The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

I just.... boycotting a team because of a head coach that's never had a losing record.

There's not a single other coach outside of Belichick that's been as good since Tomlin's been hired, and I can't think of more than 5 coaches I'd take over him at this moment.

The Steelers as a franchise are literally as good as it gets for any fandom outside of the Brady/Belichick Pats in the salary cap era.

Agreed. As a Washington Football Team fan, who have gone through many coaches (some terrible, some good ones who weren't given enough time), I appreciate the Rooney's loyalty to their coaches and giving them time. I'm hoping we're starting to go down that road now with Rivera, but we'll see.

I just.... boycotting a team because of a head coach that's never had a losing record.

There's not a single other coach outside of Belichick that's been as good since Tomlin's been hired, and I can't think of more than 5 coaches I'd take over him at this moment.

The Steelers as a franchise are literally as good as it gets for any fandom outside of the Brady/Belichick Pats in the salary cap era.
Yeah, I don't understand it either. I see Tomlin kind of different from the likes of Marty Schottenheimer and Marvin Lewis, who would always make the playoffs but couldn't get over the hump. Tomlin has actually won the Super Bowl. Granted that was over 10 years ago, but he's proven he can do it. He just happened to be unlucky to be coaching in an era where you gotta get through Manning & Brady to even get to the Super Bowl.

As a Chiefs fan, even before Andy won the Super Bowl last year, I wouldn't have traded him for any coach. There were some lean, miserable years before he came to KC. Sure there was doubt whether he could actually win a Super Bowl based on his history in Philly & 6 years of absolutely mind-boggling, heartbreaking playoff exits in KC. But the stability he brought and brings every year, and honestly what he was able to pull out of the team in his first 2-3 years before he could re-build the roster his way is unbelievable.

It's really hard to win a Super Bowl without a top 5 QB. It gets a little harder when that top 5 QB is no longer on their rookie contract (Mahomes cap hit is $5.3M this year, lol). And it gets even harder when that QB gets paid market rate instead of the team circumventing the salary cap by directly paying a business that QB owns.

He was great at one point definitely, but idk, the last decade has felt like nothing but wheel spinning. Start the season off strong, play down to 2-11 teams, lose, rely desperately on a wild card berth, and some other team losing to make the playoffs, lose the first round. If we're even good enough to make it to the playoffs at all. Getting pretty old. I would say that Ben should've been gone long before Tomlin though.
If you spent the last decade a multiple shitty head coaches and multiple seasons of not make the playoffs you would perhaps look at the Steelers situation differently. The grass is not always greener as the vast majority of NFL team fandoms would testify to. Would you rather be a perineal 4 to 8 win team? The wrong HC could start you down that path.

Tomlin has the same record as Bill Cowher in the Super Bowl (1-1). I would also argue the more opportunities to make the playoffs the more opportunities you have to win the Super Bowl and if you eliminate The Patriots you would be hard pressed to find a team that has been as consistently “in the hunt” over the last 20 years.

Tomlin has the same record as Bill Cowher in the Super Bowl (1-1). I would also argue the more opportunities to make the playoffs the more opportunities you have to win the Super Bowl and if you eliminate The Patriots you would be hard pressed to find a team that has been as consistently “in the hunt” over the last 20 years.
One could argue that the 1 win was Cowher's team with Tomlin at the helm.
And as I said, the Rooneys are frustratingly loyal.

Last edited:

When you get the same results over and over again, it becomes very easy. Why should I waste my time watching a team that's going to get consistently outplayed and or outcoached? The loss against the Bengals is a perfect example of the Tomlin era. They had a chance to clinch the division but of course they blew it. There is always an excuse that gets him off the hook. Oh it's the offensive coordinator. Wait it's the defensive coordinator. Hold up, it's the aging quarterback. At what point does this head coach get the blame?
As I've said previously, I can not argue that he is a GOOD regular season coach, but that isn't his end goal.

And maybe the Steelers organization in general is complacent with regular season success and some losing seasons will make them hungry again. Maybe they could get some pointers from the Penguins :cool:

When you get the same results over and over again, it becomes very easy. Why should I waste my time watching a team that's going to get consistently outplayed and or outcoached? The loss against the Bengals is a perfect example of the Tomlin era. They had a chance to clinch the division but of course they blew it. There is always an excuse that gets him off the hook. Oh it's the offensive coordinator. Wait it's the defensive coordinator. Hold up, it's the aging quarterback. At what point does this head coach get the blame?
As I've said previously, I can not argue that he is a GOOD regular season coach, but that isn't his end goal.
IDK to me this is like saying what's the point of rooting for 31 teams because only one wins the Super Bowl. I have no problems with checking out on being a fan of a team, it's just sports, but if this is the standard you hold an NFL franchise to, you'd probably be boycotting every single one of them.

IDK to me this is like saying what's the point of rooting for 31 teams because only one wins the Super Bowl. I have no problems with checking out on being a fan of a team, it's just sports, but if this is the standard you hold an NFL franchise to, you'd probably be boycotting every single one of them.
Agreed. @Ginormousthumbs You’re very lucky to have not been cursed with being a Bears fan. If you look up 8-8 in the dictionary you find a photo of Staley.

I don't have a problem cutting sports out of my life. I used to love to watch the big "4". Stopped watching baseball because the Pirates are miserable. And I stopped watching basketball because, well I just didn't enjoy it anymore. That left me with football and hockey. I'll be honest, I don't miss the constant commercials and being glued to my tv the entire Sunday.

I don't have a problem cutting sports out of my life. I used to love to watch the big "4". Stopped watching baseball because the Pirates are miserable. And I stopped watching basketball because, well I just didn't enjoy it anymore. That left me with football and hockey. I'll be honest, I don't miss the constant commercials and being glued to my tv the entire Sunday.
I wish I could display this healthy and normal behavior

Back