The NBA Thread

I get the LA hype. They’ve had Kobe and Shaq and now Lebron in recent years, but the Celtics shit gets a bit unbearable. 1 ring in the last 35 years, two-thirds of their championships coming before 1970, etc. They have a very exciting team this year (who I can’t stand but who are very very good), but god that team lives in the past like no one else

I get the LA hype. They’ve had Kobe and Shaq and now Lebron in recent years, but the Celtics shit gets a bit unbearable. 1 ring in the last 35 years, two-thirds of their championships coming before 1970, etc. They have a very exciting team this year (who I can’t stand but who are very very good), but god that team lives in the past like no one else

That side of it is because Bill Simmons has the best eye for talent in the industry and hired like half of the best people covering the sport while they were local to Boston.

It’s absurd. The obsessive Knicks/BK/Celtics/Lakers obsession is suffocating. But it’s not really news there, it’s entertainment in a league where the youngest viewers are obsessed with seeing highlight reels of stars instead of fundamentals and teamwork.
Cmon man. The only things the media loves to do with the Knicks is to shit on them. Nobody in the media actually watches the Knicks. Brunson was snubbed for all star and all-NBA teams. Hardly anybody had us beating the Cavs. The nets got no coverage at all outside of Kyrie’s antics. It’s why KD and Kyrie went there.

Lakers are the most popular team worldwide and have the best player of his generation so it makes sense why the NBA wants to cover him. For ESPN, it’s all about media markets. Teams with the most viewers get the most coverage. And ESPN’s coverage blows.

Jason Tatum is sooooo fucking overrated. Even b4 this series started I was more scared of Butler & Spo than Tatum / Brown.
Is he overrated? I mean, the guy scored the most points ever in a game 7 in the playoffs. He was a +5 last night and largely not the Celtics' problem. He's made big strides as a playmaker too. I'd say he is probably a top 10 player right now.

Definitely agree with the second half of your statement though. Playoff Jimmy is not to be fucked with. And Spo is somehow severely underrated every year. The Heat are not really your typical 8 seed. And a lot of pundits didn't seem to watch them and are just basing things on them being 8. They knocked out the best (or 2nd best) team in basketball and it wasn't even a close series. Have no clue what Grant Williams was thinking last night.

It’s absurd. The obsessive Knicks/BK/Celtics/Lakers obsession is suffocating. But it’s not really news there, it’s entertainment in a league where the youngest viewers are obsessed with seeing highlight reels of stars instead of fundamentals and teamwork.
Every major sport is like this, a few teams dominate the media narrative. I do find the NBA coverage slightly more bearable than other sports as it’s more individual superstar focused. Baseball media’s obsession with the Yankees is the thing that bugs me the most.

Every major sport is like this, a few teams dominate the media narrative. I do find the NBA coverage slightly more bearable than other sports as it’s more individual superstar focused. Baseball media’s obsession with the Yankees is the thing that bugs me the most.
Agree but then you look at World Series wins (27) and AL Pennants (40) over the past 115+ years and it all makes a bit more sense. The next closest team is The Cardinals with 11 titles. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy but I respect what they’ve done as a franchise, same with the Celtics and Lakers.

The team that bugs me the most is “Ameica’s Team” The Cowboys. They’ve only won 5 titles (tied with 5 other teams for 6th most) and their last title and last Super Bowl appearance was almost 30 years ago in 1995. Also, the most insufferable fan base by a mile.

Agree but then you look at World Series wins (27) and AL Pennants (40) over the past 115+ years and it all makes a bit more sense. The next closest team is The Cardinals with 11 titles. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy but I respect what they’ve done as a franchise, same with the Celtics and Lakers.

The team that bugs me the most is “Ameica’s Team” The Cowboys. They’ve only won 5 titles (tied with 5 other teams for 6th most) and their last title and last Super Bowl appearance was almost 30 years ago in 1995. Also, the most insufferable fan base by a mile.
Went to law school in Texas, can concur on cowboy fans. The Lakers v Celtics thing is pretty funny too. While he’s a tool, I listen to Simmons a decent amount (especially after the Celts lose) and he took exception to the Lakers being tied with the Celtics for championships since 5 were in Minnesota. While I guess I can get that argument, the lakers have been such a better franchise for the last 40 years that, to me, I rank them significantly ahead of the Celtics, who again have 1 ring since 1986.

Celtics are in my top 5 most hated sports franchises. Lakers I'm a fairweather hater. Not a LeBron fan, so I don't like them now, but didn't mind the Kobe/Shaq era. When I started watching NBA in the 90's, they were pretty irrelevant so I didn't have much of an opinion then.

Cmon man. The only things the media loves to do with the Knicks is to shit on them. Nobody in the media actually watches the Knicks. Brunson was snubbed for all star and all-NBA teams. Hardly anybody had us beating the Cavs. The nets got no coverage at all outside of Kyrie’s antics. It’s why KD and Kyrie went there.

Lakers are the most popular team worldwide and have the best player of his generation so it makes sense why the NBA wants to cover him. For ESPN, it’s all about media markets. Teams with the most viewers get the most coverage. And ESPN’s coverage blows.
Agreed - and it’s been Warriors coverage on blast since 2015, anyway. I avoid most of it by just not looking at or watching espn - the only espn coverage I pay attention to is Zach Lowe’s pod.

It’s not just Jimmy. Many of these undrafted bench players have been through three deep playoff runs including a finals run in the bubble. They’re growing night in and night out. Gabe, Caleb, Duncan… it’s absurd.

And Kevin Love brought a team that was careening to collapse together. I love him. I love this team.
I can’t put into words have happy I’ve been these last few weeks (plus LFG Panthers). But beating Boston will always be the best

Back