The NBA Thread

Really great read.

The Ringer is killing it. Pumping out Finals content that feels like prime Grantland.

The Ringer is killing it. Pumping out Finals content that feels like prime Grantland.

I loved prime Grantland

Every time I saw Adebayo/Zeller get a bucket dropped on their head by Jokić in G1 tonight...

slaysol-gif-douyin-girl-crying-at-phone.gif

Every time I saw Adebayo/Zeller get a bucket dropped on their head by Jokić in G1 tonight...

slaysol-gif-douyin-girl-crying-at-phone.gif

Imagine being Nate Duncan right now. Dude has said things like "you're capped as a 2nd round out with Jokic as your best player", has repeatedly argued that Malone is a bottom 10 coach and had Jokic as the 9th best player in the NBA AFTER his 1st MVP "because I value championships not regular season success".

Jokic dominated without even looking to score until the 4th gave me flashbacks to the Clippers series.

He's been the best offensive player in the NBA for 3 years. He's now staking his claim as a top 25 player of all-time, the best player in the NBA and the best big since Shaq with this run.

Oh, and Mal proving the bubble was far from a fluke.

Speaking of which... apply your GIF to me thinking about what might have been if Mal had never torn his ACL....

Last edited:
So where all the Sixers fans in this thread at? Ya'll caused me to dip out of this thread for over a year because ya'll we're so insistent that Jokic didn't deserve MVP (twice). One such comment got like 10 likes.

And now this thread is silence as the guy is breaking Wilt records and putting up 30-20-10 in finals games.

So where all the Sixers fans in this thread at? Ya'll caused me to dip out of this thread for over a year because ya'll we're so insistent that Jokic didn't deserve MVP (twice). One such comment got like 10 likes.

And now this thread is silence as the guy is breaking Wilt records and putting up 30-20-10 in finals games.
He should've been a 3-timer. But the thing is - The Joker really doesn't care. He wants to win championships. That's all he talked about this season while Embiid was consistently lobbying for MVP.

Tonight after the game when he was asked what it meant to be the first 30-20-10 guy in finals history - "Not much, really."

He should've been a 3-timer. But the thing is - The Joker really doesn't care. He wants to win championships. That's all he talked about this season while Embiid was consistently lobbying for MVP.

Tonight after the game when he was asked what it meant to be the first 30-20-10 guy in finals history - "Not much, really."

Oh, I was actively rooting against him winning x3-- both because he clearly didn't care and because the toxic convo around it was impacting the team. I was also happy when Embid won. Cause he was great and wanted it bad.

But the skepticism and disrespect of Jokic in this thread was very, very real-- and for a long time.

I dipped out this thread for roughly a year after getting into it with Woob (to the point where we don't talk anymore bc we were both kinda of dicks about it) when he won the 1st MVP.... and came back just in time to see a bunch of posts that were deeply annoyed that Jokic won the second MVP. It was literally @bettim84 and one other person (calling him deserving) versus the room.

Last edited:
Oh, I was actively rooting against him winning x3-- both because he clearly didn't care and because the toxic convo around it was impacting the team. I was also happy when Embid won. Cause he was great and wanted it bad.

But the skepticism and disrespect of Jokic in this thread was very, very real-- and for a long time.

I dipped out this thread for roughly a year after getting into it with Woob (to the point where we don't talk anymore bc we were both kinda of dicks about it) when he won the 1st MVP.... and came back just in time to see a bunch of posts that were deeply annoyed that Jokic won the second MVP. It was literally @bettim84 and one other person (calling him deserving) versus the room.
You and Woob need to kiss and make up. It's just basketball and opinions. Much like everything else in the world.

@DownIsTheNewUp - Jokic is a basketball wizard and as a fan I love watching that, but what has really hit me with him is how he ties his wedding ring into his sneakers for games and his hand gesture thing for his daughter that has to do with a bedtime story or song that she loves. Perfect marriage for me as a stay-at-home dad/family man + nba fanatic.

Basically
I.....feel.....nothing.....

View attachment 175052

All the important check marks hit..

I root for Jimmy in most circumstances. But I don't know how anyone who hasn't watched this run can say the Nuggets aren't a likeable bunch who don't have their own version of selfless, Heat culture.

As a Jokic fan, I am happy for Jokic with a legacy partially cemented. But I'm happiest for Jamal. And our fans.

It's awesome that we held the Heat to under 100 in almost every game. All the Butler diehards at my favorite Chicago bar talked a lot of shit and then bought me a lot of booze... and then next thing I knew it was 2am.

It's okay, my boss is based out of Denver and is expecting me to be messy tomorrow.

Back