The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

Bears traded Justin Fields to the Steelers for a 5th round pick in 2025 that goes to a 4th round pick based on playtime. The Caleb Williams era has begun.

Bears traded Justin Fields to the Steelers for a 5th round pick in 2025 that goes to a 4th round pick based on playtime. The Caleb Williams era has begun.
YES! Everyone was panicking on Bears social media that they wouldn’t get anything for him, that they had missed their boat but a 5th (conditional 4th) seems good to me. Mac Jones only got a 6th rounder.

Also, I was a big Fields fan so I am thrilled for him as well. He gets to go to a competent organization with a real chance to compete for a starting spot if Russell falters. Now all we need is for The Vikings to move up to grab a QB in front of us and we might have a shot at Odunze.

YES! Everyone was panicking on Bears social media that they wouldn’t get anything for him, that they had missed their boat but a 5th (conditional 4th) seems good to me. Mac Jones only got a 6th rounder.

Also, I was a big Fields fan so I am thrilled for him as well. He gets to go to a competent organization with a real chance to compete for a starting spot if Russell falters. Now all we need is for The Vikings to move up to grab a QB in front of us and we might have a shot at Odunze.
I imagine the Eagles offered similar to what they traded for Pickett, a bunch of swaps that ended up being the equivalent of a 5th rd pick. Maybe the Bears preferred to get something for 2025 or they asked Fields where he wanted to go. Have to figure he'll have a faster opportunity to start with Wilson on a 1 year deal.

I imagine the Eagles offered similar to what they traded for Pickett, a bunch of swaps that ended up being the equivalent of a 5th rd pick. Maybe the Bears preferred to get something for 2025 or they asked Fields where he wanted to go. Have to figure he'll have a faster opportunity to start with Wilson on a 1 year deal.
Between the two I think The Steelers went the right way, Pickett sounds like he was a bit much. Fields is a team first guy and is well loved wherever he goes. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if by the the end of next season if Russell is already forgotten and Fields is leading the Steelers on a playoff run.

Between the two I think The Steelers went the right way, Pickett sounds like he was a bit much. Fields is a team first guy and is well loved wherever he goes. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if by the the end of next season if Russell is already forgotten and Fields is leading the Steelers on a playoff run.
My question is, why didn't the Bears hold on to Fields while still on his first contract? Most rookie QBs could use a year on the bench. Plus if some other team got in QB trouble during the season the offer might have been sweeter.

My question is, why didn't the Bears hold on to Fields while still on his first contract? Most rookie QBs could use a year on the bench. Plus if some other team got in QB trouble during the season the offer might have been sweeter.
That would be the ideal situation if we were drafting a QB in the late first or 2nd but with them drafting a QB with the first pick you are making thing more difficult behind-the-scenes. This is the right thing to do for both Fields and Caleb. Neither will be looking over their shoulder if they have a bad game. Caleb needs to get an honest shot to succeed and that would be more difficult if Fields stayed in the picture.

That would be the ideal situation if we were drafting a QB in the late first or 2nd but with them drafting a QB with the first pick you are making thing more difficult behind-the-scenes. This is the right thing to do for both Fields and Caleb. Neither will be looking over their shoulder if they have a bad game. Caleb needs to get an honest shot to succeed and that would be more difficult if Fields stayed in the picture.
That's a lotta eggs in the Caleb basket.

That's a lotta eggs in the Caleb basket.
Caleb is set up for success. The Bears were not complete garbage last season, they were 7-10 and if you may recall, they blew a number of late leads that, could’ve went the other way had Fields not been strip sacked or thrown a pick. So while they still weren’t a playoff team by any stretch they weren’t a total disaster. Now the Bears have made upgraded at RB, WR, and OL. Their Defense was one of their strengths last season and they still have the number 9 pick in this draft that has lots of WR and OT talent that, depending on how many QBs are drafted from 1-8, they should be able to get either Nabors or Oduze or Alt or Fuaga or Bowers to help Caleb out even further. Being a lifelong Bears fan, I know they could easily blow it but for right now in mid March, hope springs eternal.

Caleb is set up for success. The Bears were not complete garbage last season, they were 7-10 and if you may recall, they blew a number of late leads that, could’ve went the other way had Fields not been strip sacked or thrown a pick. So while they still weren’t a playoff team by any stretch they weren’t a total disaster. Now the Bears have made upgraded at RB, WR, and OL. Their Defense was one of their strengths last season and they still have the number 9 pick in this draft that has lots of WR and OT talent that, depending on how many QBs are drafted from 1-8, they should be able to get either Nabors or Oduze or Alt or Fuaga or Bowers to help Caleb out even further. Being a lifelong Bears fan, I know they could easily blow it but for right now in mid March, hope springs eternal.
Yep, I agree that the Bears weren't junk last year. I guess my point is that so often we see rookie QBs fail when thrown into immediate/early duty. It seems for every Peyton Manning there's two Ryan Leafs. But it does seem like Caleb is nearing bust-proof status, and I don't hear anyone positing that Bears will take JJ or Maye...so he is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the 2024 crop of QBs.

Yep, I agree that the Bears weren't junk last year. I guess my point is that so often we see rookie QBs fail when thrown into immediate/early duty. It seems for every Peyton Manning there's two Ryan Leafs. But it does seem like Caleb is nearing bust-proof status, and I don't hear anyone positing that Bears will take JJ or Maye...so he is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the 2024 crop of QBs.
Completely agree. I feel like this is the way the league is trending though. Basically you draft a QB and then Have Their rookie contract to decide if the QB is elite and then to put together a championship team around them before you have to pay the QB. Maybe Caleb isn't Mahomes or Burrows or Allen or Stroud but but Fields was definitely not elite. So you reset the clock and roll the dice again. If Caleb is a disaster or even mediocre chance are good we will be trying to figure this out again here soon. All things being equal at least I am not a Browns fan.

This Cam Sutton (Lions CB) story is kind of weird. There has been a warrant out for two weeks now. For awhile he was thought to be missing or maybe even dead, but this morning his plate turned up in Florida. The charge is aggravated assault (apparently by choking) a woman he knows. I always try not to jump to thinking a person is guilty based on a report, but going on the lam certainly doesn't help his cause.

Back