The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Out of the N&G picks, I'm considering Mark de Clive-Lowe's Heritage I, Gloaming 2 (yeah, the selection was Gloaming 3, but I like 2 slightly more), and Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi -- The Four Seasons.

I picked 3 and I prefer 2 as well so you’re in good company. I kinda picked 3 as it’s feels like the culmination of a journey in which their sound was progressing and becoming a more contemporary and minimal take on the traditional.

Out of the ones they introduced me to there’s a chance at Norgren and Gang of Youths making the cut although if they did make the cut they’d be pretty low.

Agree with norgren and it being low...I have way too many albums Ahead of them because of influential albums growing up

I'm not sure if VMP or the forum introduced me to Norgren, but it is good stuff - definitely not high enough to make top 50 for me.

It might be cool to make a list of the top 10 - 25 things the forum has introduced us to.

Quilt- Plaza is probably my favorite new to me VMP pick

Mine is probably Kadhja Bonet - Childqueen. I reckon that would make my top 200 list but we’re not going there (yet).

On a related note, I was thinking the other day about how I have no idea how many albums I’ve listened to in my lifetime. I assume around 10,000? Probably more? It’s so difficult to estimate.

I'm not sure if VMP or the forum introduced me to Norgren, but it is good stuff - definitely not high enough to make top 50 for me.

It might be cool to make a list of the top 10 - 25 things the forum has introduced us to.

The crazy thing is that if Norgen makes the cut it’d be Wooh Dang. I recognize Buck as a better album but there hasn’t been many Sunday mornings since it was released that I don’t wake my wife up with “The Day that’s just begun” followed by “When I hold you in my arms”.

Mine is probably Kadhja Bonet - Childqueen. I reckon that would make my top 200 list but we’re not going there (yet).

On a related note, I was thinking the other day about how I have no idea how many albums I’ve listened to in my lifetime. I assume around 10,000? Probably more? It’s so difficult to estimate.
Both of those albums I got as non-VMP versions, probably because I saw everyone on the forum raving about them. Rate both of them. Good picks!

The thing I’m looking most forward to is not showing you all my top 50 but to see what classic albums I need to spend more time with and learning of some unique artists I may have never heard of.

Actually I´ve got several VMP releases on my 100 long list (Donots, Madvillain, Lost In The Dream, Ready to Die, Journey to Satchidananda, Cosmogramma, Person Pitch, Bitte Orca, Mamas Gun) but they would all have been there before they entered the VMP Olympus. However, the one that I would not know of without VMP is Max Roach´s Percussion Bitter Sweet, which has a good chance to end up on my final list.

Honest, non-trolling question: is anyone putting in an album that they got from VMP, one that they hadn't heard before? Just interested if those years of curation got anyone an album that became one of their all-time favourites.

For me, it's a no. There were albums by bands I knew, or knew of that I'm glad I have (Hot Chip, Four Tet, loads of others), but nothing new that would hit a top 50. The closest to hitting a top 100 would be Lee Scratch Perry, Forest Swords, Monster Rally, Jorge Ben, Jess Ribeiro...
Nothing they introduced me to, no. Demon Days will be on my list (shocker, right?) but I obviously was familiar with that album long before I even knew what a VMP was (and I actively despise their pressing for omitting the transitions anyhow).

Honest, non-trolling question: is anyone putting in an album that they got from VMP, one that they hadn't heard before? Just interested if those years of curation got anyone an album that became one of their all-time favourites.

For me, it's a no. There were albums by bands I knew, or knew of that I'm glad I have (Hot Chip, Four Tet, loads of others), but nothing new that would hit a top 50. The closest to hitting a top 100 would be Lee Scratch Perry, Forest Swords, Monster Rally, Jorge Ben, Jess Ribeiro...

Two inside my top 100, 1 inside my top 50.

I actually think about extracting my list of 1000 or so titles through an app that does a merge sort algorithm from duels and calculates a list from that if I fibd rhe right app.

My original plan to start sorting items out was to take albums that had at least two plays (25 song plays+) in my last.fm and throw them in a spread sheet to start weeding them out. Turns out that's well into the 1000+ range, so time to up that range. And there's plenty of all timers I probably haven't listened to digitally twice through. This is gonna be a journey

Back