The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

very interesting

still wont join the roon ecosystem because i only have one thing i would use roon with.. a laptop that i could easily just put audirvana and have things like tidal integration no problem but also be able to do other things and not have to have a huge server
Yep! I agree that I don't think it would make sense for you with your setup. I'm really enjoying the NUC now though. It has been nice not having to run it off my main computer at home. I'm digging the new layout and features so far but need to mess with it more!

Yep! I agree that I don't think it would make sense for you with your setup. I'm really enjoying the NUC now though. It has been nice not having to run it off my main computer at home. I'm digging the new layout and features so far but need to mess with it more!
i do like the idea of the things Valence can do.. as well as the magazine and the new design to make classical music easier to comprehend to those aficionados (who probably buy like DSD512 and subscribe to qobuz), i feel like if a more standalone player was able to do this stuff it would be a buy in a heartbeat... though i really like foobar's customization, and audirvanas integration with tidal (all the way to giving you the bitrate), its not the ultimate AIO experience

i wonder if i should just stick with foobar and the tidal app (i am actually sticking with MQA because having actually heard it on good and fairly cheap hardware it sounds fantastic and does make a difference), or integrate with audirvana so i only need to use one app and get aparently better sound but miss out on last.fm scrobbling and less versatile nature

Last edited:
legit tbh for a good while i was thinking "oh the ifi isilencer is doing nothing, its probably just snake oil and i wasted about 50 bucks"....

NO

NO ITS NOT

i listened to dream house from deafheavens live album.... IMMEDIATELY when i removed the isilencer i noted that things felt so weirdly shrill and somewhat artificial and the bass felt very undefined and just.. wasn't right

when i put the isilencer+ back i IMMEDIATELY noticed a difference... the bass felt richer (and maybe a little bit more)... the audio felt a lot less harsh and more detailed... and i almost felt a bit of a soundstage improvement

I like it. Not least because portrait mode works on my Fire HD tablet.

I don't, however, feel like im in the Guggenheim gazing at airy art. I still feel like i'm in my lounge trying to work out which REM album to listen to.

Last edited:
legit tbh for a good while i was thinking "oh the ifi isilencer is doing nothing, its probably just snake oil and i wasted about 50 bucks"....

NO

NO ITS NOT

i listened to dream house from deafheavens live album.... IMMEDIATELY when i removed the isilencer i noted that things felt so weirdly shrill and somewhat artificial and the bass felt very undefined and just.. wasn't right

when i put the isilencer+ back i IMMEDIATELY noticed a difference... the bass felt richer (and maybe a little bit more)... the audio felt a lot less harsh and more detailed... and i almost felt a bit of a soundstage improvement
How long were you using it for? This is a good argument for not making snap judgments on audio gear. There have been plenty of times where I bought something new and thought that I didn't notice much of a difference. Then after weeks or months of listening to it, when I went back to the way it was, I noticed a very large difference. Your ears get trained a bit and things you thought were subtle really start to jump out when you switch back to the old gear.

How long were you using it for? This is a good argument for not making snap judgments on audio gear. There have been plenty of times where I bought something new and thought that I didn't notice much of a difference. Then after weeks or months of listening to it, when I went back to the way it was, I noticed a very large difference. Your ears get trained a bit and things you thought were subtle really start to jump out when you switch back to the old gear.
i had it on with JUST the isilencer on it and just left it there for about a month or so...

i did for one second remove it too see if i noticed it and noticed nothing.. but now even if i remove it for like 6 seconds an play a song i am like "yeah there is more warmth and control with the silencer on"

i had it on with JUST the isilencer on it and just left it there for about a month or so...

i did for one second remove it too see if i noticed it and noticed nothing.. but now even if i remove it for like 6 seconds an play a song i am like "yeah there is more warmth and control with the silencer on"
Yep! This is why it's difficult to just listen to something quickly and try to hear a difference. I know my ears definitely aren't good enough to notice something like that immediately. I have noticed it with my DAC and other items in my audio chainm whereas when I first got it, I noticed some small differences but now it seems night and day to what I was using before.

New roon is here!
I decided to get Roon, and all I have is Quobuz. No NAS or other offline library. I had been on the fence after enjoying it for a trial run, but didnt love the navigation. My logic is the discovery aspect will be worth the cost to me. I'm betting I'll find multiple new artists I really like per month, and that's incredibly valuable to me. Also, the 1.8 is definitely easier to navigate and there's an entertainment value to the info I can read on the artists

I decided to get Roon, and all I have is Quobuz. No NAS or other offline library. I had been on the fence after enjoying it for a trial run, but didnt love the navigation. My logic is the discovery aspect will be worth the cost to me. I'm betting I'll find multiple new artists I really like per month, and that's incredibly valuable to me. Also, the 1.8 is definitely easier to navigate and there's an entertainment value to the info I can read on the artists
I have been using it a little over a year now. I use it every single day. I really like the new updates so far and I do find that when connected to Qobuz, I do discover new music pretty regularly. The real strength to me is blending my downloaded music seamlessly with Qobuz. According to the stats on the updated Roon interface, I'm at 920 albums between downloads and Qobuz favorites (almost 12,000 songs) and it doesn't skip a beat.

