The Colemine Records rabbit hole

@LeeVing you have the splatter? How’s your’s?

I mean I think it’s a mix of our expectations of Colemine, the material of the sleeves and well, ATO isn’t known for audiophile pressings.

Hey, @Plaid Room / Colemine
I asked VMP this and got sort of 🤷‍♂️ In regards to Fat Possum, but with ATO, does there seem to be any interest from them in why your pressings are so much more regarded than their’s are. I mean even the Durand Albums they’ve done don’t touch the quality of what you guys do with even transparent colors.

Good question, I think it really comes down to the pressing plant. We use Gotta Groove, and have always been SUPER happy with them. I will say, I think some plants are better than others, but I don't want to name drop about the ones I think are bad. But, it's also a mix of....who mastered it, who cut the lacquer, etc. So many factors go into it, one thing going wrong can really mess it up.

ATO used GZ for the Pumas LP, which we were actually very happy with. In general, we've had a really great experience with almost all GZ pressings. Barbara Howard was done there originally, and we couldn't have been happier. I honestly think the issues with this Pumas LP were pretty isolated, even though it was a bit more than normal.

I will say, I think some plants are better than others, but I don't want to name drop about the ones I think are bad.

**cough** Rainbo - United **cough**

But as you said it's more than just the pressing plant. There are combos that I wish companies would stop using - as it's depressing to open a much desired record only to see it's a Rainbo pressing of a David Cheppa cut. :mad:

I see there are two separate entries on Discogs- one for cream w/ splatter and one for clear w/ splatter. Is there really a difference? Stickers for both say cream, mine has clear in it with cream in the splatter.

What I ordered from the label is a bit on the clear side than cream colored....but I don't think there is a difference, just random coloring happens during manufacturing.

I see there are two separate entries on Discogs- one for cream w/ splatter and one for clear w/ splatter. Is there really a difference? Stickers for both say cream, mine has clear in it with cream in the splatter.

They need to be merged...there is no "clear" variant. - but while the new one does have better data, it also needs some work pre/post merge.

So I got my replacement copy of Black Pumas (splatter version) from Bullmoose and it's just as noisy as my original copy. Is this a wide spread issue with the splatter or do I just have awful luck? I'd be fine with any version at this point that doesn't sound this bad as this album is amazing.
Well we know there is one good copy.😉

For what it's worth, I have the cream splatter and my copy has no issues at all.

My local radio station just announced a Durand Jones & the Indications in-studio performance tomorrow, which I will be attending.

What's the max appropriate number of LPs/Singles to bring and ask them to sign, and does it increase if I spread them out between me and my wife? 😂

They were on a tight schedule and didn't have time to do a meet and greet at all. 😭 😭 😭

But the performance was so good.

Yeah, they posted on Facebook that they have a leaky ceiling and will be closed for a few days, but no records were harmed.
Just got an email that they are having a sale with a 15% code of WATERSUCKS. Only until Thursday midnight.

Edit: to clarify, the sale is online at Plaid Room Records - not sure if it works on the Colemine website

Last edited:
Just got an email that they are having a sale with a 15% code of WATERSUCKS. Only until Thursday midnight.

Edit: to clarify, the sale is online at Plaid Room Records - not sure if it works on the Colemine website
Yeah, it’s just Plaid Room. I had a bunch of stuff sitting in my Colemine cart for a while and thought if this code worked, this was the time to pull the trigger, but nah. My cart will just continue to grow for now, I s’pose.

Couldn’t you just buy them off the Plaidroom site?
That's what I did. Had the Orgone mixtape in my Colemine cart and just got it a Plaid room instead. In fact, I was looking at one of the Delvon Lamarr Organ trio LPs - it was listed as sold out on the Colemine site, but is available on the Plaid room site.

Couldn’t you just buy them off the Plaidroom site?
I know there was something that was at colemine but not on plaid room, but I can’t figure out what it was now, since it looks like it’s all on both. Maybe it was something that I added to preorder as a subscriber a while back. Thanks!

Back