The February Record Spin Challenge - It's All Connected, Maaaannnnn

27. Play something that uses a different language than yesterday’s pick.

José González - Local Valley

It's got songs in English, but also some in Swedish and Spanish.

img_20220425_172106849_hdr-jpg.143235

28. Wild Card 2: this time it’s personal – Make up your own connection to yesterday’s album and spin something, anything that you want.

Tracking my connections: Howard Jones --> Drive~By Truckers --> Kraftwerk --> David Bowie --> Muppets --> Debbie Gibson --> Bob Dylan --> Mike Ness --> Os Mutantes --> Tropicalia --> Emerson Lake & Palmer --> Skankin' Pickle --> Rolling Stones --> Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit --> Bob Dylan --> Johnny Cash --> Metallica --> Doobie Brothers --> Linda Ronstadt --> Nick Drake --> John Martyn --> Danny Elfman --> Beatles --> Neil Young & Pearl Jam --> Beastie Boys --> 3rd Bass --> Mdou Moctar --> Philip Glass

My choice for Day 28 - Play something you can tie back to @LeSamourai

Mdou Moctar is often compared to Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix is featured on the Watchmen Soundtrack, as are some of the tracks (Pruit Igoe and Prophecies) from this soundtrack, specifically used when Jon Osterman gets turned into Dr. Manhattan. Who is also used as @LeSamourai 's avatar.

Thanks for the fun month!

Philip Glass ~ Koyaanisqatsi

1677605609019.png

Day 26. Play an album that wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with yesterday’s album.
Since I am of the belief that literally everyone wants to hang out with Questlove, I am gonna have to invoke my Wildcard…
View attachment 168147
So instead I am gonna go with this…

John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer
View attachment 168148

Day 27. Play something that uses a different language than yesterday’s pick.

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
60802953-B515-415C-A8CC-CC7376D53290.jpeg

Os Mutantes was one of the best psych rock albums of the 60s. I don’t speak Portuguese but this record is magical regardless.

Last edited:
28. Wild Card 2: this time it’s personal – Make up your own connection to yesterday’s album and spin something, anything that you want.

Play something from the same continent but a different country than yesterday.

Manu Dibango – African Voodoo

20230228_131007.jpg

Angélique Kidjo is from Benin while Manu Dibango is from Camaroon.

Day 27. Play something that uses a different language than yesterday’s pick.
Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
View attachment 168340

Os Mutantes was one of the best psych rock albums of the 60s. I don’t speak Portuguese but this record is magical regardless.

Day 28. Wild Card 2: this time it’s personal – Make up your own connection to yesterday’s album and spin something, anything that you want.

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co.
F3053A09-BAFC-49D4-98D7-1345BCB6BAB0.jpeg
We’ve been chatting about one of my faves all day today in the Preorder thread so I figured it was an excellent time to give this a spin. I originally purchased this record in the mid 2000s and it’s been consistently played ever since.

Back