The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

can you explain this further? are you saying instead of a bluetooth receiver, use a wifi device that picks up my iPhone? I don't have many downloaded tracks so I just want to be able to play Amazon prime music and xm (app) from my phone and have my system pick it up. I don't care how its done. And as a matter of fact my iPhone BT has been wonky lately on certain devices, so if I can move away from that I will be super happy.

I have all the hardware set up in a supply closet, as I have enough crap in my office. I really want all hardware out of the way. Plus, I am able to hook my spare TT up directly to the Dynaudio connect box (via my ifi phono amp).

And I also have a sonos connect sound bridge not being used. So I would LOVE for that to be my "hub". The GUI for the sonus app is great so would love to keep using that.

any of this make sense?

I'm not familiar with Sonos at all...I looked at the Sonos Connect Sound Bridge but it looks like a wireless bridge for the Sonos. You want a Sonos that has an Aux out, not sure that exists. If you want to play Amazon prime and are not against having an amazon device, the Echo Dot is dead easy for Spotify or Amazon music. It works with Tidal, but only through voice for now. It doesn't support AirPlay though. I use an Echo Dot on my other stereo. You can use voice commands or it works as a Spotify Connect device and you can control it from your phone.

I'm not familiar with Sonos at all...I looked at the Sonos Connect Sound Bridge but it looks like a wireless bridge for the Sonos. You want a Sonos that has an Aux out, not sure that exists. If you want to play Amazon prime and are not against having an amazon device, the Echo Dot is dead easy for Spotify or Amazon music. It works with Tidal, but only through voice for now. It doesn't support AirPlay though. I use an Echo Dot on my other stereo. You can use voice commands or it works as a Spotify Connect device and you can control it from your phone.
The Sonos Port would do the job. It has both native streaming and AirPlay support with output to an external amp.

Unfortunately, I’m not very up to speed on DACs. :/

I was reading up on the Jitterbug. Sounds like snake oil to me. Besides, it's USB 2, so might make the Hip-dac worse.
Thankfully ifi actually answered it for me

It seems the jitterbug won't really harm the sound or anything but there is less capacity and headroom so it's not needed

Thankfully ifi actually answered it for me

It seems the jitterbug won't really harm the sound or anything but there is less capacity and headroom so it's not needed

Sorry late to this. I had a jitterbug. Didn’t like it and it seemed to not work properly with some of the gear I tried it with. With the gear i did use it with I didn’t notice any difference with it out of the equation. Wouldn’t recommend. Also if you’re looking for a plug in to reduce jitter I’m pretty sure that ifi do one themselves. Might be a better option with their dac?

I had a Jitterbug and got rid of it. I found it useless and cheaply built. On the other hand, I got a iFi Silencer and it was noticeably better.

I had a Jitterbug and got rid of it. I found it useless and cheaply built. On the other hand, I got a iFi Silencer and it was noticeably better.
Thanks

It's cheaper anyway and I know both are trustworthy as both have won EISA awards and a lot of respect from audiophiles journalists and are claimed to have notable changes (the jitterbug is old though when this isilencer probably have newer tech to be better)

The sonos connect has an aux/audio out. I think I am going to hunt down an older Connect with a Wyred modification and add a Schitt Modi 3+ and see what that gets me. Thanks for the input!

Is it next week? I thought I read 9/2 on their website?
Yea you're right--next week. I got excited.

Next week we’ll be rolling out the latest version of Roon, which is so big that we’re sharing a series of previews over the course of this week. Today, we bring you a peek at Roon’s completely new look and feel.

(that's from the email).

Now realizing that I think they did the european day/month instead of month/day.

Last edited:
Pretty inexplicable decision by him to take poor photos of the tablet rather than doing a screenshot.
Not sure what ya mean Joe...I think this is a very useful image to give you an idea of the changes

roon-v1.8-23.png.webp

Roon update coming tomorrow:
very interesting

still wont join the roon ecosystem because i only have one thing i would use roon with.. a laptop that i could easily just put audirvana and have things like tidal integration no problem but also be able to do other things and not have to have a huge server

and if i dont need the integration there is always foobar or Jriver (which it seems Jrivers selling point is a remote and stuff so pointless for me.. audirvana or bust for me)

Back