The NBA Thread

Where there any good teams in the NBA this season? This might be the weirdest regular season > post season in my lifetime. The bubble season wasn’t even this strange. Heat Vs Nugs Finals is gonna be super low rated but I am here for it.

Man, if The Heat somehow manage to win it all the regular season moving forward is gonna be super jacked up. You think “load management” is bullshit now? Just wait til teams realize that the home court advantage barely matters anymore. Teams are gonna value healthy well rested stars over playoff home court.

Where there any good teams in the NBA this season? This might be the weirdest regular season > post season in my lifetime. The bubble season wasn’t even this strange. Heat Vs Nugs Finals is gonna be super low rated but I am here for it.

Man, if The Heat somehow manage to win it all the regular season moving forward is gonna be super jacked up. You think “load management” is bullshit now? Just wait til teams realize that the home court advantage barely matters anymore. Teams are gonna value healthy well rested stars over playoff home court.

I absolutely love it. And I think it could have the opposite effect in some ways. The Nugs and Heat are both gonna win and I don't recall a lot of load management from either of those teams unless injury/recovery was involved. The Heat had to scratch and claw to even get into the play-in, so they were resting no one. For me, the chaos and possible impossibilities are what make the NCAA Basketball Tournament the greatest sporting event on the planet. I'm cool with more of that in the NBA. As far as ratings, the NBA has their contracts and their cash so not much will change. Values of franchises, even those in the cellar, continue to rise. As long as some of your major markets stay competitive, not necessarily champions but competitive, they'll be fine.

But the ratings!!!!

I absolutely love it. And I think it could have the opposite effect in some ways. The Nugs and Heat are both gonna win and I don't recall a lot of load management from either of those teams unless injury/recovery was involved. The Heat had to scratch and claw to even get into the play-in, so they were resting no one. For me, the chaos and possible impossibilities are what make the NCAA Basketball Tournament the greatest sporting event on the planet. I'm cool with more of that in the NBA. As far as ratings, the NBA has their contracts and their cash so not much will change. Values of franchises, even those in the cellar, continue to rise. As long as some of your major markets stay competitive, not necessarily champions but competitive, they'll be fine.
It’s not necessarily that the Heat were more or less egregious with load management than any other team. It’s the fact that home court advantage seemingly didn’t exist, and the whole reason for a team’s stars to grind through an 82 game season is for the potential home court advantage. If a play-in team can win it all, then what’s the point? Might as well save Giannis for the playoffs. Win 45 games and rest him the rest of the time.

It’s not necessarily that the Heat were more or less egregious with load management than any other team. It’s the fact that home court advantage seemingly didn’t exist, and the whole reason for a team’s stars to grind through an 82 game season is for the potential home court advantage. If a play-in team can win it all, then what’s the point? Might as well save Giannis for the playoffs. Win 45 games and rest him the rest of the time.
And that's kinda my point. Teams that practiced more load management during this season are at home watching the playoffs. I in no way think the Heat (an 8) and Lakers (a 7) are the rule for making the conference finals, but I do think they're an example of how important the right chemistry and team buy in goes toward winning. I feel a common thread in the last teams standing (maybe not The Celts based on this series) are chemistry and just how bad the players want it.

And that's kinda my point. Teams that practiced more load management during this season are at home watching the playoffs. I in no way think the Heat (an 8) and Lakers (a 7) are the rule for making the conference finals, but I do think they're an example of how important the right chemistry and team buy in goes toward winning. I feel a common thread in the last teams standing (maybe not The Celts based on this series) are chemistry and just how bad the players want it.
Chemistry is why the Knicks beat the Cavs. The Cavs often looked like they had never played basketball together. And the Heat beat us because of their chemistry and scrappiness. Jimmy is the perfect guy to lead that team.

Chemistry is severely underrated in basketball for some reason. The teams with the best talent are often assumed to be the favorites in most series.

But the ratings!!!!
Oh they will be abysmal. And I know it doesn’t matter to us, but it’ll affect the NBA when they negotiate their TV rights deal, which will trickle down to contracts and players and how teams will be built.

It’s so weird to me that Jokic isn’t a superstar. His game is so fun to watch. He’s a very likeable, funny person. Same with Jimmy. I’m a huge fan of Jimmy. I used to work with him when he was on the Bulls. Super nice guy and he deserves every bit of success he’s had.

Congratulations, @DownIsTheNewUp. As good as tonight's result is for the NBA, I'm going to be stress-watching the NBA Finals for the first time in many years.

I really can't get a break...

I'm so happy man. Just landed in Denver and was supposed to go to game 5. When I got off the plane, my brother called (season ticket holder) informed me he had gotten G1 finals tix for me, him and my pops.

My dad is 76 and on his last legs and has waited his whole life for this. If we win, I had $15 bucks down at 20:1 for the Nuggets to win it all and so the ticket is paid for. And if we lose, we still swept the Lakers, I get the memories with my dad and Jimmy and a team that plays a style of ball I like gets a ring.

I'm guessing he's cheering against the Nuggets because they're in the same division as the Blazers.

According the reddit Blazers fans and Jazz fans both consider the Nuggets their biggest rivals. So probably.

But there is also a lot of small market love between the fan bases, so maybe not. I know I alway root for Dame when it isn't against us and a couple Blazer fans have swung by Denver Stiffs to say congrats.

Last edited:
According the reddit Blazers fans and Jazz fans both consider the Nuggets their biggest rivals. So probably.

But there is also a lot of small market love between the fan bases, so maybe not. I know I alway root for Dame when it isn't against us and a couple Blazer fans have swung by Denver Stiffs to say congrats.
Yeah as a Wolves fan, I am totally rooting for small market Nugs. And I also choose to believe that whoever came out of the Nuggets-Wolves rd 1 series was destined to get to the finals.

Yeah as a Wolves fan, I am totally rooting for small market Nugs. And I also choose to believe that whoever came out of the Nuggets-Wolves rd 1 series was destined to get to the finals.

Canishoopus is my 2nd favorite basketball community on the internet and I also root for the Wolves. Really the only team I straught up root against from our division is Utah.

Meanwhile, I don't like rooting for OKC cause that team is stolen and the fanbase is hyper Republican... but I LOVE their young core so I'm on that bandwagon for now.

Back