The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

I think I agree with excluding greatest hits (except, as mentioned in another discussion, for artists from the time before albums were really a thing, like Robert Johnson), but I don't agree with excluding live albums and I'm on the fence about the other two. The O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack is 100% its own thing and should be eligible, and excluding live albums would eliminate, for example, Neil Young's Time Fades Away, which features almost exclusively unreleased material, and the recent N&G AOTM, 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band)'s Jimmy Bell's Still in Town.

For me it’s the same thing. I think it’s a nonsense exercise if you try to take yourself out of your own taste and pick them any other way. The aggregate of tonnes of peoples favourites is what makes them the greatest.
I mean Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles record but Abbey Road is clearly the better album (and their best).

I think I agree with excluding greatest hits (except, as mentioned in another discussion, for artists from the time before albums were really a thing, like Robert Johnson), but I don't agree with excluding live albums and I'm on the fence about the other two. The O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack is 100% its own thing and should be eligible, and excluding live albums would eliminate, for example, Neil Young's Time Fades Away, which features almost exclusively unreleased material, and the recent N&G AOTM, 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band)'s Jimmy Bell's Still in Town.
Yes I'm fine with greatest hits in situations like that and I'd be willing to listen to an argument for fully original soundtracks, but live albums and comps are just collections of songs from other albums imo

Kind of related to favorite vs best....
My sister and I were texting about making personal lists of the 100 greatest songs, which turned into making the list our 100 most meaningful songs instead.
For example; Last Chance by Shooting Star made my list of most meaningful songs because those drum fills at the end gave me goose bumps as a fifth grader and steered me towards becoming a drummer. But that song wouldn't be on my 100 greatest songs ever written/recorded.

And to piggyback on @Lee Newman's Beatles post with a similar thought: Is Houses of the Holy a better album than Physical Graffiti? Maybe; it's clean, tight, and nearly perfect, and yet I still like PG a bit more.

Rolling Stone did it, but im sure we can do it better.

I'm not totally sure what scoring or rules should be, so I'll be taking suggestions on that/feel out if there is enough intrest.

Two familiar options are the AOTY method (1=10 points, 2=9, etc....) except probably with a bigger list per person then just 10. Or the Year End Megalist option where everyone has a set number of points the can give out to however many albums fit. I'd also gladly listen to any new third option.

Hope people are into this, any questions please ask away, I can't wait to see all the lists.

such a glutton for punishment and excel.

This sounds awesome!

My idea :

Each member has 500 points

Each member has to list their individual top 100 albums and assign points to that album, a maximum of 10 points per album can be chosen, a minimum of 1 point.

Entries are submitted to a list manager and not openly available so as to not be swayed by popular opinion.

A deadline for entry is established

Cumulative points between all members are added up for a master list of the top 500 N&G albums.

Ties are broken with an anonymous voting poll

I concur

This sounds awesome!

My idea :

Each member has 500 points

Each member has to list their individual top 100 albums and assign points to that album, a maximum of 10 points per album can be chosen, a minimum of 1 point.

Entries are submitted to a list manager and not openly available so as to not be swayed by popular opinion.

A deadline for entry is established

Cumulative points between all members are added up for a master list of the top 500 N&G albums.

Ties are broken with an anonymous voting poll
I like public lists. I like the conversation. Really you put Black Messiah on there and not Voodoo? What kind of crack are you smoking?

Interesting, obviously I disagree. Cultural impact is different from personal impact. E.g. just because something like TPAB is insignificant to me it doesn’t mean it’s not a great album. I think where we do agree is that this N&G list should be a list of “favorites.”

Part of the reason I’d rather go to 100 is because I’ve had a hard time incorporating jazz albums (most of which I’ve only been listening to for +/- 5 years) to my rock/pop rankings. It’ll be hard for me to justify bumping something like REM’s Life’s Rich Pageant (an album that would probably be at the back end of my top 50 but also something I’ve spent time with for 20+ years) to make room for a jazz album that has received many more spins over the past half decade but I don’t have as much of an emotional connection with. First-world problems, I know.
Completely agree. I would also try to go with favorite albums because that probably creates a more interesting list that might show more variation from something like the stones list. A personal example , I am a big vic chesnutt fan obviously and some of his albums would rank high in my all time favorites but if i had to choose best ever albums I had problems ranking is the actor happy over blonde on blonde.

Each member has to list their individual top 100 albums and assign points to that album, a maximum of 10 points per album can be chosen, a minimum of 1 point
I hate 1 point votes in the Year End Megalist thread so much I've debated eliminating the option, so I doubt I'll do it this way. Im leaning towards set values 1-50 (could be convinced to do 1-100 if people are into that) like the AOTY weekly thread that finished up a little bit ago. If there are enough people that want to do the Megalist point system we can put it to a vote

I like public lists. I like the conversation. Really you put Black Messiah on there and not Voodoo? What kind of crack are you smoking?

I agree 100%. Without the conversation it’s a bit of a dull exercise that’s essentially maths. The fun of these threads is the back and forth and being reminded of things you’d forgotten or poked to try something you’d been meaning to.

I also really dislike that scoring system, sorry @Tys1

Yes , I think greatest hits and compilations should be avoided but excluding soundtracks would cut out original works from people like Ennio morricone, miles davis , or reznor/Ross etc. Live albums are a mixed bag because some of them are like greatest hits packages ( live rust may be my most played neil young album but also collects songs from different allbums) there are live albums especially in the jazz genre where the live versions elevate songs to a whole other level where the studio albums don't go.

Back