The National

Smoke Detector is so damn good live. I would love for them to play it tonight on Letterman. Wondering which song they'll perform. Surely something off Laugh Track like Deep End. I'd love for them to just ask Dave what he wants them to play and have at it.

I'm not as big on Laugh Track, especially the title song, but I really enjoyed Matt performing it at the 2 shows. I think it's a better song when he does it solo. It's not a knock on Phoebe but I feel she's a bit tacked on just to have another collaboration. The shows were great for me since they were really Trouble Will Find Me heavy. I was a tad bummed they didn't open with Once Upon a Poolside.

Smoke Detector is so damn good live. I would love for them to play it tonight on Letterman. Wondering which song they'll perform. Surely something off Laugh Track like Deep End. I'd love for them to just ask Dave what he wants them to play and have at it.

I'm not as big on Laugh Track, especially the title song, but I really enjoyed Matt performing it at the 2 shows. I think it's a better song when he does it solo. It's not a knock on Phoebe but I feel she's a bit tacked on just to have another collaboration. The shows were great for me since they were really Trouble Will Find Me heavy. I was a tad bummed they didn't open with Once Upon a Poolside.
I would assume they'll Deep End cause it's more upbeat? But it could be anything from Laugh Track

I got so lucky. I was in the last row of the balcony, on the aisle. I had a clear view of Stephen's desk and Dave sitting in the chair so I was more than happy up there. When they started setting up for the National's performance, I started getting worried, it seemed like the mics were too close to the audience and I might not be able to see Bryce, Matt & Aaron well as they had said we had to remain seated during the performance.

Suddenly, an usher came up to me and asked if I wanted to go down to the orch to be a seat filler! (My guess is that some VIPs decided to bail after Letterman finished) I of course took them up on it and ended up sitting in the 7th row, aisle, right between Matt & Aaron. We did need to remain seated, but I had a great view.

It was totally worth queuing in the cold for 4+ hours!

I got so lucky. I was in the last row of the balcony, on the aisle. I had a clear view of Stephen's desk and Dave sitting in the chair so I was more than happy up there. When they started setting up for the National's performance, I started getting worried, it seemed like the mics were too close to the audience and I might not be able to see Bryce, Matt & Aaron well as they had said we had to remain seated during the performance.

Suddenly, an usher came up to me and asked if I wanted to go down to the orch to be a seat filler! (My guess is that some VIPs decided to bail after Letterman finished) I of course took them up on it and ended up sitting in the 7th row, aisle, right between Matt & Aaron. We did need to remain seated, but I had a great view.

It was totally worth queuing in the cold for 4+ hours!
Wait I was poking fun at @mdmost earlier but apparently I've been totally out of the loop, what is Letterman actually doing back on the Late Show?

Last edited:
If they had Taylor sign these they could probably net like $10k for one, honestly

I wish this was longer cause I enjoyed it so much.

Definitely not long enough...this felt like a snippet of a fireside chat between two old friends getting reacquainted after months or years of not seeing each other. The fact that they were so open and honest in talking about their own personal struggles such as depression and anxiety (which I have struggled with myself for many years) and Matt explaining the meaning behind the lyrics and songs made me appreciate this interview even more 🙏❤️

Back