The Grammy Awards Thread

If you want to clip the quote it is. Empty Sky is a worse album than HS1. Elton’s ST was critically mixed and was still a breakout but Fine Line was a much deeper album with, imo, similar highs. HH vs Tumbleweed is a taste matter, I get that argument for sure.
Elton’s self-titled wasn’t his best for sure but strangly enough it was nominated for AOTY while Madman, Honky Chateau, and GYBR were not.

No one here is like, you don't like The Smile... get the fuck out... that would be indie snobbery or Beyonce makes pop music so doesn't count as real music.

Not attitudes that prevail here.

Hell Pitchfork the most indie snob of the snobbiest had Beyonce as their album of the year...

That’s the frustrating part. You are a fan, and you are acknowledging he hasn’t made a magnum opus, maybe he will but it hasn’t happened yet…regardless he has an AOTY Grammy. Something Elton John never received.

That’s a matter of circumstance though. Like GYBR wasn’t even nominated, that’s not saying anything about Elton but Grammy voters. Bob Newhart has an AotY. The Beatles have one, The Stones have 0. Like, if people want to argue Bey or Kendrick over Harry I’d happily agree. But I don’t see much value in the Bowie or Elton vs. Styles comparison to denigrate Styles other than maybe giving credit to the general population that they’re willing to accept and award Styles when they weren’t ready for a Elton or Bowie.

And if you like, Harry had One Direction seasoning and Elton got Bernie Taupin. Harry hasn’t reached peak Elton yet and he probably never will, nor did I say as much, but purely in early output I know where my edge lies. Does Harry have that next gear though? Eh…
I am sure Harry likely has a few songwriters and producers helping him out as well. Which is fine.

That’s a matter of circumstance though. Like GYBR wasn’t even nominated, that’s not saying anything about Elton but Grammy voters. Bob Newhart has an AotY. The Beatles have one, The Stones have 0. Like, if people want to argue Bey or Kendrick over Harry I’d happily agree. But I don’t see much value in the Bowie or Elton vs. Styles comparison to denigrate Styles other than maybe giving credit to the general population that they’re willing to accept and award Styles when they weren’t ready for a Elton or Bowie.
I mean, people compare him to Elton and Bowie, how does that denigrate him? A couple of people here saying "meh, I don't see it." doesn't change the fact that this is a prevailing thought among the public.

I am sure Harry likely has a few songwriters and producers helping him out as well. Which is fine.
Totally. Like the credit list on all these albums is a mile long - Harry’s is a team of three, he’s not writing this alone either. I don’t think I need to go into the Taupin John partnership and how that may just be a tad more special…

I mean, people compare him to Elton and Bowie, how does that denigrate him? A couple of people here saying "meh, I don't see it." doesn't change the fact that this is a prevailing thought among the public.

I don’t think he asked to be compared to them or that the music really invites comparison tbh. If people want to compare on looks that’s on them I guess but then some people try to turn it to the music when really everything from time to place to sound are different.

But I don’t see much value in the Bowie or Elton vs. Styles comparison to denigrate Styles other than maybe giving credit to the general population that they’re willing to accept and award Styles when they weren’t ready for a Elton or Bowie.
The Elton and Bowie comps are definitely not something I personally would have ever made myself. This is how he, his label, and his PR team have chosen to present him. They keep telling me the is like a young modern version of these artists. They present him this way which is a choice but he needs to back it up with music and on that point I am still waiting for a “Rocket Man” or “Space Oddity”. He plays the role fine but I’m still waiting on the music.

The Elton and Bowie comps are definitely not something I personally would have ever made myself. This is how he, his label, and his PR team have chosen to present him. They keep telling me the is like a young modern version of these artists. They present him this way which is a choice but he needs to back it up with music and on that point I am still waiting for a “Rocket Man” or “Space Oddity”. He plays the role fine but I’m still waiting on the music.

Who is saying this? Like I get where you’re coming from but where is his label or he pushing this? Maybe I missed that entirely but they’re different people. People are absolutely making assumptions based on appearance or dress but I can’t say I’ve seen Harry Styles saying he’s the new Elton or Bowie or whatever

No one here is like, you don't like The Smile... get the fuck out... that would
Having an indie bias and being indie snob are two different things...
Fair enough. I said indie bias originally, it was moved to snobbery, and I should’ve stuck with bias. I stand by bias.

I will say - regardless of whether I agree with it or not - it is refreshing to see a male artist compared to other male artists so intensely. Sure, there are other examples of comparisons. But, for real, anytime (hyperbole for emphasis) someone mentions a female artist, within a sentence or two it is a comparison to other female artists. Except Beyonce - she is inimitable and no one is foolish enough to attempt otherwise.

Back