The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Wondering if anyone has any clues what's happening here?

Was using Apple TV > TV via HDMI > integrated amp's DAC via optical. Purchased a lightning to USB adapter and now going iPad > Lightning to USB > USB a - USB B into integrated DAC

Using Apple Music HI Res Lossless both times, but when using the iPad it's a little less meaty. Bass isn't non-existent, but it's not as "full" as the Apple TV, which is weird given the ATV technically isn't bit perfect and caps at 48khz.

I've checked Sound Check, EQ, Atmos, etc and the amp confirms it's getting higher resolution, so not entirely sure what could be at play here? Am I crazy?

Wondering if anyone has any clues what's happening here?

Was using Apple TV > TV via HDMI > integrated amp's DAC via optical. Purchased a lightning to USB adapter and now going iPad > Lightning to USB > USB a - USB B into integrated DAC

Using Apple Music HI Res Lossless both times, but when using the iPad it's a little less meaty. Bass isn't non-existent, but it's not as "full" as the Apple TV, which is weird given the ATV technically isn't bit perfect and caps at 48khz.

I've checked Sound Check, EQ, Atmos, etc and the amp confirms it's getting higher resolution, so not entirely sure what could be at play here? Am I crazy?
This is @Joe Macs specialty.

Hang on, I'll light up the Mac Symbol...

20120314_044444_16dcfbee.jpg

Last edited:
My only thought so far (and it's a stretch) is the connector I'm using is the USB 2 adapter and not USB 3, but I don't THINK that's what's causing my discrepancies.

This is @Joe Macs specialty.

I'll put up the Mac Symbol

View attachment 197854

My only thought so far (and it's a stretch) is the connector I'm using is the USB 2 adapter and not USB 3, but I don't THINK that's what's causing my discrepancies.

Everything appears to be set up how I would do it. I know that most sites tend to state to stick only to the most recent lightening to camera adapter, which is the 3 one, but the issues I’ve come across with the two are more drop outs or plain not working so I don’t think that’s it. Kinda had me stumped a bit.

Unless it’s cables and you need @Mather to spend your money for you…

Everything appears to be set up how I would do it. I know that most sites tend to state to stick only to the most recent lightening to camera adapter, which is the 3 one, but the issues I’ve come across with the two are more drop outs or plain not working so I don’t think that’s it. Kinda had me stumped a bit.

Unless it’s cables and you need @Mather to spend your money for you…
Happy to spend his money.

I’ll probably tinker a little tomorrow and see what I can find. It’s too late for hifi meddling.

If they were smart, they’d throw you a free year and/or a discount on a lifetime.
yea--they were doing some promos with the more expensive Nucleus for a free year at least. i bet they will do something like that at some point. get people hooked on it hah. but i'm pretty sure the machine becomes useless if you don't use Roon right?

yea--they were doing some promos with the more expensive Nucleus for a free year at least. i bet they will do something like that at some point. get people hooked on it hah. but i'm pretty sure the machine becomes useless if you don't use Roon right?
Yeah but I’m guessing most people using roon already have an endpoint/streamer.

I use my laptop as my Roon core. I’ve been keeping my eye out for a stand alone Roon Core and they don’t seem to be available from Roon any longer. I assume that is not what this is.. this is more like a Node?

I use my laptop as my Roon core. I’ve been keeping my eye out for a stand alone Roon Core and they don’t seem to be available from Roon any longer. I assume that is not what this is.. this is more like a Node?
Sort of? With space for two internal drives? Seems like a hybrid concept.

I think this is a primary core like the other nuclei but also like them it can double up as a player via usb if you want it to too.

If you want a standalone core the intel NUC with roon ROCK as its os is really easy to put together and does the job excellently.

I used to do that too but it was kinda annoying to have to keep my laptop on 24/7 or open it up anytime i wanted to listen to music.

The NUC as @Joe Mac mentioned is real easy to do, although nowadays it may just cost a similar amount to the Roon device. I suppose you need to add a HD to the Roon device though so NUC could still be cheaper. I love the NUC and it was extremely easy to set up and build.

Back