon. So it's a bit complicated. Sometimes the best move might just be to let Kemba walk for the Hornets. They should have surveyed the landscape to see if any trades were feasible at all but from all the rumors going around, the offers were not great. The Hornets then tried to trade for Gasol from Memphis last season I think instead of trying to go for the rebuild. Their FO is a mess and Jordan is an awful owner.

Oof...crazy day. Lakers gained another max cap slot but now only have 4 players. Boston becoming the front runner for Kemba. Philly potentially offering less than max to Tobias. Houston going hard after Jimmy Butler with Boston supposedly saying they want to be a 3rd team in a sign and trade so they can land Capela...Knicks either getting KD or getting nothing (seems to change every 5 minutes according to the media). Sunday can't come soon enough.

In what I think has already been an excellent offseason for the TWolves, there are currently rumors about them possibly trading Wiggins without having to give up anything of value.

Kemba to Boston and Kyrie to Nets seems just about confirmed. Kawhi still a mystery, maybe a team-up with Durant or maybe Raptors and Lakers even seem to have a chance to get him. Russell will also be released and become a free agent so he probably ends up with Wolves while Rose goes to Pistons.

In what I think has already been an excellent offseason for the TWolves, there are currently rumors about them possibly trading Wiggins without having to give up anything of value.
I really liked the TWolves hire of Rosas. If he can trade Wiggie without giving up anything, he's a genius haha. Wiggins' supposed contract signing is one of my favorite stories...where Glenn Taylor sat Wiggins down at contract extension talks and said "if you promise to try hard, we'll give you a max". Wiggins said YUP and walked out with a max deal haha.

I like the Wolves though. Hoping they can build around KAT.

Kemba to Boston and Kyrie to Nets seems just about confirmed. Kawhi still a mystery, maybe a team-up with Durant or maybe Raptors and Lakers even seem to have a chance to get him. Russell will also be released and become a free agent so he probably ends up with Wolves while Rose goes to Pistons.
My prediction: Kawhi signs a 1+1 with Toronto. KD comes to NY. Knicks also sign someone like Randle or Boogie just for a 1 year deal. Kyrie to Brooklyn (or Lakers darkhorse candidate). Nets also then have to max Tobias or someone worth less than a max because they cleared cap space and don't have a 2nd max star to pair with Kyrie. DLo leaves Brooklyn maybe to the Suns (TWolves would be rad too). Next season Kawhi and KD team up in NY. Lakers also spend on a max FA who isn't quite worth the max even though they should split their additional max slot into 3 solid role players like Danny Green, Patrick Beverly and one other guy like that.

Back