The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

In the short period that DVD-Audio was a thing, I got the releases for American Beauty & Workingman's Dead - Mickey did the remixes I believe, including the 5.1/surround mixes. I thought those would be a gimmick, but it really brought out some subtleties in the albums, especially in Bob's rhythm guitar playing.

I've often heard/read people giving Donna Jean a hard time about her wails in some of the Dead songs, mostly Playin' In The Band. I've personally never had a problem with her and thought that they were a great addition most of the time. Don't get me wrong, her voice can be jarring at times, especially when you're coming out of a particularly spacey post-jam haze, but in the end I feel that it adds more to the song than subtracts from it.

I don't think this person feels the same way. They mashed together a bunch of wails from Playin' In The Band. I thought it was funny and entertaining and wanted to share.

Oh man, I love me some Donna most of the time but this immediately reminded me of that John Lennon/Yoko Ono with Chuck Berry video.

I have the American Beauty with the blue top. What's the difference in that and the black top? I really need to get that Workingman's. That was my first Dead album and certainly needs replacing

The blue top is the '79 pressing, mastered by Stan Ricker at half speed. The Black is the 2014 2LP @ 45RPM release which was cut on their Gain2 Ultra Analog system by Krieg Wunderlich.

I did a write up on Reddit a year or so ago comparing 4 different copies of American Beauty - the 2 MFSL releases, the 2011 Rhino reissue, and a '70 German 1st press: www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/7yo26h/four_american_beauties_a_comparison_writeupreview/

2014 MFSL was a clear winner, but the Rhino was a shockingly strong contender in 2nd place.

The blue top is the '79 pressing, mastered by Stan Ricker at half speed. The Black is the 2014 2LP @ 45RPM release which was cut on their Gain2 Ultra Analog system by Krieg Wunderlich.

I did a write up on Reddit a year or so ago comparing 4 different copies of American Beauty - the 2 MFSL releases, the 2011 Rhino reissue, and a '70 German 1st press: www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/7yo26h/four_american_beauties_a_comparison_writeupreview/

2014 MFSL was a clear winner, but the Rhino was a shockingly strong contender in 2nd place.
The Rhino one does sound insanely good for its price (got it for $34 CAD, whereas the MoFi I think is double that). Which I'm glad about, because I hate those goddamn ugly banners at the top, heh.

I really need to get on some of these MOFI's. I don't own a single one and all I hear are great things about them.

I wish I would have known about this when I got mine. Got mine about 3 years ago. Paid $50 for it, but it was sealed.

The Dead & Company summer tour started tonight at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA! Set one just wrapped up and it sure is off to a great start. I'll be at both nights at the Hollywood Bowl.. super excited!

Nugs.tv's YouTube has both set openers for free.. they usually do this for every show. Here's the first one.. starts at about 23:00

Here's the link for the second set opener. It should start around 9:00 pst.

(~);}

Not sure if any of you caught the show last night, but Dead & Co played an absolute burner of a Morning Dew..John Mayer absolutely nailed the solos. Then afterwards for the encore, Bob came out looking ripped for a 71 year old in a Mayer (Slayer) tank top!

20190602_141844.jpg

Not sure if any of you caught the show last night, but Dead & Co played an absolute burner of a Morning Dew..John Mayer absolutely nailed the solos. Then afterwards for the encore, Bob came out looking ripped for a 71 year old in a Mayer (Slayer) tank top!

View attachment 4288

John is otherworldly on that Morning Dew. Hot damn!

Back