The 'I Did a Thing' Thread

Russ I

These little confessions seem to crop up in various threads and I thought it might be fun to have a place where they can congregate.

My most recent purchase that felt a bit guilty was from Record City Japan, where I found some jazz albums, mostly in the $40-50 range, that for some reason I wasn't willing to pass up (somehow shipping was only $12, so there's that). On the plus side (here comes the rationalization!!), last year around this time I was buying a Clearaudio turntable and Harbeth speakers, so all things considered....

What's your most recent 'thing' that had you questioning your good sense before taking the plunge? Spill it here--you're among friends!

RCJazz.jpg

These little confessions seem to crop up in various threads and I thought it might be fun to have a place where they can congregate.

My most recent purchase that felt a bit guilty was from Record City Japan, where I found some jazz albums, mostly in the $40-50 range, that for some reason I wasn't willing to pass up (somehow shipping was only $12, so there's that). On the plus side (here comes the rationalization!!), last year around this time I was buying a Clearaudio turntable and Harbeth speakers, so all things considered....

What's your most recent 'thing' that had you questioning your good sense before taking the plunge? Spill it here--you're among friends!

View attachment 127397
Damn this looks like an order I would place!! Cant fault any of these choices, killer stuff!

View attachment 127397

I’ve really got get some more stuff from recordcity. I keep adding to a basket on their site, it’s quite embarrassingly large at this stage…

If we are doing confessions, I bought the signed Obama/Springsteen book. I am really not that much of an autograph person.

In my defense: someone did post it in the online deals section. Also, well, icons.

and yes. I paid $416 for a book.

but .. it has a slipcase?

I've actually been really good about this in the last few months. I lost on an Ebay auction that would qualify and looking at my Discogs RSD was probably the last time I spent more than $15 on a record with questionable taste.

Well, except this one. So like a year ago or so someone on Reddit posted a WANTED for this album, and it really hit that sentimental spot - it's one of my favorite movies of all time (not saying great...) and while I never thought the soundtrack was a standout, it has some of those musical cues that just bring all the emotions back. I also had assumed, for years, this would be like a ton of others 80s soundtrack and be $2 bargain bin grabs. Turns out this one isn't. The one on Discogs at the time was something absurd and I still had not seeing it around. Some stock has popped up overseas. Then a FB Seller put a $40 tag on his copy and well...who doesn't want this album cover in their house?

PXL_20220204_173057196.MP.jpg

I've actually been really good about this in the last few months. I lost on an Ebay auction that would qualify and looking at my Discogs RSD was probably the last time I spent more than $15 on a record with questionable taste.

Well, except this one. So like a year ago or so someone on Reddit posted a WANTED for this album, and it really hit that sentimental spot - it's one of my favorite movies of all time (not saying great...) and while I never thought the soundtrack was a standout, it has some of those musical cues that just bring all the emotions back. I also had assumed, for years, this would be like a ton of others 80s soundtrack and be $2 bargain bin grabs. Turns out this one isn't. The one on Discogs at the time was something absurd and I still had not seeing it around. Some stock has popped up overseas. Then a FB Seller put a $40 tag on his copy and well...who doesn't want this album cover in their house?

View attachment 127567
Who says FB is all bad?

View attachment 127567
This sounds like an easy one to justify! Nicely done.

Back