The February Record Spin Challenge - It's All Connected, Maaaannnnn

Day 24. Play something in a different format (physical or digital) than yesterday’s pick.

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
View attachment 168015

Let’s keep the Hip-Hop Tape party going this Friday Night!

Day 25. Play an album that’s more of a crowd-pleaser than yesterday’s.

The Roots - Things Fall Apart
5A2BDA7C-904C-41B7-A15C-D7518B30BD79.jpeg

Things Fall Apart was The Roots breakthrough record and probably a bit more crowd pleasing than Illadelph Halflife.

23. Play something that uses rhythm in a similar way to yesterday’s album.

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

"Ice Hockey Hair" has the beat of a classic rock power ballad, so I'm going to play another Creation Records band that sometimes melded 90s fuzz with the steady beat of a power ballad...

img_20220416_132200101-jpg.136607

Day 25. Play an album that’s more of a crowd-pleaser than yesterday’s.

The Roots - Things Fall Apart
View attachment 168122

Things Fall Apart was The Roots breakthrough record and probably a bit more crowd pleasing than Illadelph Halflife.

Day 26. Play an album that wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with yesterday’s album.
Since I am of the belief that literally everyone wants to hang out with Questlove, I am gonna have to invoke my Wildcard…
421DC80A-FB9F-4851-9AB1-F35BF44390B4.gif
So instead I am gonna go with this…

John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer
3278646C-08A5-44E1-9DBC-4AA99E365D8F.jpeg

26. Play an album that wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with yesterday’s album.

Imamu Amiri Baraka – "It's Nation Time" African Visionary Music
20230226_210549.jpg

I don't rightly know how Baraka would have felt about Kiwanuka - I feel like it may not have been his jam, but he would have had an appreciation for Kiwanuka as a black man. Musically though it's a far cry from Afrocentric free jazz and soul poetry.

Alright... was busy for the last several days. Got 5 days to catch-up. Here we go!

23. Play something that uses rhythm in a similar way to yesterday’s album.

The Strokes "Is This It"
(2001 RCA; 2014 reissue)
I last played the B-52's self-titled, which has a beats-per-minutes that clocks at an average of 148, so it's pretty fast. The Strokes debut also clocks at a pretty fast BPM, averaging at 142 and.

IMG_3475.JPG

26. Play an album that wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with yesterday’s album.

Tracking my connections thus far: Howard Jones --> Drive~By Truckers --> Kraftwerk --> David Bowie --> Muppets --> Debbie Gibson --> Bob Dylan --> Mike Ness --> Os Mutantes --> Tropicalia --> Emerson Lake & Palmer --> Skankin' Pickle --> Rolling Stones --> Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit --> Bob Dylan --> Johnny Cash --> Metallica --> Doobie Brothers --> Linda Ronstadt --> Nick Drake --> John Martyn --> Danny Elfman --> Beatles --> Neil Young & Pearl Jam --> Beastie Boys

I thought I had tracked myself into a corner in that everybody would want to hang out with the Beastie Boys. Then I remembered that they had a early rivalry with 3rd Bass. Some research came up with the track Sons of 3rd Bass off this album, one of the few diss tracks of the Beasties that I'm aware of. (I thought I had derelicts of dialect somewhere on casette, but couldn't find it).

3rd Bass ~ The Cactus Album

1677516583761.png

25. Play an album that’s more of a crowd-pleaser than yesterday’s.

The Tragically Hip "Road Apples"
(1990 MCA; 2021 30th anniversary deluxe edition)
If I was in South Africa, I would be completely snookered by my playing Rodriguez yesterday, as from what I understand nothing is more of a crowd pleaser than Cold Fact over there. But seeing that I'm in Canada, then The Hip are the shit (or the Road Apple if you will).

IMG_3477.JPG

Ry Cooder and Gabriel Salban "Mambo Sinuendo"
(2003 Nonesuch; 2018 reissue)
As Gord sung "And lower me slowly, sadly, and properly. Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy". Unfortunately, he didn't. Would have been appropriate if he had.

IMG_3478.JPG

27. Play something that uses a different language than yesterday’s pick.

Tracking my connections thus far: Howard Jones --> Drive~By Truckers --> Kraftwerk --> David Bowie --> Muppets --> Debbie Gibson --> Bob Dylan --> Mike Ness --> Os Mutantes --> Tropicalia --> Emerson Lake & Palmer --> Skankin' Pickle --> Rolling Stones --> Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit --> Bob Dylan --> Johnny Cash --> Metallica --> Doobie Brothers --> Linda Ronstadt --> Nick Drake --> John Martyn --> Danny Elfman --> Beatles --> Neil Young & Pearl Jam --> Beastie Boys --> 3rd Bass

M'Dou Moctar ~ Afrique Victime

1677529297528.png

Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Fleetwood Mac have become "cool" again with the younsgters due to the ticky tocks and such, but I would say that at the time this came out, the two bands were in such different worlds that they would not have been seen together. (Granted, Fleetwood Mac didn't want to be around each other either!)

IMG_20230227_122312627_HDR.jpg

Back