The February Record Spin Challenge - It's All Connected, Maaaannnnn

LeSamourai

My idea for this month is that every day’s prompt builds in some way on the last’s, in one big month-long chain. Try not to repeat, but feel free to spin a record, play a CD, pop in a cassette, stream it online, whatever keeps the tunes bumping. If you feel stuck, no connection is too tenuous to keep the chain going, and if you have to fudge it a little (or a lot) to make it work, no worries. If you can, explain how each day’s pick makes the connection with the previous day’s. Catch up if you need to, have fun, and all that stuff!

I’ll post these in three chunks, so here’s batch one, with two and three coming soon.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

1. Play an album or song that asks a question.

2. Play something that somehow answers yesterday’s question.

3. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick.

4. Play an album by an artist that would make for an interesting collaboration with yesterday’s artist.

5. Play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with the next pick- find some way in 6 steps or less to connect the musicians involved in today’s album with those on yesterday’s.

6. Play something from the same record label as yesterday, but by a different artist.

7. Play an album with a cover that somehow reminds you of yesterday’s album.

8. Play an album that mixes the genre of yesterday’s album with some other style of music.

9. Play an album that is from the same year as yesterday’s album.

10. Play an album that influenced or was influenced by the artist of yesterday’s album.

Round 2

11. Play an album that does something very different with an instrument used on yesterday’s album.

12. Play an album that was not as popular as yesterday’s pick.

13. Play something by an artist that would disagree with yesterday’s artist about something.

14. Play an album by a band or artist you would like to see open for yesterday’s at a concert.

15. Play a song or album that could be the theme song to an imaginary TV show whose soundtrack would also feature yesterday’s artist.

16. Play an album that someone involved in yesterday’s pick worked on (a musician, producer, artist, mastering, whatever!).

17. Play an album that uses the same color as yesterday’s pick somehow (cover, vinyl, lyrics).

18. Play an album you acquired from the same source, store, or method as yesterday’s pick.

19. Play an album with similar themes to yesterday’s album.

20. Play anything from a different continent than yesterday’s spin.

Last edited:
Round 3

21. Play an album you would recommend to a new fan of yesterday’s artist.

22. Play an album that takes itself less seriously than yesterday’s.

23. Play something that uses rhythm in a similar way to yesterday’s album.

24. Play something in a different format (physical or digital) than yesterday’s pick.

25. Play an album that’s more of a crowd-pleaser than yesterday’s.

26. Play an album that wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with yesterday’s album.

27. Play something that uses a different language than yesterday’s pick.

28. Wild Card 2: this time it’s personal – Make up your own connection to yesterday’s album and spin something, anything that you want.

Last edited:
My idea for this month is that every day’s prompt builds in some way on the last’s, in one big month-long chain. Try not to repeat, but feel free to spin a record, play a CD, pop in a cassette, stream it online, whatever keeps the tunes bumping. If you feel stuck, no connection is too tenuous to keep the chain going, and if you have to fudge it a little (or a lot) to make it work, no worries. If you can, explain how each day’s pick makes the connection with the previous day’s. Catch up if you need to, have fun, and all that stuff!

I’ll post these in three chunks, so here’s batch one, with two and three coming soon.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

3. Play the sonic opposite of yesterday’s pick.

4. Play an album by an artist that would make for an interesting collaboration with yesterday’s artist.

5. Play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with the next pick- find some way in 6 steps or less to connect the musicians involved in today’s album with those on yesterday’s.

6. Play something from the same record label as yesterday, but by a different artist.

7. Play an album with a cover that somehow reminds you of yesterday’s album.

8. Play an album that mixes the genre of yesterday’s album with some other style of music.

9. Play an album that is from the same year as yesterday’s album.

10. Play an album that influenced or was influenced by the artist of yesterday’s album.
Very cool. I had three ideas for my upcoming month, and this is similar to one of them. Looking forward to this!

For this challenge, yes... I made a spreadsheet! lol

Dogs Die In Hot Cars – Please Describe YourselfSongs: Please Describe Yourself and Who Shot the Baby?
The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready To DieBaby on front cover, and Biggie was shot, and songs: Who Shot Ya

PXL_20230202_125011082.jpg

The Pursuit Of Happiness "Love Junk"
(1988 Chrysalis; 2018 reissue)
Yesterday's question basically gave me carte blanche, asking me to answer "Something/Anything?". I decided to keep a connection anyway and spin this late 80's Canadian power pop classic, produced by Todd Rundgren.

IMG_3385.JPG

Back