The Cure - all things big, small, and sticky sweet

On a related note, life sucks in 2023. What is up with this system? Why can’t we just try to get tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis?

On a related note, life sucks in 2023. What is up with this system? Why can’t we just try to get tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis?
yeah, I'm wondering that. been so caught up in hoping to get this verified fan thing I don't even know what the deal is with a gen public ticket sale.

thanks - so my new theory is people are getting notifications based on when they signed up for verified fan, since I know my brother signed up late in day after announcement, whereas I signed up within an hour of announcement.

Did you sign up quickly?

I’m just so bummed. I only go to like one concert a year. Feeling emotionally fragile here.
I go to a lot of shows, but mainly at venues of 300 or less capacity. The Cure and Radiohead are the only two bands I'll splurge and go see at huge venues. So yeah, if I don't get to one of these shows, I'll be really bummed.

EDIT: brother waitlisted too, fuck this

thanks - so my new theory is people are getting notifications based on when they signed up for verified fan, since I know my brother signed up late in day after announcement, whereas I signed up within an hour of announcement.

Did you sign up quickly?
I signed up right away and received an email at 5:34pm EST, so I’m not sure there’s much of a pattern here.

Did you sign up quickly?
My registration email came in at 8:06am on March 9. My (completely expected) waitlist email came in at 5:31pm March 14.

Had to search messenger, and finally found this.This was posted April 7, 2022 in a FB Pearl Jam group. I saw it re-posted in other groups as well. This is a message I sent to some friends.

this was posted in a PJ group. NYC is a different beast, but I do think some of it applies. Its sickening.

Alright. Let me shed some light on pre-sale. I worked in Marketing for Live Nation for 8 years. Here's the truth...

1.) "Verified fan." It doesn't exist. Pre-sale has nothing to do with ensuring only fans get tickets. What it does is establishes the value. When you register, the system scans your account to see what tickets you have purchased. New account? 5% chance of getting in. Only ever bought lawn? 30% chance. Bought floor? 70% chance. VIP or platinum? 100% chance. It comes down to ability to spend. Not if you are a fan. This is important because YOU are the control group. You set the initial price in the dynamic pricing.

2.) The control group. There is no such thing as Face Value in pre sale. It is based on dynamic pricing. Each venue is gauged to see what the average spend on tickets is. In the old days, the average between highest and lowest set the face value. Now, pre sale does. It is an active system that watches in real time how many sales are closed vs how many people enter the pre-sale. 70% close ratio is the target. If it averages 100% close ratio, ticket prices increase. If it is lower than 70%, the pricing decreases. This will fluctuate until the 70% is a flatline. So if you are seeing pricing the same now as you did 2 hours ago, it's because the system has flatlined at 70%.

3.) The timing. The 2 to 5 minutes you have to close the deal has nothing to do with released tickets and everything to do with allowing this system to adapt to the trend.

4.) If you are one of the first 500 people to purchase you are ABSOLUTELY paying anywhere from 20 to 60% more for the exact same tickets as the last 500.

5.) No. It absolutely does not matter whether you are buying lawn seats or platinum VIP. It's ALL part of the charade.

6.) Dead & Co has absolutely nothing to do with this. It's a monopoly as set by live Nation and bands have zero control of it.

7.) Over half of the well known resale sites are owned by the same shareholders of Live Nation. They double dip. It's how it works.

Stop buying into pre-sale and you will see prices become reasonable again.

1.) "Verified fan." It doesn't exist. Pre-sale has nothing to do with ensuring only fans get tickets. What it does is establishes the value. When you register, the system scans your account to see what tickets you have purchased. New account? 5% chance of getting in. Only ever bought lawn? 30% chance. Bought floor? 70% chance. VIP or platinum? 100% chance. It comes down to ability to spend. Not if you are a fan. This is important because YOU are the control group. You set the initial price in the dynamic pricing.
Well I suppose that means I never had a chance. I couldn’t tell you when I last bought tickets through Ticketmaster... it was probably 15+ years ago and I sure as hell didn’t pay anything extra. Ironically, I was absolutely going for spendy seats this time.

