The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

When I was going to a lot of punk shows as a teenager these were my favorite live acts. The Queers are pretty solidly at the top.

The Queers
Link 80 (only heard live recordings, never got to see)
Knowledge
Misfits
Pinhead Circus
Anti-Flag
Bad Religion
Lagwagon
Black Flag
Ramones
Against All Authority
Jack Off Jill
when i lived in Santa Barbara i went to see the queers supporting Hard-ons. My 6oish firnd and landlord John had fun all week telling everyone that i spent my nights watching queers with hard-ons

Entertainment! is top-tier music. I can't even put it into a genre that fits.
Hate to use the term 'one hit wonder' but they could have stopped making music after Entertainment and still defined angular indie music for several generations. Those early eps are amazing as well. For all the pallid imitators over the years, none of them come close to G0f4s ferocity.

So, if i had to name my one favourite british punk band it´s not the Clash, sex pistols, the damned or... but Leatherface. The others are more important in the course of music but the one -two punch of Mush and Minx from 91 and 92, respectively are two of my all-time favourite albums. They are a band it took me some time to get into . They are named after a horror movie killer. They have fast, loud and abrasive guitars courtesy of Dickie Hammond and the raspy growl of Frankie Stubbs but behind that they have melodies and hooks and a melancholy and even tenderness in the lyrics that make them really special to me. ( "All i can do is try my best for you with all my indecisions" from not superstious or "There's a little bit of springtime in the back of my mind remembers when there was a time when we danced and we laughed" does not sound like punk lyrics at all.)
Also, their cover versions from talking bout a revolution, message in a bottle, true colours or can´t help falling in love were never done with the usual punk irony of playing a pop song fast, loud and snotty, although they played them fast and loud.

Frabkie Stubbs played a couple of these songs acoustic in some eps and you can also find some live videos of those and it shows how great these songs hold up in taht setting.

So, if i had to name my one favourite british punk band it´s not the Clash, sex pistols, the damned or... but Leatherface. The others are more important in the course of music but the one -two punch of Mush and Minx from 91 and 92, respectively are two of my all-time favourite albums. They are a band it took me some time to get into . They are named after a horror movie killer. They have fast, loud and abrasive guitars courtesy of Dickie Hammond and the raspy growl of Frankie Stubbs but behind that they have melodies and hooks and a melancholy and even tenderness in the lyrics that make them really special to me. ( "All i can do is try my best for you with all my indecisions" from not superstious or "There's a little bit of springtime in the back of my mind remembers when there was a time when we danced and we laughed" does not sound like punk lyrics at all.)
Also, their cover versions from talking bout a revolution, message in a bottle, true colours or can´t help falling in love were never done with the usual punk irony of playing a pop song fast, loud and snotty, although they played them fast and loud.

Frabkie Stubbs played a couple of these songs acoustic in some eps and you can also find some live videos of those and it shows how great these songs hold up in taht setting.
For me SNUFF was also in a similar spot as Leatherface, though a little less rough or abrasive. I have this song on 7" and still throw it on frequently.

I honestly do not know what to make of the song Mongoloid. I've read that some took issue with it and the band maintains it is making fun of normal people who make fun of people with Downs, but it all seems in bad taste to me. It is a catchy song and a hell of a statement as a first single. Also finally getting around to listening to the live stuff on the deluxe version of Are We Not Men? now and its less punk than the album. There goes that theory. I will say that they sound more punk (at least on this first album) than other new wave acts I am familiar it. It is not a far leap from Are We Not Men to Combat Rock!

1645023456749.png
Fancy books aren't very punk, but a fancy book about Joe Strummer? You be the judge.

Last edited:
I love playing the game with these lists of how many I own on vinyl. I have all of the top 20, and 28/40 overall. That gives me 12 albums to check out!

I own ten altogether, only six on vinyl.
I own 14 on vinyl.

I feel like Wipers - “Is This Real” needs to be on a best punk albums list. Certainly above Green Day or Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
I have to agree with @LeeVing that not putting FEAR The Record on this list is just criminal. When I saw them, I was a young lady and one of the guys that pushed me to the front told me “you’re in for a treat. FEAR is the granddaddy of punk”. Personally, I am sad for no Bad Religion and no NoFX. And also wonder if they considered any ska acts?
When I was going to a lot of punk shows as a teenager these were my favorite live acts. The Queers are pretty solidly at the top.

The Queers
Link 80 (only heard live recordings, never got to see)
Knowledge
Misfits
Pinhead Circus
Anti-Flag
Bad Religion
Lagwagon
Black Flag
Ramones
Against All Authority
Jack Off Jill
I’ve seen the Queers at a community center in Mississippi. They were stellar. I have also seen Anti-Flag at the 2001 Warped Tour. Mighty Bosstones, Bad Religion we’re there too. I finally got to see Rancid a few years ago at the House of Blues. Bratmobile and The Donnas was an amazing show. I got to see Pansy Division which was another really fun show. Queercore is some of my favorite punk. I got to see Mike Ness a few years ago at the HoB, but I would have loved to see Social D in their heyday.

I own 14 on vinyl.

I have to agree with @LeeVing that not putting FEAR The Record on this list is just criminal. When I saw them, I was a young lady and one of the guys that pushed me to the front told me “you’re in for a treat. FEAR is the granddaddy of punk”. Personally, I am sad for no Bad Religion and no NoFX. And also wonder if they considered any ska acts?

I’ve seen the Queers at a community center in Mississippi. They were stellar. I have also seen Anti-Flag at the 2001 Warped Tour. Mighty Bosstones, Bad Religion we’re there too. I finally got to see Rancid a few years ago at the House of Blues. Bratmobile and The Donnas was an amazing show. I got to see Pansy Division which was another really fun show. Queercore is some of my favorite punk. I got to see Mike Ness a few years ago at the HoB, but I would have loved to see Social D in their heyday.
I never saw Social D play, but I did get to meet them in the early 2000s at a very short lived Vans Skate Park in Colorado. I couldn't skate worth a shit but I went because the radio announced that they were making an appearance and I completely forgot to bring any of my CDs for them to sign.

I never saw Social D play, but I did get to meet them in the early 2000s at a very short lived Vans Skate Park in Colorado. I couldn't skate worth a shit but I went because the radio announced that they were making an appearance and I completely forgot to bring any of my CDs for them to sign.
First time I saw them was maybe a year or two before Dennis Danell passed away. It was at a festival in downtown San Diego. Two memories that stick with me.

1) Losing a birkenstock in the mosh pit. Wearing those was probably not the best idea in retrospect.
2) A kid looking at me and saying "You like Social Distortion? You're Old!". This was 30 years ago, when I was in my 20's. I wonder if that kid still listens to them. I sure do.

Last edited:
Dirty hippy!!

So I was buying my daughter a pair of Doc Martens a few weeks ago, and they had these in the clearance section for $129. I offered them $20 thinking it would be a much more sensible pair of footwear for crossing boundaries at shows, but the shop owner turned me down. My daughter was also thrilled that they turned down my offer.

1645051025297.png

Back