The National

So, I didn't get any of the songs I was hoping for, but I knew they were long shots anyway. But hey Baby We'll Be Fine? Amazing. Also really loved seeing Conversation 16 again. And Smoke Detector was so good. I couldn't understand most of what Matt was saying during it, but the guitar interplay was incredible and so loud. I hope it stays that way on the record. So two songs I thought I would get for sure were Ice Machines (love the live version) and Weird Goodbyes (have come to really enjoy this song) - but neither one of those happened. About Today was a great ending though. So when I saw them last year at Moon River, they were really good and loud and loose, but I think seeing them on this tour they've gotten even better. Matt especially seemed much more comfortable - and interacted a lot more. Like seeing About Today live last year, right near my home was such a great experience, but this version of it was miles better cause he seemed much more into it.

All that said, I got maybe 4.5 hours of sleep. And as much as I'd like to see them again tonight in Atlanta, I don't think my body could handle it. I am exhausted.

So, I didn't get any of the songs I was hoping for, but I knew they were long shots anyway. But hey Baby We'll Be Fine? Amazing. Also really loved seeing Conversation 16 again. And Smoke Detector was so good. I couldn't understand most of what Matt was saying during it, but the guitar interplay was incredible and so loud. I hope it stays that way on the record. So two songs I thought I would get for sure were Ice Machines (love the live version) and Weird Goodbyes (have come to really enjoy this song) - but neither one of those happened. About Today was a great ending though. So when I saw them last year at Moon River, they were really good and loud and loose, but I think seeing them on this tour they've gotten even better. Matt especially seemed much more comfortable - and interacted a lot more. Like seeing About Today live last year, right near my home was such a great experience, but this version of it was miles better cause he seemed much more into it.

All that said, I got maybe 4.5 hours of sleep. And as much as I'd like to see them again tonight in Atlanta, I don't think my body could handle it. I am exhausted.
So happy for you about Baby We'll Be Fine! And you also got Sea of Love!!!

I agree 100% - they are much better on this tour than they were last year. Matt seems to be in a far better frame of mind, and they all seem to really be enjoying themselves on stage.

Of course the National Nashville poster sucks.

Well at least the color is better on the CT Exclusive.

One listen of each…

Alphabet City reminds me of the darker tone in the High Violet b-sides. It’s a little more dry and sprawling than the usual National album cut. I’m curious how the overall album (if there is one and this is on it) will feel.

Space Invaders sounds good. The transitions between verses and choruses has always felt abrupt to me when I’ve listened to the live version and saw it in concert but I dig it enough. The sound and production feels more classic National to me than Frankenstein.

I just came here to say the new singles are legit. Just used a VPN for NZ to access them on Youtube. So if that's true, I'm assuming the album leak info is true too. Maybe we'll know tomorrow.

So, Alphabet City is nice. It's a mellow, darker sounding single, but it sounds better than the mellower songs on FTPOF to me. There are more dynamics in the instrumentation here. It does kinda just end. But I'm sure it'll grow on me. It almost reminds me of something like Think You Can Wait, but with a SWB style mixed in.

Space Invader is incredible. I just love it that a nearly 7 minute song from The National exists. Sleep Well Beast the song is also a long one, but it's a slower sprawl. This one just builds and builds and sounds so good. Already these two singles hit me pretty hard, more so than my initial impressions of the early singles for FTPOF (an album I really like). This one like really lets everyone shine, but I love the drums so much.

Last edited:
I’ve been checking out Atlanta’s set list tonight and am already feeling jealous. Demons, Abel, Hard To Find…

I just came here to say the new singles are legit. Just used a VPN for NZ to access them on Youtube. So if that's true, I'm assuming the album leak info is true too. Maybe we'll know tomorrow.

So, Alphabet City is nice. It's a mellow, darker sounding single, but it sounds better than the mellower songs on FTPOF to me. There are more dynamics in the instrumentation here. It does kinda just end. But I'm sure it'll grow on me. It almost reminds me of something like Think You Can Wait, but with a SWB style mixed in.

Space Invader is incredible. I just love it that a nearly 7 minute song from The National exists. Sleep Well Beast the song is also a long one, but it's a slower sprawl. This one just builds and builds and sounds so good. Already these two singles hit me pretty hard, more so than my initial impressions of the early singles for FTPOF (an album I really like). This one like really lets everyone shine, but I love the drums so much.

What album leak? Is there already a tracklist out?

These two songs are really good. I was a bit disappointed with their last album. Not that it is a bad album but it just mostly doesn't work to me.

What album leak? Is there already a tracklist out?

These two songs are really good. I was a bit disappointed with their last album. Not that it is a bad album but it just mostly doesn't work to me.
The person who leaked the news about these singles being released today also said there was going to be an album and shared the track listing. I believe you can find a thread on the National’s subreddit where the links to those forum posts were shared.

Back