This is what I envy about roon
I thought ya didn't have tons of downloaded music? Or you just store it on your laptop?

I really like the new interface and even stats. It breaks down how much you listen to a week and lots of other kinda interesting details which are fun to look at for me. I totally get that it's expensive and not worth the additional costs to a lot of people. But especially this past year with working from home, I just have music on for most of the day and it's worth it for me.

I thought ya didn't have tons of downloaded music? Or you just store it on your laptop?
i store it on my laptop.. i dont have a streamer or anything but i have 100 gigs of exclusively MP3 and FLAC audio on both my phone and my laptop (i have a good sized SD card and UAPP to make my LG a DAP)

with UAPP and even audirvana it does seem like you need to actually know what files you already have and play them on there and go to your albums section, same with UAPP... you cant just use a universal search and have any option you want on there (probably prioritizing the most high quality copy like a DSD or MQA version over a V0 MP3)

i store it on my laptop.. i dont have a streamer or anything but i have 100 gigs of exclusively MP3 and FLAC audio on both my phone and my laptop (i have a good sized SD card and UAPP to make my LG a DAP)

with UAPP and even audirvana it does seem like you need to actually know what files you already have and play them on there and go to your albums section, same with UAPP... you cant just use a universal search and have any option you want on there (probably prioritizing the most high quality copy like a DSD or MQA version over a V0 MP3)
Gotcha. Yea that's the other really nice thing with Roon. I have a bunch of MP3s but it will recommend the Qobuz version as my main version to listen to, or replace Qobuz versions with higher res FLACs. Other times, I may have a lower res version but I like that mastering better so I want Roon to prefer that version when listening, so it's all very simple. I tried JRiver and a few other similar apps and just found the interfaces annoying or not very practical to use. I used the Aries lightning app for a bit and it just wasn't a great UI.

The downside, as you and everyone else is well aware, is just the price. I kinda wish I had sprung for the lifetime one when I originally signed up because now it has gone up pretty substantially.

Just one question before I buy everything

The hip-dac manual recommends using a USB 3.0 port, but I was thinking of getting something like a jitterbug for a slight sound benefit, I dunno if this will cause issues with certain formats like DSD or MQA or not enough bandwidth.. I wanna make sure before I buy something that is more expensive like that

I had a Dragonfly Black2.Jitterbug combo, It was ok at the the time, I would say the Jitterbug slightly cleaned up the sound like 5-10% at the most. I feel something like a Schitt dac w/Unison usb sounds better but they do not do DSD.

I had a Dragonfly Black2.Jitterbug combo, It was ok at the the time, I would say the Jitterbug slightly cleaned up the sound like 5-10% at the most. I feel something like a Schitt dac w/Unison usb sounds better but they do not do DSD.
WAYYYYY too late for that

i bought a hip dac (i needed portability and to a smaller extent MQA), and the isilencer and raved about how much fuller and warmer it made things sound

Asking for friend (no, really). Anyone have a recommendation for music player app for Windows ?

Something simple as he is recently retired, he has converted much of his cd's to mps3 already, but something on the "Simple side", free is a bonus, that can play, organize, show nice album art, auto tag ?, rip and burn cd's , and Spotify would be things he would like.

He just got himself a new windows 10 mini laptop with external monitor, SSD, and optical drive.

Last edited:
Asking for friend (no, really). Anyone have a recommendation for music player app for Windows ?

Something simple as he is recently retired, he has converted much of his cd's to mps3 already, but something on the "Simple side", free is a bonus, that can play, organize, show nice album art, auto tag ?, rip and burn cd's , and Spotify would be things he would like.

He just got himself a new windows 10 mini laptop with external monitor, SSD, and optical drive.
I’m not sure that one app can do all of that (and is also free)! Others may be more knowledgeable than me though.

I’m not sure that one app can do all of that (and is also free)! Others may be more knowledgeable than me though.

Yeah you’re right. I can’t think one either paid or free that does all of that.

Yeah you’re right. I can’t think one either paid or free that does all of that.

Seems like Mediamonkey?, Jriver can ? Foobar is free but looks a bit convoluted even though they call it modular. He can always do Spottily on it's own.

Back