The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

I think the biggest casualty of the one album per artist orthodoxy was Bowie, I would definitely have expected him to have an album higher. I suppose he suffered from having such a run of great albums that people chose from a spread of them rather than there being a standout concentrating the votes.
Dunno - could argue the same for Led Zeppelin (and Radiohead showed it didn't hurt everyone).

A fun list - I look forward to checking out some of the albums (although I was happy to have 59 of the top 100). One thing - Counting Crows' August and Everything After is listed twice (430 and 395)

No I didn’t because I thought it was dumb, some artists are better and it’s not my top 50 without all the albums of theirs that I like.

It did feel like the majority of the published lists did though.
I didn't either; I had a ton of multiples. Not gonna penalize Dylan for making too many great records!

Welp, my assumption is that I am the only person who had that particular album in my top 50 (unless @Goatfish included it). It was #16 on my top 50. So one person including it in their top 20 was at least enough to get it placed at #500.

Three cheers for the outliers!
I don't think this is the case as I had some items in my Top 10 not make the list at all (unless my list was missed).

Last edited:
I'll add on my list. Lots of female artists and recent items on here. Given this is the second mention of Rilo Kiley on this thread and it didn't make Top 500 I'm super curious what the cut off was.

RankArtistAlbumPoints
1Amy WinehouseBack to Black50
2Jason IsbellSoutheastern49
3The xxxx48
4Sarah JaroszFollow Me Down47
5Rilo KileyMore Adventurous46
6Carly Rae JepsenEmotion45
7A Fine FrenzyOne Cell in the Sea44
8Grateful DeadAmerican Beauty43
9Beach BoysPet Sounds42
10Neko CaseMiddle Cyclone41
11Lin-Manuel MirandaHamilton: An American Musical (Original Broadway Cast Recording)40
12The BeatlesAbbey Road39
13Fleetwood MacRumours38
14Kanye WestMy Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy37
15Carole KingTapestry36
16Norah JonesCome Away With Me35
17RadioheadThe Bends34
18Arcade FireThe Suburbs33
19Oasis(What's The Story) Morning Glory32
20Tracy ChapmanTracy Chapman31
21LordeMelodrama30
22Death Cab For CutiePlans29
23MetricFantasies28
24First Aid KitThe Lion's Roar27
25Daft PunkDiscovery26
26Jenny Lewis and the Watson TwinsRabbit Fur Coat25
27Phoebe BridgersPunisher24
28Girl TalkFeed The Animals23
29Taylor Swift198922
30Kacey MusgravesSame Trailer, Different Park21
31RobynBody Talk20
32Michael JacksonThriller19
33CHVRCHESEvery Open Eye18
34Fitz and the TantrumsPickin Up The Pieces17
35The Lonely IslandIncredibad16
36Lake Street DiveBad Self Portraits15
37WetDon't You14
38Vampire WeekendModern Vampires of the City13
39James TaylorSweet Baby James12
40Jack JohnsonBrushfire Fairyales11
41Courtney BarnettSometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit10
42Matt and KimGrand9
43Elton JohnGoodbye Yellow Brick Road8
44DessaParts of Speech7
45No DoubtTragic Kingdom6
46The MowglisWaiting for the Dawn5
47Kendrick LamarGood Kid, M.A.A.D. City4
48Jessie BuckleyWild Rose (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)3
49Vince Guaraldi TrioA Charlie Brown Christmas2
50Caroline SpenceMint Condition1

Welp, my assumption is that I am the only person who had that particular album in my top 50 (unless @Goatfish included it). It was #16 on my top 50. So one person including it in their top 20 was at least enough to get it placed at #500.

Then I fear that my list was not counted, because there are SEVERAL albums from my top 10 that did not make the Top 500.

Oh no! What have I started.

If there are calls for a recount I will immediately step down and resign my post as.....as.....um.....

/me sprints from the room

I count a few albums that I'm fairly sure I'm solely responsible for having a spot on the list.

488. MGMT - Congratulations
348. Jeff Rosenstock - Worry.
322. Laura Stevenson - Cocksure
303. Mitski - Be the Cowboy (nobody else had this?! 😳)
273. Death Grips - Year of the Snitch

And unless my eyes deceive me, it looks like it might have been the only person with Portishead's Third on my list and me having it at number 1 was enough to get it to 235. The only assumption I have there is that the one-artist led to most people picking Dummy over it because the alternative is that people don't love an album that I do and as we all know, this is just scientifically impossible. 😛

I count a few albums that I'm fairly sure I'm solely responsible for having a spot on the list.

488. MGMT - Congratulations
348. Jeff Rosenstock - Worry.
322. Laura Stevenson - Cocksure
303. Mitski - Be the Cowboy (nobody else had this?! 😳)
273. Death Grips - Year of the Snitch

And unless my eyes deceive me, it looks like it might have been the only person with Portishead's Third on my list and me having it at number 1 was enough to get it to 235. The only assumption I have there is that the one-artist led to most people picking Dummy over it because the alternative is that people don't love an album that I do and as we all know, this is just scientifically impossible. 😛

Not everyone shared their lists on the thread, so we can’t know for sure whether any one of us was to only person to list a specific album.

The reason I’m curious about the point cutoff is because I had two Belle and Sebastian albums in my top 5, plus another in the mid-20s (If You’re Feeling Sinister) that appeared on at least two other lists and would’ve had more than 50 points if they were all counted. Yet the Top 500 features none of them.

Another one I ranked very high is PJ Harvey’s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, and that appeared on at least five shared lists (positions 6, 19, 22, 26, and 43 = 139 points)... and yet it’s not in the top 500.

Also me and @duke86fan managing to get Clarence Clarity to number 215 makes me very happy 😄
i am pretty sure i am the ONLY reason the black parade is so high since i basically gave it 49 points

i wonder how many of these were ties there were on here... i feel like i cant have been exclusively responsible for this one

My PUSA is the reason for how high it is...outliers indeed need a 🍺🍺🍺😂

Dunno - could argue the same for Led Zeppelin (and Radiohead showed it didn't hurt everyone).

A fun list - I look forward to checking out some of the albums (although I was happy to have 59 of the top 100). One thing - Counting Crows' August and Everything After is listed twice (430 and 395)
So is Otis blue but oh well 😂

Not everyone shared their lists on the thread, so we can’t know for sure whether any one of us was to only person to list a specific album.

The reason I’m curious about the point cutoff is because I had two Belle and Sebastian albums in my top 5, plus another in the mid-20s (If You’re Feeling Sinister) that appeared on at least two other lists and would’ve had more than 50 points if they were all counted. Yet the Top 500 features none of them.

Another one I ranked very high is PJ Harvey’s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, and that appeared on at least five shared lists (positions 6, 19, 22, 26, and 43 = 139 points)... and yet it’s not in the top 500.
With 62 entries I think it’s possible for the cutoff to be above 139 but it’s really unlikely, so either someone didn’t submit their list or one or more lists got missed...understandable given the sheer volume involved.

Back