The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Wow! What an unbelievable run at the Hollywood Bowl. These guys are on absolute fire this year. They are doing a great job at mixing up the set lists. The night one encore was Terrapin Station! For the night two opener, they had a high school orchestra come out on stage and play A Love Supreme into Shakedown Street! I was completely blown away, and am still a bit speechless. Seeing shows like these really makes me want to drop everything and go on tour.
20190603_212744.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What an unbelievable run at the Hollywood Bowl. These guys are on absolute fire this year. They are doing a great job at mixing up the set lists. The night one encore was Terrapin Station! For the night two opener, they had a high school orchestra come out on stage and play A Love Supreme into Shakedown Street! I was completely blown away, and am still a bit speechless. Seeing shows line these really makes me want to drop everything and go on tour.
View attachment 4810
Damn, I’m gonna need to check out that “A Love Supreme” -> “Shakedown Street.” That sounds like a recipe for magic right there.

I just discovered this thread! Awesome!

I'm a second generation deadhead. My dad wanted to name me Jerome. Haha I'm pretty sure he's still annoyed with my mom about losing that battle.

I have the mofi American beauty and a decent pressing of workingman's dead in my collection. I'd love recommendations on my next Dead album. Which sonically sounds incredible?

Added another Dead album to my collection

View attachment 5194

This popped up as a vinyl deal for like $18, which still isn't that cheap, but I had to jump on it. It was out of stock, but wound up randomly shipping yesterday and arriving this morning. Happy to have it!
If it sounds good, then 18 is a good price. Great LP

Added another Dead album to my collection

View attachment 5194

This popped up as a vinyl deal for like $18, which still isn't that cheap, but I had to jump on it. It was out of stock, but wound up randomly shipping yesterday and arriving this morning. Happy to have it!
If Blues For Allah and One From The Vault acquainted me with the Dead, this is the album that theisted me deep within the Dead rabbt hole.

That “Dark Star” forever changed my life.
Seriously.

And man, that “The Eleven.” Remember playing that all day on 11-11-11. That intro jam is just something else, and I just love how Jerry comes musically waltzing in.

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread! Awesome!

I'm a second generation deadhead. My dad wanted to name me Jerome. Haha I'm pretty sure he's still annoyed with my mom about losing that battle.

I have the mofi American beauty and a decent pressing of workingman's dead in my collection. I'd love recommendations on my next Dead album. Which sonically sounds incredible?
Wake of the Flood or Blues For Allah.
If you want psychedelic, Aoxomoxoa or Anthem of the Sun.
For live go Europe 72, Reckoning, One From The Vault, or Bear’s Choice (this album never gets talked about as much as I’d like. It’s fantastic and a personally favorite of mine.)

And hell yeah, another Minnesota Deadhead.
Dark Star Orchestra is playing the Zoo amphitheater this summer. 💀🌹

For live go Europe 72, Reckoning, One From The Vault, or Bear’s Choice (this album never gets talked about as much as I’d like. It’s fantastic and a personally favorite of mine.)

Speaking of Aoxomoxoa, they just reissued it today, but it's a picture disk. :(

Speaking of Aoxomoxoa, they just reissued it today, but it's a picture disk. :(

Gonna be honest, I’ll be tempted to grab one when they pop on vinyl deals. Have always loved the album artwork.

Already have a VG+\NM 1969 original and a recent Rhino repress (which sounds about as good, honestly) so I’m good on owning a copy. Would love to frame and hang the picture disc though.

Bears Choice! Love that one, Smokestack Lightnin' in particular is such a great jam.

Hell yeah!! Oh I want to go to that show! Awesome. Whereabouts in MN? I’m in Inver Grove Heights.

If Blues For Allah and One From The Vault acquainted me with the Dead, this is the album that theisted me deep within the Dead rabbt hole.

That “Dark Star” forever changed my life.
Seriously.

And man, that “The Eleven.” Remember playing that all day on 11-11-11. That intro jam is just something else, and I just love how Jerry comes musically waltzing in.

Agreed on this too - Live/Dead sucked me in. I went to the Fare The Well shows in Santa Clara- Getting Dark Star --> St. Stephen --> The Eleven was the highlight. Although seeing Bruce Hornsby back with the boys was a close second.

Bears Choice! Love that one, Smokestack Lightnin' in particular is such a great jam.
Agreed, plus you get a “Katie Mae” which I *believe,* don’t quote me on that, was only performed a handful of times.

Besides the “Smokestack Lightning,” the “Hard To Handle” is awesome as well. I tell people I learned how to solo on guitar from studying those two songs. Ha!

Also really like how the album showcases the acoustic/electric sets they were doing in 1970. Something they would not bring back until 1980.
Hell yeah!! Oh I want to go to that show! Awesome. Whereabouts in MN? I’m in Inver Grove Heights.
I’m in Shakopee.
Need to figure out if I can get the night off for the show, but I love those DSO Zoo shows. Especially on a nice summer night. 👌

Agreed, plus you get a “Katie Mae” which I *believe,* don’t quote me on that, was only performed a handful of times.

Besides the “Smokestack Lightning,” the “Hard To Handle” is awesome as well. I tell people I learned how to solo on guitar from studying those two songs. Ha!

Also really like how the album showcases the acoustic/electric sets they were doing in 1970. Something they would not bring back until 1980.

I’m in Shakopee.
Need to figure out if I can get the night off for the show, but I love those DSO Zoo shows. Especially on a nice summer night. 👌

For sure! I want to go to this one and Conor Oberst this year.

Okay friend. I’m a Grateful Dead rookie, only listened to Blues For Allah because my best friend gave it to me as a going away gift when I moved to LA in September. That album blew me away, want to get deeper into their discography but I have no idea where to start. Only other song I know by them is Ripple because I heard it on a shroom trip and blasted off into another realm. Would anyone be so kind as to make me a little starters guide?

Back