The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Niiiice! I’ve always liked the sound of their gear! I think a new phono stage is my next step still and the news in the tube thread has me more than a little excited…
I have had my eye on it for a very long time. Of course I ordered it new from their site and 5 minutes later a used/like new went up on another sales forum....so I may cancel and order the used/like new instead for a pretty significant discount...

well i caved....and ordered a Denafrips Ares II DAC. Last piece of the setup for me that I wanted to upgrade (for now of course).
That's one smooth sounding dac! Enjoy and let us know how you like it.

Last edited:
That's one smooth sounding dac! Enjoy and let us know how you like it. How long do you have to wait with everything being closed down over there ?
I'll let you know how it is! I ordered it direct from Vinshine....but then I ended up buying the used/like-new one. Tried to cancel the Vinshine order so we'll see haha....if not might end up with a discounted Ares II to sell on here :D

I'll let you know how it is! I ordered it direct from Vinshine....but then I ended up buying the used/like-new one. Tried to cancel the Vinshine order so we'll see haha....if not might end up with a discounted Ares II to sell on here :D
1651071719251.png
😊

So how does everyone decide this great divide between digital vs analog listening?

My vinyl collection is more targeted towards older records that bring some things from the dusty era and I enjoy the occasional special releases (i.e. Mofi, one steps, etc...)

I think all newer releases, even including Daft Punk for example, are going to be a Qobuz listen for me.
The DAC's and streamers are incredible these days.
I just prefer an old vintage record cut 40+ years ago to digital but I really appreciate the technology for immediate playing some fresh tunes.

Last edited:
And maybe I am just looking for the AAA chain at the end of the day for vinyl. I am questioning why we love this expensive inconvenience at the end of the day.
Basically for me, my best records sound better than the high res streamed versions of the same album. So I know if it's a well mastered and pressed record, it'll beat my high res streaming.

Basically for me, my best records sound better than the high res streamed versions of the same album. So I know if it's a well mastered and pressed record, it'll beat my high res streaming.
I'm following your thought there. Is there a method you decide to buy vs stream?

I'm following your thought there. Is there a method you decide to buy vs stream?
Nawwwt really. It's more that in many cases I don't keep borderline vinyl that's outdone by the stream. Because what's the point. I suppose down the line when we all live in an arid hellscape and Tidal doesn't exist and all media must be bought using actual humans as payment that I may regret getting rid of the vinyl. But at that point I think I'll have other things to worry about...

But I also do use it to check mastering sometimes, so see if something may sound particularly good on vinyl.

So how does everyone decide this great divide between digital vs analog listening?

My vinyl collection is more targeted towards older records that bring some things from the dusty era and I enjoy the occasional special releases (i.e. Mofi, one steps, etc...)

I think all newer releases, even including Daft Punk for example, are going to be a Qobuz listen for me.
I just prefer an old vintage record cut 40+ years ago to digital but I really appreciate the technology for immediate playing some fresh tunes.
For me it really varies. I have a lot of live music and I would much rather listen to a 90 min concert with a digital file that is gapless any day over spreading it out over 2 records. I also have a lot of digital files of good quality vinyl rips, stuff I will probably never be able to afford on vinyl, though the Tone Poets does cut into that.

Streaming from Apple is for when I am at work or in the car, though I have a decent quality DAP that I use when I am walking around.

In short, I bought all my music on CD or MP3 up until 10 years ago, so that’s my main split. I need to consider whether I really want to go back and buy stuff on vinyl again - I did this a wee bit, but I’m now rethinking this. I’m kind of like you - older music on vinyl, newer on stream until it clicks. I need to get a better digital flow though, as I really don’t play much of that stuff.

In short, I bought all my music on CD or MP3 up until 10 years ago, so that’s my main split. I need to consider whether I really want to go back and buy stuff on vinyl again - I did this a wee bit, but I’m now rethinking this. I’m kind of like you - older music on vinyl, newer on stream until it clicks. I need to get a better digital flow though, as I really don’t play much of that stuff.
Speaking of vinyl, did all yours make the journey down under safely?

Nawwwt really. It's more that in many cases I don't keep borderline vinyl that's outdone by the stream. Because what's the point. I suppose down the line when we all live in an arid hellscape and Tidal doesn't exist and all media must be bought using actual humans as payment that I may regret getting rid of the vinyl. But at that point I think I'll have other things to worry about...

But I also do use it to check mastering sometimes, so see if something may sound particularly good on vinyl.
Ha my physique is not going to bring much value in vinyl.

Welcome to the circus 🎪

Streaming/Music Server
A Mix really here, auditioning things out, discovering new music, material thats too expensive or N/A on vinyl, sometimes digital sounds better than some vinyl, and mostly when I'm lazy to play records 😊

Most newer albums are streamed for me these days unless the price is really good. Otherwise I’m either downloading or streaming them via Roon/Qobuz. And vinyl budget goes toward older titles or reissues from the usual suspects (AP, MoFi, Intervention, Craft, Impex, etc). I do still love spinning records so I prefer vinyl especially if the mastering/cutting is done by one of the four horsemen— KG/CB/BG/RKS.

Most newer albums are streamed for me these days unless the price is really good. Otherwise I’m either downloading or streaming them via Roon/Qobuz. And vinyl budget goes toward older titles or reissues from the usual suspects (AP, MoFi, Intervention, Craft, Impex, etc). I do still love spinning records so I prefer vinyl especially if the mastering/cutting is done by one of the four horsemen— KG/CB/BG/RKS.
So help with the initials Kevin Grey, Bernie Grundman, Boseman and who is RKS?

Back