The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Yeah it's weird, I play my music through ProPlayer but it doesn't show Chromecast as an option...

oh odd. Dongle into your amp might be the best bet, I'm guessing your fancy Arcam AVR has a pretty sweet DAC in it regardless.

oh odd. Dongle into your amp might be the best bet, I'm guessing your fancy Arcam AVR has a pretty sweet DAC in it regardless.
Yeah I just checked and Bluesound does not natively support Chromecast, you have to plug in a dongle... Blech... No biggie.

Yeah it's weird, I play my music through ProPlayer but it doesn't show Chromecast as an option...
Nothing easy. Could try the BluOS app on Android, it should see the files and that might work in a faux-airplay set up.

Easier is find an app on your computer (you have one?) and covert ALAC to FLAC.

Nothing easy. Could try the BluOS app on Android, it should see the files and that might work in a faux-airplay set up.

Easier is find an app on your computer (you have one?) and covert ALAC to FLAC.

Yeah either that or if you had a NAS for films or something could put them in a folder in it and mount it to the blue sound app.

Roon really does make such things easier, even though it is just too expensive for someone like me who is using 99% vinyl!

Yeah either that or if you had a NAS for films or something could put them in a folder in it and mount it to the blue sound app.

Roon really does make such things easier, even though it is just too expensive for someone like me who is using 99% vinyl!
I used Roon for few months. It's super!
But decided I can't justify spending money on streaming when my wife stares at all the square cardboard boxes coming through the door.
Edit- I did keep Qobuz for now.

But decided I can't justify spending money on streaming when my wife stares at all the square cardboard boxes coming through the door.

Yeah I’m happy to spend on streaming but as it’s mainly in the car for my commute paying for Tidal/Qobuz which just do not play ball with CarPlay and then paying again for Roon seemed a bit extravagant! I did love how it worked and how you could seamlessly mix the Qobuz files with the 2TB library that I have. One day I’ll go there again no doubt but for now it’s just Apple Music in the car!

Edit- I did keep Qobuz for now.
Could PlexAmp a try. It allows for connecting your Tidal account, not sure if it does Qobuz as well. Also not sure if it integrates it like Roon with your local collection.

Could PlexAmp a try. It allows for connecting your Tidal account, not sure if it does Qobuz as well. Also not sure if it integrates it like Roon with your local collection.

I don’t know why but every time I’ve tried to use it me and plex have just not got on at all.

I don’t know why but every time I’ve tried to use it me and plex have just not got on at all.
It is pretty good. I have a Plex server setup on my computer and watch video from it with my Apple TV.

PlexAMP pulls the same info from AllMusic that Roon does. Seems a bit more constricted with adding your own metadata than Roon.

well i caved....and ordered a Denafrips Ares II DAC. Last piece of the setup for me that I wanted to upgrade (for now of course).

Niiiice! I’ve always liked the sound of their gear! I think a new phono stage is my next step still and the news in the tube thread has me more than a little excited…

Back