The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

Has anybody read the Bad Religion book, Do What You Want? It came out last year and explains the bands history pretty well. It helped explain both their perspective and took an objective look into why punk "purists" are not that big on them. It's a good read if you're into the group at all.

Punk has been in my blood from the time I could remember and my mom was a punker when she had me at 19. When I was about 11 I found my mom's cassette tapes and happened upon the Violent Femmes s/t. Prior to that the only types of cassette I had were hand-me-downs of Michael Jackson, Madonna, MC Hammer, etc.

The day I found that Femmes cassette I don't think I ever played that Madonna or MJ one again and shortly after that I spent my first bit of allowance money on my own cassettes. That day I picked up three albums that I still hold very near and dear. Rancid- Salvation, Bad Religion- Recipe for Hate, Social Distortion- Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell.

Last edited:
Has anybody read the Bad Religion book, Do What You Want? It came out last year and explains the bands history pretty well. It helped explain both their perspective and took an objective look into why punk "purists" are not that big on them. It's a good read if you're into the group at all.

Ooooh! I was interested, then forgot entirely it was coming out. Thanks for the reminder and recommendation. It's on my sooner-than-later list now.

[edit: ordered!]

Last edited:
Poly Styrene: I am a Cliche.
A documentary on the lead singer of X-ray Spex is the tragic but compelling story of a woman ahead of her time who's legacy is just now being appreciated.
From a personal standpoint, I have listened to a lot of punk from that era of the late '70's but for some reason never listened to her music. What a woman! Intelligent, sensitive, beautiful, soulful but ultimately defeated by circumstance.
The movie has stunning cinematography and a great soundtrack with narration provided by her daughter.
There is so much more I could add about this remarkable woman but ultimately i can't wait for tomorrow and dive down the rabbit hole of X-ray Spex and Poly Styrene!

Poly Styrene: I am a Cliche.
A documentary on the lead singer of X-ray Spex is the tragic but compelling story of a woman ahead of her time who's legacy is just now being appreciated.
From a personal standpoint, I have listened to a lot of punk from that era of the late '70's but for some reason never listened to her music. What a woman! Intelligent, sensitive, beautiful, soulful but ultimately defeated by circumstance.
The movie has stunning cinematography and a great soundtrack with narration provided by her daughter.
There is so much more I could add about this remarkable woman but ultimately i can't wait for tomorrow and dive down the rabbit hole of X-ray Spex and Poly Styrene!

So I’ve been listening to the White Lung album, why is this punk instead of metal?

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I listened to a couple songs by an artist named White Lung. Reminds me a lot of Rise Against. So punk in a generic commercial sort of way.

But I'll be damned if the line between punk and lots of other genres isn't thin af. There are those clearly punk groups and those that are questionable or fringe. Ultimately it's up to how YOU want to identify them. I love me some underproduced punk but I also love some borderline new wave shit too.

If Talking Heads was mentioned in here, I would'nt bat an eye.

Last edited:
Awesome link!
Checking prices for vinyl and 😲😠.
Of course, Spotify only has one live album although I gotta say, it rocks.
Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a copy of Germfree Adolescent. I wasn't expecting their discography to be so thin quite honestly.

Awesome link!
Checking prices for vinyl and 😲😠.
Of course, Spotify only has one live album although I gotta say, it rocks.
Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a copy of Germfree Adolescent. I wasn't expecting their discography to be so thin quite honestly.

Prices for this one isn't too bad on Discogs.

It sounds OK. I don't have another to compare it to, but I wasn't unhappy with it. It's the one a lot of us got here when that AoTM went up...as it was what was available at the time.

I got an OP of Germfree in 2016 before the reissues started. That always happens to me.

Thanks for the input folks. I'm gonna wait and see. It's hard to find a seller on Discogs that accepts anything other than Paypal and I don't use them since my account got hacked and money was stolen from my checking account.
If anyone on here is open to a trade maybe we could work something out.

Thanks for the input folks. I'm gonna wait and see. It's hard to find a seller on Discogs that accepts anything other than Paypal and I don't use them since my account got hacked and money was stolen from my checking account.
If anyone on here is open to a trade maybe we could work something out.
This place appears to have the clear one:

RSD reissue alert

The Catatonics were Syracuse and Central New York’s first hardcore punk band. They pioneered the original 1981/1982 Syracuse hardcore scene, and their classic Hunted Down EP is considered one of the first hardcore thrash/metal crossover releases, right up there with records from COC or DRI. It remains a sought after (and pricey) collector’s item 30+ years after its release. Often compared to Jerry's Kids, SSD, Negative Approach and even Slayer, The Catatonics weren't followers or imitators, more like period contemporaries. Although the wait has been decades in the making, Southern Lord Records will soon be reissuing Hunted Down as a 12” vinyl release with bonus tracks for Record Store Day 2022!

Back