The 'I Did a Thing' Thread

This month's Record City Japan order. Packaging on this was at a completely different level from previous shipments, all of which have been just fine, but this one would have survived an explosion. Also the first time I've had to sign for the package, which was a bit surprising. Just got it within the past hour so haven't cleaned or played anything yet, but man, all of the vinyl looks like its never even been touched. Not sure how I'll ever resist this growing obsession, but I will do my best (I will, I will) to hold off until next month before placing another order.

View attachment 135589
Damn! I need that Thad Jones, that April in Paris rendition is my favorite of all time of that song. Absolutely stunning cover. Point me towards what pressing that is?

Do you do FedEx? Have you ever had to pay customs fees? I placed a large order last night, and just trying to figure out what to expect. I had pare down my cart to something less insane. 😂
Not sure there’s an option—FedEx is how they ship. I’ve never had to pay customs fees, and their packages always arrive to me 5 days from order placement, which still seems unbelievable.

Damn! I need that Thad Jones, that April in Paris rendition is my favorite of all time of that song. Absolutely stunning cover. Point me towards what pressing that is?

Listened to this and I agree, it’s a keeper. ;). Though I do wish there was more of Billy Mitchell throughout.

Also, the Barney Wilen is as smokin’ as its cover.

Not sure there’s an option—FedEx is how they ship. I’ve never had to pay customs fees, and their packages always arrive to me 5 days from order placement, which still seems unbelievable.
That’s good to hear. When I checked out, there was an option for EMS or FedEx. EMS was faster but more than double the cost.

Do you buy from their discogs store or their website?

That’s good to hear. When I checked out, there was an option for EMS or FedEx. EMS was faster but more than double the cost.

Buy from their site. Shipping is cheaper. There’s also a sweet spot with shipping prices so play with adding a title in or taking one out of your cart once you get past 3 or 4

Last edited:

Yeah what @MikeH said. I order from their website and add/remove things from my cart until I find a cost/shipping balance I can live with.

Buy from their site. Shipping is cheaper. There’s also a sweet spot with shipping prices so play with adding a title in or taking one out of your cart once you get past 3 or 4
Yeah what @MikeH said. I order from their website and add/remove things from my cart until I find a cost/shipping balance I can live with.

Yeah, I placed the order on their site last night. I grabbed 10 albums 😳. But that’s better than the 25 I initially placed in my cart lol.

Probably will be keeping it to 3-4 albums at a time in the future since I grabbed a lot of my wants this time around. But even with my order, shipping didn’t seem ridiculous ($30) considering the quantity and distance (and quality/quickness from what y’all have said).

Yeah, I placed the order on their site last night. I grabbed 10 albums 😳. But that’s better than the 25 I initially placed in my cart lol.

Probably will be keeping it to 3-4 albums at a time in the future since I grabbed a lot of my wants this time around. But even with my order, shipping didn’t seem ridiculous ($30) considering the quantity and distance (and quality/quickness from what y’all have said).
Haha! There’s usually a point where by adding or subtracting a record, the shipping cost drops from $20+ To about $12, and that’s what I usually aim for. (In the 4-6 record range.) Hell, you could easily pay $30 for shipping of 10 albums in the US!

Well if shipping is gonna be that cheap, then I’ll up it from 3-4 to 4-6 records per order 😂
It's worth playing around with. I just looked back at my last order and I paid about $12 shipping, a bit under, for 5 records. IIRC, a 6th record would have increased that shipping cost significantly.

I am not a highroller or a big time dealer.
I sell off doubles and stuff I don’t want in my spare time. I have done this off & on since I got out of college in the late 80s. it is one of the ways I have funded my own collection. I have always done it in lower numbers.

A friend of a friend asked me if I wanted to look at a lot he didn’t want. Doubles, culling his giant collection, etc. I went and looked, he said over 500 pieces. We agreed on a price, and there ended up being around 650 in all. I will definitely keep some, but a lot of it isn’t in my wheelhouse.

This is going to take time, but I enjoy it. I’m setting up at 3 record fairs in PA this month. Lots of lugging and long days.

View attachment 128515View attachment 128516S
I am just now going through this thread and man, coil's "windowpane" single is a really nice catch (first picture, lower right corner). Not particularly expensive but not very common at all, that's a super nice catch! if there's more coil in there that you want to get rid of, uh, I might know a guy

This month's Record City Japan order. Packaging on this was at a completely different level from previous shipments, all of which have been just fine, but this one would have survived an explosion. Also the first time I've had to sign for the package, which was a bit surprising. Just got it within the past hour so haven't cleaned or played anything yet, but man, all of the vinyl looks like its never even been touched. Not sure how I'll ever resist this growing obsession, but I will do my best (I will, I will) to hold off until next month before placing another order.

View attachment 135589

What's the Barney Wilen like?

I really like it. Some different styles, with Wilen playing soprano, tenor, or baritone across different cuts. Some nice work from Kenny Barron on piano throughout. Overall just has a nice, uplifting feel to it. Here are a couple of tracks:

I'll have a look for it. I saw it a while ago but it was very expensive and I didn't know much about it.

I have this on order at the minute, expecting it on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'll have a loo for it. I saw it a while ago but it was very expensive and I didn't know much about it.

I have this on order at the minute, expecting it on Tuesday.

Nice! The other album of his that I have is from Sam Records. Haven't listened to it in a while, but definitely up to Sam's high-quality standards.

Nice! The other album of his that I have is from Sam Records. Haven't listened to it in a while, but definitely up to Sam's high-quality standards.

This reissue is solid!

This reissue is solid!
These 2 are really great as well.

Should probably post in the Jazz, or definitive Audiophile threads, but wanted to continue the Barney Wilen conversation.

These are my first purchases from the Sony Japan Analog Jazz Master collection. Just listening to the second side of Wilen now (that's why the photo has an empty sleeve). What great releases, everyone should ship records like this. The sleeves are flipback, very much like the Sam titles, great quality replicas. The picture sleeve isn't used to house the vinyl, just an insert. A white cardboard sleeve is used for the vinyl, with a Japanese style semi-circular inner (not sure what the correct name is). All great quality.

The Barney Wilen is a great session, really swings. You might be able to get an older pressing cheaper & it could even sound better, but I'm really happy with this. Very much reminds me of a Sam Records release in terms of quality.

The Ann Burton, is also fantastic, sounds great, same standard of packaging. More of studio album so cleaner sound. I'll definitely be on the look out for more Sony Japan titles. Very happy (now on the look out for a reasonably priced copy of New York Romance).

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 22.16.30.png

Back