The Colemine Records rabbit hole

Now that more people have it and have had time to digest. What do you guys think of Ghost Funk Orchestra?

So I'm liking this a lot on first listen. There are elements of jazz, funk and psych all intertwined. It's hard to pin down but it all comes together, I think because of the great funky rhythms. Had some flashes of The Shacks, Mustapha Ozkent, The Whitefield Brothers and Karl Hector & The Malcouns in there while listening, all in a good way.

So I'm liking this a lot on first listen. There are elements of jazz, funk and psych all intertwined. It's hard to pin down but it all comes together, I think because of the great funky rhythms. Had some flashes of The Shacks, Mustapha Ozkent, The Whitefield Brothers and Karl Hector & The Malcouns in there while listening, all in a good way.
Yeah, it’s got this hazy psychedelic 60s feel but is modern and funky.

Now that more people have it and have had time to digest. What do you guys think of Ghost Funk Orchestra?
"A Song For Paul" seems a lot looser and free flowing (maybe less cohesive?? not sure?) than their "Night Walker" EP. It's an enjoyable listen and is definitely a grower: the obvious singles are accessible on first listen but I keep uncovering little things with each spin. The last minute of the outro on "Modern Scene" always catches me off guard but has been hitting the right parts of my brain with that electric piano.

New GA-20 track available for streaming. The email I got today said that less than 100 copies of the colored LP remains, in case anyone is sleeping on this. Loving the classic blues vibe on this and the previously available tracks. Reminiscent of the Black Keys first LP.

One of the previous tracks:

New GA-20 track available for streaming. The email I got today said that less than 100 copies of the colored LP remains, in case anyone is sleeping on this. Loving the classic blues vibe on this and the previously available tracks. Reminiscent of the Black Keys first LP.

One of the previous tracks:

Spot on assessment with early Black Keys vibe. Little less distortion on Lonely Soul but the same emotional feel. Like if the Black Keys were channeling the Beatles instead of Junior Kimbrough.

"A Song For Paul" seems a lot looser and free flowing (maybe less cohesive?? not sure?) than their "Night Walker" EP. It's an enjoyable listen and is definitely a grower: the obvious singles are accessible on first listen but I keep uncovering little things with each spin. The last minute of the outro on "Modern Scene" always catches me off guard but has been hitting the right parts of my brain with that electric piano.
I think you’ve caught exactly what I was thinking when listening to it. GFO flows and grooves along and is pretty good along the way. Modern Scene is the track that had me grabbing the sleeve to check which track it was. Like most Colemine output, it starts good and grows with each listen and is a really great monthly accompaniment to Ikebe Shakedown this (last) month.

Everything is just an insta-buy. Even though it’s not a subscription service (especially here in Europe) it still means I get consistent records every month and the few holes I need to fill.

Last edited:
I think you’ve caught exactly what I was thinking when listening to it. GFO flows and grooves along and is pretty good along the way. Modern Scene is the track that had me grabbing the sleeve to check which track it was. Like most Colemine output, it starts good and grows with each listen and is a really great monthly accompaniment to Ikebe Shakedown this (last) month.

Everything’s is just an insta-buy. Even though it’s not a subscription service (especially here in Europe) it still means I get consistent records every month and the few holes I need to fill.

Couldn’t agree more on both the album being a great compliment to Ikeba Shakedown and also the insta-buy status that Colemine has earned in my book. I don’t bother listening to anything I order from them until it arrives in the mail. They have yet to disappoint.

Back