The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

surprisingly though, doesn't sound too bad...just want clarification... i contacted seller (moviemars...i know they suck i shouldve known)
Whatever it is it likely was manufactured in 2019 or after due to the updated Warner Records logo. But yeah, I can't find anything anywhere on it. Doesn't appear to be Rhino though either way.

Whatever it is it likely was manufactured in 2019 or after due to the updated Warner Records logo. But yeah, I can't find anything anywhere on it. Doesn't appear to be Rhino though either way.
the upc code is off too...instead 081227978198, its 0081227978198, and upc is on back, not front like pictured in cogs

interesting...but i'm stilll perplexed if it's supposed to be a 2011 reissue ;)

Yeah, no idea there. Must be seller’s mistake - probably didn’t see an updated Cogs listing and just picked the closest one.

If Jerry was alive today, he'd say, stop stressing about what discogs says and let your ears be the judge. Ha ha. ;). If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Though it looks like you have some homework for tonight. You've been chosen to upload a new entry for American Beauty on discogs. :)

If Jerry was alive today, he'd say, stop stressing about what discogs says and let your ears be the judge. Ha ha. ;). If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Though it looks like you have some homework for tonight. You've been chosen to upload a new entry for American Beauty on discogs. :)
i choo choo choose to not do a cogs entry:)

How’s the 2lp Warfield set sound?
Pretty damn enjoyable. I'd say it's on par with (at the top end of) most of the GD archival vinyl releases from the past few years. You won't regret it sonically. It is a little duplicative if you have Reckoning and aren't a diehard acoustic Dead fan.

Pretty damn enjoyable. I'd say it's on par with (at the top end of) most of the GD archival vinyl releases from the past few years. You won't regret it sonically. It is a little duplicative if you have Reckoning and aren't a diehard acoustic Dead fan.
I did just get reckoning but haven’t listened to it yet...are majority of warfieid on reckoning then?

I did just get reckoning but haven’t listened to it yet...are majority of warfieid on reckoning then?
They're from the same series of shows (the October 1980 theatre runs in San Francisco and New York) and the track lists have some significant overlap.

Normally with the Dead that isn't an issue, but my opinion is that there isn't as much variance in the acoustic sets of 1980, as excellent as they are, as is normally present in an electric set.

I think Warfield is more interesting because it shows the songs within context of an actual show, whereas Reckoning is strong because it is essentially a "greatest hits" of the acoustic sets from the aforementioned October 1980 run.

Finished up Long Strange Trip tonight. I really enjoyed it. Even after all this time, it made me appreciate them even more. I’m a little surprised that the merchandising wasn’t brought up. Did anyone feel like there could have been more added?
My fandom didn’t come along until 1991. I was 19. 1 year out of high school. 3 years removed from my hair metal past and fully entrenched in the “alternative” scene. I had already heard about the Grateful Dead because my mom was a fan and seen them several times. Of course I rebelled because that’s what young kids do. Called them old washed up hippies. Then in ‘91 I had a roommate from the east coast who was a huge head and well, he convinced me to get on the bus and hit the road. I was living in Florida at the time. We drove up to Atlanta for 2 shows at the old Omni and then 1 show in Orlando on the way home. I was instantly attracted to the communal aspect of the experience and then I became a fan. I saw them several more times in ‘94 and ‘95 after I moved to Las Vegas and then Jerry said goodbye. I haven’t been to any incarnation of what’s left although after watching LST, I MIGHT consider a Dead & Co. show.
I’ve been going back and listening to their studio albums in order. It’s been a fun ride.

Finished up Long Strange Trip tonight. I really enjoyed it. Even after all this time, it made me appreciate them even more. I’m a little surprised that the merchandising wasn’t brought up. Did anyone feel like there could have been more added?
My fandom didn’t come along until 1991. I was 19. 1 year out of high school. 3 years removed from my hair metal past and fully entrenched in the “alternative” scene. I had already heard about the Grateful Dead because my mom was a fan and seen them several times. Of course I rebelled because that’s what young kids do. Called them old washed up hippies. Then in ‘91 I had a roommate from the east coast who was a huge head and well, he convinced me to get on the bus and hit the road. I was living in Florida at the time. We drove up to Atlanta for 2 shows at the old Omni and then 1 show in Orlando on the way home. I was instantly attracted to the communal aspect of the experience and then I became a fan. I saw them several more times in ‘94 and ‘95 after I moved to Las Vegas and then Jerry said goodbye. I haven’t been to any incarnation of what’s left although after watching LST, I MIGHT consider a Dead & Co. show.
I’ve been going back and listening to their studio albums in order. It’s been a fun ride.
Thats the amazing thing about this band, a several hour documentary only scratches the surface. Large periods of time and quite a few band members were only briefly discussed or not at all.

I'm too young to have seen the Grateful Dead, my first concert of any sort was 1998. I've seen Dead and Company 3 times and had a wonderful experience every time. Definitely a nice mix of old and new in the scene. I saw Joe Russo's Almost Dead once as well and the scene was even more organic there (and the improvisational aspects were more exciting). So I'd recommend getting out and going once everything is back to some semblance of normal.

Not sure if this has been posted here:

Not sure if this has been posted here:

Would love to have the vinyl, but the book looks like it will kind of suck to be honest and I don’t want to drop 100 bones on 1 LP.

Back