Last edited:
Waitlisted for Merriweather. But the hubs got in for Philly. We registered at the same time, and I had Philly as my second choice.

Well I suppose that means I never had a chance. I couldn’t tell you when I last bought tickets through Ticketmaster... it was probably 15+ years ago and I sure as hell didn’t pay anything extra. Ironically, I was absolutely going for spendy seats this time.
Weird thing is, I resurrected an old / original TM account that just sat for at least 10+ years when I was trying for verified Bruce tix (I think it was him) Anyway, there is no cell phone attached to that old account, so I had to get a code sent to my landline (yes I still have one to use for utilities etc, so I can ignore calls) to sign up for verified. Got the code via voice message and successfully registered.

My 'real" TM account got waitlisted. My old unused account was verified, and I got a code sent via email the next morning, in time for the verified sale! But, when I pulled tix I wanted and input the code, it came back as invalid. TM can fuck off. It's a total scam that scalpers / resellers get tix EVERY time.
I'm glad that I really do not care about the "big" acts anymore and can usually get tix for shows I want. But, I want to see the Cure again. Hoping for some luck in the general onsale and I LOVE that they are insisting on a face value ticket exchange, so even if I don't have tix a week prior to show, I think I can and will get them before or on day of show for Philly. NYC is a completely different story and I do not expect any luck there.

Because then the only people that get them are scalpers and all tickets are 200$ and up

1.) "Verified fan." It doesn't exist. Pre-sale has nothing to do with ensuring only fans get tickets. What it does is establishes the value. When you register, the system scans your account to see what tickets you have purchased. New account? 5% chance of getting in. Only ever bought lawn? 30% chance. Bought floor? 70% chance. VIP or platinum? 100% chance. I

Maybe I'm an outlier but I got presale approved for ATL and the last ticket I bought through TM was an LCD Soundsystem show back when their last album came out.

Had to search messenger, and finally found this.This was posted April 7, 2022 in a FB Pearl Jam group. I saw it re-posted in other groups as well. This is a message I sent to some friends.

this was posted in a PJ group. NYC is a different beast, but I do think some of it applies. Its sickening.

Alright. Let me shed some light on pre-sale. I worked in Marketing for Live Nation for 8 years. Here's the truth...

2.) The control group. There is no such thing as Face Value in pre sale. It is based on dynamic pricing. Each venue is gauged to see what the average spend on tickets is. In the old days, the average between highest and lowest set the face value. Now, pre sale does. It is an active system that watches in real time how many sales are closed vs how many people enter the pre-sale. 70% close ratio is the target. If it averages 100% close ratio, ticket prices increase. If it is lower than 70%, the pricing decreases. This will fluctuate until the 70% is a flatline. So if you are seeing pricing the same now as you did 2 hours ago, it's because the system has flatlined at 70%.

3.) The timing. The 2 to 5 minutes you have to close the deal has nothing to do with released tickets and everything to do with allowing this system to adapt to the trend.

4.) If you are one of the first 500 people to purchase you are ABSOLUTELY paying anywhere from 20 to 60% more for the exact same tickets as the last 500.

5.) No. It absolutely does not matter whether you are buying lawn seats or platinum VIP. It's ALL part of the charade.

6.) Dead & Co has absolutely nothing to do with this. It's a monopoly as set by live Nation and bands have zero control of it.

7.) Over half of the well known resale sites are owned by the same shareholders of Live Nation. They double dip. It's how it works.

Stop buying into pre-sale and you will see prices become reasonable again.
There was an article in Billboard about Ticketmaster clapping back not understanding why everyone hates them. Their pr was based on two things:
1. We have to make money
2. It’s the venues that are driving costs

After a couple of paragraphs and no sign of the “writer” pointing out that live nation is the venue and is Ticketmaster… I stopped reading.

Back