The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

This may belong in hot takes but it's an opinion I've held since being a teenager; Combat Rock is a sell out album, pure commercial, mainstream appeal, and I hate it and all the songs on it. The Clash had let their success undermine their root ethos by this point. All the preceding albums are fine, tho.

That RS list is pretty much everything you would expect in it. Thankfully not much Green Day/Blink etc. But damn, even with Ad Blocker turned on that page was batting down popups like whack a mole.

What I always find interesting is where the lines get blurry between punk and post-punk, since in a lot of ways the seeds of post-punk were planted even before punk.

Extended trailer for "Rip it up and start again" doc

That RS list is pretty much everything you would expect in it. Thankfully not much Green Day/Blink etc. But damn, even with Ad Blocker turned on that page was batting down popups like whack a mole.

What I always find interesting is where the lines get blurry between punk and post-punk, since in a lot of ways the seeds of post-punk were planted even before punk.

Extended trailer for "Rip it up and start again" doc

It’s a very blurry line in general, especially as it’s felt more like an idea than a strong set of musical lines in the sand. Then given that so many of the punks kinda then became driving lights of the post punk era. Then with bands like Wire who sorta got bored of punk 3 songs into Pink Flag and started doing Post Punk stuff. Then you have the likes of Joy Division who were the total embodiment of bratty punks but happened to run into the genius that was Martin Hannett.

This may belong in hot takes but it's an opinion I've held since being a teenager; Combat Rock is a sell out album, pure commercial, mainstream appeal, and I hate it and all the songs on it. The Clash had let their success undermine their root ethos by this point. All the preceding albums are fine, tho.
I respectively disagree, Bands progress creatively, musically, through songwriting and the times as Chrissy Hynde mentions. I love the early Clash albums right up onto Sandinista because of this.

I didn't make it further than a couple of titles into the list. That page was insufferable!
40. Dead Kennedys, 'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables' (1980)
39. Devo, 'Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!' (1978)
38. White Lung, 'Deep Fantasy' (2014)
37. Blink-182, 'Enema of the State' (1999)
36. Crass, 'Penis Envy' (1981)
35. Fugazi, '13 Songs' (1989)
34. Joy Division, 'Unknown Pleasures' (1979)
33. The Slits, 'Cut' (1979)
32. The Misfits, 'Walk Among Us' (1982)
31. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, 'Fever to Tell' (2003)
30. Sonic Youth, 'Evol' (1986)
29. The Replacements, 'Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash' (1981)
28. The Germs, '(GI)' (1979)
27. Minor Threat, 'Complete Discography' (1989)
26. Flipper, 'Generic' (1982)
25. Mission of Burma, 'Vs.' (1982)
24. The Jam, 'All Mod Cons' (1978)
23. Pere Ubu, 'Terminal Tower' (1985)
22. Bikini Kill, 'The Singles' (1998)
21. Richard Hell and the Voidoids, 'Blank Generation' (1977)
20. X-Ray Spex, 'Germfree Adolescents' (1978)
19. Bad Brains, 'Bad Brains' (1982)
18. Green Day, 'Dookie' (1994)
17. Television, 'Marquee Moon' (1977)
16. Descendents, 'Milo Goes to College' (1982)
15. New York Dolls, 'New York Dolls' (1973)
14. Sleater-Kinney, 'Dig Me Out' (1997)
13. Hüsker Dü, 'Zen Arcade' (1984)
12. Patti Smith, 'Horses' (1975)
11. The Buzzcocks, 'Singles Going Steady' (1979)
10. Nirvana, 'Nevermind' (1991)
9. X, 'Los Angeles' (1980)
8. Black Flag, 'Damaged' (1981)
7. Minutemen, 'Double Nickels on the Dime' (1984)
6. Wire, 'Pink Flag' (1977)
5. Gang of Four, 'Entertainment!' (1979)
4. The Stooges, 'Funhouse' (1970)
3. The Sex Pistols, 'Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols' (1977)
2. The Clash, 'The Clash' (1977)
1. Ramones, 'Ramones' (1976)

Full of great albums but some of those are weird fits and seems unnecessary to throw in some proto-punk, post punk and art rock albums but leave off others. Sorely missing Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F., Meat Puppets - II and at least one of the first three Wipers albums imo.

I think I counted that I have 22 of the 40 on that list.

Some are compilations that really shouldn't be on a list like this.

I count my copy of Minor Threat as that CD-only 'Complete Discography' compilation

EDIT:

I didn't really notice it was a Rolling Stone list - that makes a lot more sense with some of these bands being in the top 40....or being considered "punk"

Last edited:
It's a shame FEAR isn't on this list at all - The Record is much more punk than All Mod Cons.
While I love The Jam and PW, I would never put All Mod Cons on the list. Paul Weller is a singer/songwriter out of the Ray Davies mould and I guess he strived for artistic freedom while making records, but who doesn't? (excluding corporate whore$)

While I love The Jam and PW, I would never put All Mod Cons on the list. Paul Weller is a singer/songwriter out of the Ray Davies mould and I guess he strived for artistic freedom while making records, but who doesn't? (excluding corporate whore$)

I think it was timing more than anything with The Jam, plus that old chestnut of music writers feeling the need to label everything in a box, even if it doesn’t quite fit.

Back