The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Is there a way to export data from one account and import it into another account?
Pretty easy actually...
Go to Collection, then on the top you can hit "export my collection" and it generates a CSV. You'll get an email when it's ready to download

Then set up a new account and go to:

import the CSV you just exported/downloaded. A few things:
*Seems like you can't edit the CSV in other software then import
*If you have custom fields in the collection, just need to make sure you add those to the new account before uploading

Trying to avoid using my phone as much, so I’ve dug out my Sandisk Clip Jam MP3 player. Don’t know if I’m convincing myself, but it sounds great for what it is - plays FLACs and WAV files, and definitely sounds better than Bluetooth to Spotify.

I don’t disagree with either of you but headphone cables on packed public transport were much more of a pain in the arse. Being in the car more these days I’m streaming through a usb cable to CarPlay which with unlimited data and hi res streaming is actually pretty excellent anyway.

I don’t disagree with either of you but headphone cables on packed public transport were much more of a pain in the arse. Being in the car more these days I’m streaming through a usb cable to CarPlay which with unlimited data and hi res streaming is actually pretty excellent anyway.
Public transit, ewwww ;)

But yes that is the drawback of the IEMs.

Public transit, ewwww ;)

But yes that is the drawback of the IEMs.

Yeah totally. Well over two years off it at rush hour and I’m currently managing to park in work but that will inevitably end and it’ll be back to the tram, the longer I can delay it the better!

I used to have wired over ear headphones and on the subway in NY. The wires got caught on someone or something at least once a day…even if the cable was short.

@jamieanderson1968 i have a Fiio DAP but it was an early model and the UI is really awful on it. Which model do you have? From what I’ve seen they drastically overhauled everything since I got one

@jamieanderson1968 i have a Fiio DAP but it was an early model and the UI is really awful on it. Which model do you have? From what I’ve seen they drastically overhauled everything since I got one
I have a FiiO M7 which I think might be discontinued. Got it a couple of years ago, early in the pandemic for a good price. I used to have one of those Shanling DAPs that was the size of an iPod Nano but lost it. Which was for the best since my big fingers and bad eyes didn't like it.

The M7 uses an Android OS. The touch screen is nice and easy to use (no crappy scroll wheel). And being a bit bigger I can feel it in my pocket so I don't lose it.

One of the joys of the Clip Jam is that it's tiny, so it's easier to hide away. Maybe it's the trains being bigger here, but I think I'll be OK!

I have a FiiO M7 which I think might be discontinued. Got it a couple of years ago, early in the pandemic for a good price. I used to have one of those Shanling DAPs that was the size of an iPod Nano but lost it. Which was for the best since my big fingers and bad eyes didn't like it.

The M7 uses an Android OS. The touch screen is nice and easy to use (no crappy scroll wheel). And being a bit bigger I can feel it in my pocket so I don't lose it.
The Fiio I had didn’t have a touch screen and essentially just had a folder structure with text and a scroll wheel as the UI. It was pretty much like an OG iPod. It sounds quite nice though and is okay for plane rides and things but I’ve just mostly used Bluetooth headphones for traveling lately and it doesn’t have Bluetooth.

IEMs usually fall out of me ears annoyingly so I never used them much.

The Fiio I had didn’t have a touch screen and essentially just had a folder structure with text and a scroll wheel as the UI. It was pretty much like an OG iPod. It sounds quite nice though and is okay for plane rides and things but I’ve just mostly used Bluetooth headphones for traveling lately and it doesn’t have Bluetooth.

IEMs usually fall out of me ears annoyingly so I never used them much.
I picked up a pair of cheap IEMs because I tend to lose them, but the fit on these are perfect.

Planes are definitely made for bluetooth. No wires to get snagged. I have a pair of Beats that I use just for planes.

The Denafrips Ares II has landed! I'll let it burn in some more but it's a used unit so should have some burn in already.

In terms of connections, is USB or optical audio recommended going from my streamer? I have the Aries Mini as my streamer on my main setup.

The Denafrips Ares II has landed! I'll let it burn in some more but it's a used unit so should have some burn in already.

In terms of connections, is USB or optical audio recommended going from my streamer? I have the Aries Mini as my streamer on my main setup.

Use the USB. Optical has some benefits but the pay off is limited to 24/96 where you can go full hi res and native DSD with the USB.

Man….I’m really impressed with this Denafrips Ares II. It sounds excellent. It’s warm but not overly so. Everything I have thrown at it so far sounds great—vocals in particular sound really natural. Lots of nice detail and balance.

I know Denafrips recommends swapping out the power cord. any recommendations? Don’t want to spend a ton but have always heard about the Pangea power cables

Man….I’m really impressed with this Denafrips Ares II. It sounds excellent. It’s warm but not overly so. Everything I have thrown at it so far sounds great—vocals in particular sound really natural. Lots of nice detail and balance.

I know Denafrips recommends swapping out the power cord. any recommendations? Don’t want to spend a ton but have always heard about the Pangea power cables
I think @HiFi Guy recommends the Pangea for about 100

If you can find one used the best I have used for the money/value are the Harmonic Technology Pro11 designed by Jim Wang who is now retired.

some say optical has slightly more detail, I would be fine with usb

The Pangea cables I’ve bought so far have all been great. The 14SE (SE stands for source equipment) is probably the right one for the job.

Back