The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

I have an unopened copy of this year's RSD Warfield set-- anyone have a strong opinion on it? I grabbed it on a bit of a whim and then listened to the stream before opening the box and I can't say I was blown away. Not sure if it is the mix/mastering or if acoustic Dead just isn't my thing, but I am thinking about finding a way to trade this for one of their other vinyl boxes that may be more up my alley. Anyone find the vinyl more engaging than the streaming version? And are there favorite live box sets out there? I have Cornell '77 and Nassau '90 already...

I have an unopened copy of this year's RSD Warfield set-- anyone have a strong opinion on it? I grabbed it on a bit of a whim and then listened to the stream before opening the box and I can't say I was blown away. Not sure if it is the mix/mastering or if acoustic Dead just isn't my thing, but I am thinking about finding a way to trade this for one of their other vinyl boxes that may be more up my alley. Anyone find the vinyl more engaging than the streaming version? And are there favorite live box sets out there? I have Cornell '77 and Nassau '90 already...

You ever listen to Reckoning?

You ever listen to Reckoning?
Yeah, though it had been a while. For some reason, I feel like the acoustic stuff works better in smaller doses. I just don't seem to get lost in the music the same way, I've heard those songs paired with Jerry's tone so many times that I can't shake the nagging feeling that something is off. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it? I'm just not sure I need the box when I could use the shelf space for a different set.

I don't really have a box set I'd be willing to trade, but if decide to sell it eventually, I would be interested.

Mind me asking where you're streaming it? I didn't pick up the set because I didn't know if it would be my cup of tea either, but I am curious.

Mind me asking where you're streaming it? I didn't pick up the set because I didn't know if it would be my cup of tea either, but I am curious.
It was streaming on Spotify around the time of RSD but it looks like it's been pulled. There are still a couple sample tracks available, though...

Speaking of The Mars Hotel, I’ll probably get some blow back for this but I’ve never been a fan of Loose Lucy. Seen it live a few times with different variations and I’m always ready for the next song. If it can get jammin, then I can get into it but just not my cup of tea 😏

I've often heard/read people giving Donna Jean a hard time about her wails in some of the Dead songs, mostly Playin' In The Band. I've personally never had a problem with her and thought that they were a great addition most of the time. Don't get me wrong, her voice can be jarring at times, especially when you're coming out of a particularly spacey post-jam haze, but in the end I feel that it adds more to the song than subtracts from it.

I don't think this person feels the same way. They mashed together a bunch of wails from Playin' In The Band. I thought it was funny and entertaining and wanted to share.

Here's one of the things I used early on in my relationship to get the lady to come around to Jerry. I've always just loved the solo here.

Things sure have changed in 13 years. I was talking about picking up the 4LP White Album and she asked if we shouldn't be buying that MoFI Shady Grove first. She was convinced that she hated the Dead when we first met. The Beatles are her favorite band.

If you like the Warfield RSD release, listen to Reckoning. Same shows.

Also, get a copy of Jerry's Oregon State Pen show. I had a post with a DL of it on my website, but I guess it expired. I'll have to reupload it
Is that the Lonesome Prison blues? If so does yours have something crazy going on with the vocals about a 1/4 way through that evetuially clears up? Sounds like a blown mic or PA speakers.

Any other Audiophile Deadheads?

Here's my MoFi Grateful Dead collection (and Blues for Allah should be announced soon-ish)
View attachment 544View attachment 618
I have the American Beauty with the blue top. What's the difference in that and the black top? I really need to get that Workingman's. That was my first Dead album and certainly needs replacing

I've often heard/read people giving Donna Jean a hard time about her wails in some of the Dead songs, mostly Playin' In The Band. I've personally never had a problem with her and thought that they were a great addition most of the time. Don't get me wrong, her voice can be jarring at times, especially when you're coming out of a particularly spacey post-jam haze, but in the end I feel that it adds more to the song than subtracts from it.

I don't think this person feels the same way. They mashed together a bunch of wails from Playin' In The Band. I thought it was funny and entertaining and wanted to share.

I love Donna although her Yeaaayyeaasyaeaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa! in “Playin’ in the Band” can be quite jarring at times. I could not do without her beautiful woo’s in most Scarlet -> Fire transitions before her gleaming the band.

I also love her backing vocals as it adds a nice feminine quality to the Dead’s music.

Same show, but I don't have the vinyl. It's been a while since I've listened to it
I've got the record, it's a bootleg. Pretty sure it's just recorded from the tape. I haven't listened to the tape since getting the record, but I faintly remembering the tape recording having the same issue.

I love Donna although her Yeaaayyeaasyaeaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa! in “Playin’ in the Band” can be quite jarring at times. I could not do without her beautiful woo’s in most Scarlet -> Fire transitions before her gleaming the band.

I also love her backing vocals as it adds a nice feminine quality to the Dead’s music.
Whooooaoaoaoa Whooooaaaaaa. Fuck outta here with that shit. hahaha.

Donna or Brent? Cause he could hit most of those same notes.

Back