The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

There was also the issue that my Top 50 wasn't the Top 50 on the list so it's objectively wrong.
I know you jest, but I’m still curious to know what the points cutoff was for an album to make the list (that is, to be 500th or above).

As I posted weeks ago, PJ Harvey’s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is a good test case because it appeared on at least five shared lists (positions 6, 19, 22, 26, and 43 = 139 points), but somehow did not make the top 500.

I don’t think the corrected list will look all that different (people love their Radiohead), but there appear to be some discrepancies when comparing the top 500 list and the individual top 50 lists that many people shared in this thread.

I know you jest, but I’m still curious to know what the points cutoff was for an album to make the list (that is, to be 500th or above).

As I posted weeks ago, PJ Harvey’s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is a good test case because it appeared on at least five shared lists (positions 6, 19, 22, 26, and 43 = 139 points), but somehow did not make the top 500.

I don’t think the corrected list will look all that different (people love their Radiohead), but there appear to be some discrepancies when comparing the top 500 list and the individual top 50 lists that many people shared in this thread.

You’re assuming that everyone who shared remembered to submit and that there weren’t a lot of submissions that weren’t shared. Also this was a bit of fun and woob kindly did the maths at a busy time in his life. Let’s not be nit picky.

You’re assuming that everyone who shared remembered to submit and that there weren’t a lot of submissions that weren’t shared. Also this was a bit of fun and woob kindly did the maths at a busy time in his life. Let’s not be nit picky.

Look, all we're saying is we need to pause for a minute, declare a little bit of martial law, seize the spreadsheets and analyze the computers used to tabulate the results, because otherwise how will we be sure that there wasn't a Venezuelan hack into the whole system by North Korean Italians? We just want the valid lists counted, and not the invalid ones!

I assumed this would go without saying, but I don’t think woob should feel pressured to take time away from his infant daughter and instead dedicate it to us vinyl degenerates.

That being said... I don’t think it’s crazy to wonder what the points cutoff was. Also, I know I submitted my list on time, and several of my top 5 did not make the top 500. Whereas other people were surprised see their top picks appear near the bottom end of the list, which indicates that the cutoff may have been as low as 50 or fewer points.

Put differently: I wonder if some lists that were submitted in timely fashion were not counted.

I've tossed all the data but the cutoff was around high 40s low 50s I think. I wouldnt mind redoing this at some point in the future with a nailed down format because I swear I got about a dozen different formats for lists. Some people put album first, some band first, some put correct band names while others put shorthand, some would put numbers in themselves while others used the numbers provided by the forum (God bless these people) while others still would put more than just artist - album which i would then have to edit out. Between all of those differences i had to search through and find, the year end megalist, the anxiety of my daughter arriving almost 2 weeks late, helping a family member with covid, and then the arrival of my daughter I mostly said fuck it. I did accidentally lose a little bit of it too and didn't care enough to go back and check every name again so yea its very possible a few lists didn't get added. This wasn't something I planned right, or at all really, it was a spur of the moment idea due to RS putting out their 500. Im sorry, but also I really don't care. If anyone really wants to redo the math I can send them all of the ballots

I've tossed all the data but the cutoff was around high 40s low 50s I think. I wouldnt mind redoing this at some point in the future with a nailed down format because I swear I got about a dozen different formats for lists. Some people put album first, some band first, some put correct band names while others put shorthand, some would put numbers in themselves while others used the numbers provided by the forum (God bless these people) while others still would put more than just artist - album which i would then have to edit out. Between all of those differences i had to search through and find, the year end megalist, the anxiety of my daughter arriving almost 2 weeks late, helping a family member with covid, and then the arrival of my daughter I mostly said fuck it. I did accidentally lose a little bit of it too and didn't care enough to go back and check every name again so yea its very possible a few lists didn't get added. This wasn't something I planned right, or at all really, it was a spur of the moment idea due to RS putting out their 500. Im sorry, but also I really don't care. If anyone really wants to redo the math I can send them all of the ballots
You did great work @Woob_woob ...I say funk it. At the end of the day...who really cares if the list is accurate or not...I know I surely don’t 🍺🍺

hope all is well and you’re enjoying fatherhood

No apologies, that was an insane endeavor! I’d be curious to look at the ballots and whatever final document/spreadsheet you have. I’ll PM you my email address.

Don’t sweat it, @Woob_woob I think ya did great. Especially with a lot on your plate. It was a fun list to look over but I bet it was a bear to compile.

It's an interesting list, reflective of the site's members in that the top 20 is not wall-to-wall Beatles/Led Zep/Floyd/Stones classic rock, (as it would be at Steve Hoffman)

I'm just glad I got my #1, Jesus Lizard's "Goat", in there at #241.

Back