The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

I agree 100%. Without the conversation it’s a bit of a dull exercise that’s essentially maths. The fun of these threads is the back and forth and being reminded of things you’d forgotten or poked to try something you’d been meaning to.
To increase the madness and find a compromise how about a two-step process. First lists created till a deadline without publication to minimze the influence of herd mentality, then a time-frame the lists get published in the thread and discussed, compared etc followed by a chance for everyone to edit their lists to a final answer.

Yes , I think greatest hits and compilations should be avoided but excluding soundtracks would cut out original works from people like Ennio morricone, miles davis , or reznor/Ross etc. Live albums are a mixed bag because some of them are like greatest hits packages ( live rust may be my most played neil young album but also collects songs from different allbums) there are live albums especially in the jazz genre where the live versions elevate songs to a whole other level where the studio albums don't go.
Fine ill allow soundtracks that are original works by a singular artists

To increase the madness and find a compromise how about a two-step process. First lists created till a deadline without publication to minimze the influence of herd mentality, then a time-frame the lists get published in the thread and discussed, compared etc followed by a chance for everyone to edit their lists to a final answer.
You had me until the word edit

That’s insane. It’s just huge amounts of extra admin. Plus I don’t think there’s a herd mentality in here, there’s a pig-headed argumentative streak in the majority of us...

That’s insane. It’s just huge amounts of extra admin. Plus I don’t think there’s a herd mentality in here, there’s a pig-headed argumentative streak in the majority of us...
Maybe just set a date before no lists shall be published so everyone ca wittle down there list before and that would mean no extra effort. Although I'm sensing @Woob_woob rather likes extra administrative effort

I like this, the intention behind making the list private is simply because of the exact herd mentality you mention and I want people to be comfortable submitting a list that doesn’t mention David Bowie or Prince instead of just thinking “well shit, I learned a long time ago that it’s not a top 100 if it ain’t got Bowie, better throw him on here somewhere”. No offense to anybody here but people are a lot less independent thinking than we assume, and I 100% realistically include myself in that group.

Maybe just set a date before no lists shall be published so everyone ca wittle down there list before and that would mean no extra effort. Although I'm sensing @Woob_woob rather likes extra administrative effort

Yeah I think people should just be able to do their thing. Once it’s up submit when you’re ready. I don’t think that we should be pandering to people who are too scared of judgement to say what they like or deal with discussion around a pick. Also it’s a good thing if you see something you’d forgotten on someone else’s list that you might like in your own. I don’t get this whole fear of “influence” 🤷🏻‍♂️

If I do this, the hardest decision will be whether to include too many albums from the time period where I was about 15-25, which for some strange, unfathomable reason has A LOT of my favorite albums*, or whether to try to be "objective" and make sure to balance my decades some.

*Note- I'm being sarcastic> I know it has everything to do with me being that age and discovering music at the time, and nothing to do with the relative merit of the music.

If I do this, the hardest decision will be whether to include too many albums from the time period where I was about 15-25, which for some strange, unfathomable reason has A LOT of my favorite albums, or whether to try to be "objective" and make sure to balance my decades some.

That’s just the thing, it’s really YOUR top 100. So if half of them happen to fall into one decade and 10 of them have sub 5.0 ratings on p4K then more power to ya, it’s your list! the N&G part comes later when it’s all summarized into a master.

That’s just thing, it’s really YOUR top 100. So if half of them happen to fall into one decade then more power to ya, it’s your list.... the N&G part comes later when it’s all summarized into a master.

In that case, it's on all you to balance out my bias.

I'm counting on you.

Mrs. Eisenhower is counting on you.

America is counting on you.

My thoughts on this, although in my eyes we should defer to whatever rules and structure the kind N&Ger(s) doing the heavy lifting of compilation prefers.

(1) Submittals should be blind. Anyone choosing to participate should submit their list to whoever’s compiling the results before posting it publicly. Otherwise too much groupthink and confirmation bias will be introduced. Groupthink is a tyranny of boredom. No edits. I know this process would make the poll more logistically challenging but still putting it out there.

(2) We should submit unapologetic, idiosyncratic, arbitrary, passionate, personally-biased lists of favorites, not “best of” or “greatest” lists. Seriously, who needs another “greatest” list? Not me. Zzzzzz. We’re not the Library of Congress, we’re a dang vinyl/music board. Let the freak flags fly loud and proud.

(3) Everyone submits the same number of titles, whatever that number may be. I would prefer 100. I think once we start writing them out, 50 will fill up very quickly. If someone can’t make a full list, they probably shouldn’t be participating.

(4) Consider making the final compiled list 100, not 500. Five hundred sounds utterly overwhelming and I’m not even sure we’d have enough contributors to make a list of 500 meaningful. And I may be in the minority but I get no enjoyment slogging through Top 500 lists.

Last edited:
Back